Harbeth Speakers- Doing Something Right....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Jul 25, 2019.

1. james

james Summon The Queen

I bought a REL to use with my KEF 102/2’s. When I moved those out and put my Snell J’s back into active duty I kept the REL in place. I love it. I wouldn’t mind a second one.

2. gov

gov Forum Resident

Not SHL5 related but damn...

just finished spinning my In Rainbows 45rpm set and only wish whomever thinks these things need 300w or can’t do rock/electronic was sitting next to me for the last 40 minutes

blame it on the vieux carre

o_O

hvbias, GyroT, lonelysea and 4 others like this.
  3. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

nice. I had to look that up :) looks tasty.
    "damn the torpedos" sounds amazing on the C7s or the SHL5s- such bright shimmering refined LOUD rock, very dynamic and authoritative punch.

GyroT and gov like this.
  4. james

james Summon The Queen

if you have streaming capabilities, listen to “House of Cards” from that album. I’ve used it as a hi-fi test track for a while.

Fruff76, gov and Joe Spivey like this.
  5. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Due to a cat-induced injury, I had to replace the supertweeter in one of my SHL5+. The replacement, obtained from the Harbeth importer, has a slight design change - there is now a pair of guards to prevent the intrusion of curious fingers or paws.

GyroT likes this.
  6. GyroT

GyroT Forum Resident

Ouch!!! Not having a dedicated music room, but two cats, I can feel your pain. I have to move my c7 's each evening,(close together and face to face) so that mine don't suffer a similar fate. We will be moving to a new house, actually, a very old house, but it will not be ready until this time next year, and it will have a room with a door so our furry friends can be kept at bay and my Harbeths live to play another day. Hope your SHL5 pluses are back on song and your cat likewise.

33na3rd likes this.
  7. LivLif

LivLif Forum Resident

Has anyone here compared the 30.2 anniversary and the SHL+ Anniversary? Thoughts?

8. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I’m also curious in if anyone have gone from SHL5 Plus to 30.1 or even better 30.2 and can tell about the differences? I have the 5s in a rather small room today and think the 30s might perform even better there.

9. G B Kuipers

G B Kuipers Forum Resident

Not exactly, but I have owned both the older M30 and (currently) the SHL5 (non Plus). I have tried both sets in a large room as well as in my smaller music room. I prefer SHL5 in both settings. Perhaps surprisingly, I got great results with the SHL5 listening near/mid field in the smaller room.

avanti1960 and Echoes Myron like this.
  10. William Bryant

William Bryant Forum Resident

I love my new $2500 Harbeths but they present a dilemma now that my $2500 cat (a gift from a colleague; no way I can un-gift it) has become enamored with them. Disaster waiting to happen.

[​IMG]

hvbias, jcr64, jonwoody and 3 others like this.
  11. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Teach your cat some manners, it is possible you know !

Art K likes this.
  12. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Get some control man! That’s the definition of pu$$y whipped. Harbeths must be protected or your sentence shall be Bose.

ogdens_sliced, Art K and SandAndGlass like this.
  13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Looks like a case of metal grills waiting to happen?

Eigenvector likes this.
  14. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Yeah but it doesn't help when half the Harbeth owners out there say they don't do rock. And then the half that say it does rock perfectly fine, well, half of them say you just need to feed them lots of power. And the other half of that half say they sound just great with tubes.

For someone like me that is interested in the brand, frankly it's impossible to tell from reading what people online have to say. It shouldn't be so befuddling, but that's audio forums for you I guess.

My limited experience with the brand (P3ESR) suggests they did not do rock well with a tube amp. They probably need good power. Not 300w necessarily, but probably approaching 100w at least with a healthy damping factor. I'd like to hear them with my Classe CAP-80. Maybe I'll eventually grab a used pair to try out so I don't lose much money if I need to sell them.

15. G B Kuipers

I tried a Classe CAP151 for a while when I had the M30. Bad combo, very lifeless. Harbeths need not only a powerful but also a lively amp. E.g., Naim XS/Flatcap XS works very well. Lots of other great choices out there, I'm sure.

Dream On likes this.
  16. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Using shl5+ nearfield with McCormack dna225 power amp.Listen mostly to rock n blues....no complaints... very dynamic...i have owned larger,more expensive speakers and have zero regrets

17. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

Yup, could definitely be. The Classe is pretty warm and smooth for a SS amp. But it's what I own. If I was willing to buy another SS amp, and maybe I'd have to to do it right, I'd definitely look at the XS or XS-2.

18. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I'm using a Naim 272/250DR with my SHL5 Plus. Much more drive and definition than Supernait in this combo.

Echoes Myron and G B Kuipers like this.
  19. William Bryant

No! No! Anything but Bose!

Crazysteve likes this.
  20. William Bryant

I’m all ears (unlike my Scottish Fold). Tell me about something I haven’t tried yet.

21. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Start when they are little. When they do something you don't like or don't want them to do, gently but firmly grab them by the back of their neck/hair just like their mum would carry them around and shake the head gently. Do this immediately, not 1 min after their 'bad deed'.
    I've had cats all my life, never had any problems.

22. G B Kuipers

I believe you. Would love to hear that combo!

23. Bertram

Bertram Well-Known Member

I power my p3’s with an Exposure 3010 s2d and to me the higher power appears beneficial and while I don’t listen to the Rock genre much, everything else comes across with surprisingly good dynamics - at least to my ears.

Dream On likes this.
  24. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Water spray bottle...probably only have to do it once:)

25. William Bryant

My P3ESRs sound great with my Eagle 2, but I understand why some would say they don’t rock. Some people who like to listen to rock at home like to run the sound pressure levels way up. When I listen to rock at home I usually keep things below 90 dB. I understand why some would prefer it much louder; at 62 what I prefer is to preserve what’s left of my ears as long as possible.

120 watts at 8 ohms, 200 watts at 4 ohms
    50 amps peak output current
    Full power from DC to 200khz
    Damping factor 800

[​IMG]

TEA FOR ONE, Dream On, Art K and 2 others like this.