Harbeth Speakers- Doing Something Right....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

@Kristofferabild , thanks for sharing that synopsis. I do wonder what the target market is for this series? Those using an iPhone or computer as the source? Speakers marketed as 'active speakers' typically mean a source line level output fed directly to the speaker. That was perhaps not obvious given the summary you posted.

However, what's very interesting is Harbeth's investment into 'DSP' within the context of the active speakers. AI within the audio realm could be very powerful here. A proactive manufacturer could record (at the listening positions) dozens and even hundreds of "known" great sounding systems and rooms, including the best of show at the latest audio conferences, and then feed the frequency responses into a custom AI tensorflow to learn. If this were coupled with an input system, with a mic that feeds bass nodes and reflection point data back for a "DSP" decision, you could have a game changer.

2. Warm_tunes

Warm_tunes Forum Resident

A few months ago I talked in this thread about my Harbeth 40.3XS's and placement and using my Symposium platforms as stands... I recently got the Tontraeger stands for the 40.3's and made a video about the impact and how I set up the 40.3XD's in my room. Since there was some discussion here about this process I thought I'd share the video for anyone who is interested.

Mambo Sun, tIANcI, Aura and 6 others like this.
  3. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

You do a very good job with video production and presentation! Well done.

Warm_tunes likes this.
  4. MattHooper

MattHooper Forum Resident

Just quoting myself here from earlier in the thread because I finally got a chance to hear the Classic Spendor 1/2 model at a dealer. Rare as Sasquatch sightings!

I was curious to hear how it compared to my little Spendor S3/5s and to my memory of the similar sized Harbeth SuperHL5+ I owned for a while.

I'm not going in to tons of detail, but in essence I found the Spendors to have a sort of lighter "blond wood" timbre to the sound than the average Harbeth speaker. A bit more airy/sparkly. The general similarities were really obvious: there was that same sense of balance to everything in the spectrum, everything given a sense of proper weight and scale.
    Voices, sax, anything in the midrange had that nice combination of body, density, textural presence but yet still for voices softer, more human than on most other speakers.
    All the good stuff.

Though one thing did stick with me which also caused me to reflect with my time with the Super HL5+ and my time with other Harbeth models: While there was that sense of ease
    and fullness to the whole sound, and a surprising amount of extension for deep kick drum and bass parts, but also overall there was a sort of "produced by an empty box" character to the sound that I recognized from the Harbeth speakers. Hard to explain but that is the phrase that comes to mind. So in terms of frequency extension and tonal warmth, the right frequencies were there for kick drum and bass, but there wasn't quite the solidity, density and sense of authority and acoustic force as I get from my speakers at home (e.g. Joseph and Thiel) or many other speakers. That was also something I heard when comparing my HL5+ with my Thiel speakers at home. I think this aspect makes Harbeth (and Spendor Classic) speakers similar to another of my favorites, the Quad 57s - more of a place I love to visit, but not sure I could "live" there as a final speaker solution.

jfeldt, jonwoody, avanti1960 and 6 others like this.
  5. Clay B

Clay B Forum Resident

Nicely evocative description. Not easy to do.

6. Stonehenge

Stonehenge Forum Resident

Hi guys,

My listening room is about 3x5(meters). Based on your experience what speaker would suit me the best between M30.2 and SHL5+? I'm not planing to use a sub. Currently I'm using a Revox B250 as an amplifier, but I'm planning to change it sooner or later.
    At first I was inclined to choose SHL5+, but, based on what I've read so far, I started having second thoughts as my room might be too tiny for them.

yenyen and Dafox like this.
  7. yenyen

yenyen Forum Resident

10 feet x 16 feet? I'd say the 30.2. We have a backup 30.2, and it amply fills our well-damped 13 foot x 20 foot room.

ispace, Stonehenge and timind like this.
  8. bgiliberti

bgiliberti Will You Be My Neighbor?

The 30.2 is a much better speaker, regardless of room size. The crossover and the tweeter are from the 40. The SHL serves a different purpose.

ispace, Stonehenge, Helom and 2 others like this.
  9. Chris81

Chris81 Forum Resident

@Stonehenge : Forget a SHL5+ in 15sqm way to big, even if there will always people telling you it will work out. They hit the lowest room mode with full level and it will cause boom. Simple physic and yes I have tried it. Even the C7 XD was too big for that room without EQing

10. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

My room is a bit smaller than yours. About say 3.5m x 4m max. I had the SHL5+ in it and I must say it can work but you will not maximise the speaker’s full potential. Giving it more space will be better. But with the SHL5+ you won’t lack bass.

I now have the Graham Audio LS 8/1, for some tracks, the bass can be a little bit over powering. The LS 8/1 has more bass energy than the SHL5+.

The M30 will be just right for sure. If you aren’t a bass head, then there should be no issue with the low end. Mids are gorgeous though.

bgiliberti and Stonehenge like this.
  11. Djohm

Djohm Forum Resident

Hi Stone, my room size is similar to yours (although sealed) and I'm running the SHL5+ with no issues. I've got the front baffle about 48" out from the front wall (please see my profile pic for idea). My MLP is about 5' from the back wall, and there are no bass mode or node issues that I'm experiencing. I tried to implement the Rule of Thirds (close to it) and seem to work just fine for me. Even though I utilize a pair of subs, the 5+s can easily pressurize the enclosed room with good, clean (not earth shaking) bass without subs.

I contemplated between the C7ES3 and the SHL5+ prior to my purchase, and I am glad I went with the latter. Otherwise, I would've always wondered how the 5+ would sound in my room. Bottom line for me - I could live with these speakers until the 50th anniversary comes along.

Best advice, if possible, audition both kits in your room and see which one you like best. That wasn't possible for me, but am glad I went with the SHL5+ blindly without hearing them prior.

Good luck on your journey!

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Your description of the Spendor classic sound is really good. The latest Harbeth XD versions seemed to try and mimic that Spendor classic sound which I thought was unusual at the time. There is a noticeable but engaging coloration to the midrange and it is not the typical cabinet warmth coloration but it gives them a more airy smoothness and refinement.
    Not sure if it would become tiring over the long run but it might.
    The bass on my SHL5+ was good but not great, the boxiness you describe but also slightly out of sync on occasion which is why I sold them. A minor detraction in an otherwise amazing speaker that I could easily have lived with.
    The Spendors have much better bass and with the right amp and positioning is downright subwoofer impressive in depth.
    Fun stuff this hobby.

13. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Does anyone have any experience with putting the P3 on a wall? Can it be done? Or do they need to be on stands?
    Also I keep hearing that the P3 are near field speakers, but I assume they also work in a living room environment sitting about 13ft away. :)

14. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

Mine not on a wall, but not far.

Of course as my P3 pair was intended to be IN bookshelves.
    After managing the biggest cases for them, I moved them a bit to hear little or none improvment.
    Now they are a bit "pointed" at my ears after many tries/errors.
    The rear is on thick foam and the front part on thin foam to cancel some vibrations transmitted to the shelves,
    when I listen louder than usual.
    I use mine as intended nearfield speakers, about 1m to 1.5m from my ears.

Good thing is the sweet sounding to begin with, then "tailor" the P3 with positions.

15. tIANcI

I’ve always been keen to set them up really close to see how they perform. Not done it yet as I been kinda lazy. I hate my parquet flooring, it’s so uneven. Move speakers, gotta level them again.

How far apart are the speakers? Do you get that good 2 channel soundstage or is it more like a headphone kind of listening experience? Does the soundstage go deep? Thanks!

16. P3ESRXD

P3ESRXD Arnaud, still enjoying...with what I have

About 1.5m to 1.7m from each other still moving them to have some relief with some music.
    I sit on a "rolling" chair and adapt my listening position if required.

I'm lucky to have other choices of systems.
    For serious listening, I changed to C7-XD + Lavardin ISx REF. ( LP12 or ... Transrotor Max + the day's cartridge) in another room.

Some days changing places many times in that day.

tIANcI likes this.
  17. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Is the P3s only intended as near field speakers or can they work in a normal living room sitting 13 - 15 feet away?

18. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

I listen to mine from 5-6 feet away at moderate volume levels. They fare well in that application. I can't imagine listening to them from 2-3 times further away. I do think they are more suited to a nearfield setup. In a larger room, from further away, the C7 or M30 would surely be better options. But others may chime in with a different take. Pretty sure I've seen pics of people's systems where the P3 is being used at longer distances. A lot probably depends on what you ask of the speakers in terms of music choices and volume level.

19. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I think they are best in a smaller room.

GyroT and tIANcI like this.
  20. tIANcI

Not the best at 13-15 feet away unless you just want some good background music. They are very nice at 5-8 feet away in a small to medium small room. But again, at 13-15 feet with subs … will be interesting. Probably workable.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  21. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I listen to mine from about 6-7 feet away if I’m in “my spot.” They excel there. Sometimes though I listen from a little alcove (about 12-15 feet away) if I’m working on a laptop and they still sound great. Not as immersive as when I’m in my spot, but I can still appreciate the quality of the sound for sure.

timind likes this.
  22. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Quick question - are Tonträger stands worth it? I'm happy with my system but I have some money to burn and I'm thinking of getting a pair for my C7'S.

ispace likes this.
  23. this_machine

this_machine Forum Resident

They're good looking stands and seem well-made. I don't think you'll have any revelations in audio quality unless your C7's are currently on the floor.

ispace, timind and Glmoneydawg like this.
  24. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

NO.
    The Skylan stand are excellent as are the sound anchors.

25. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

On 40.2 speakers, the Ton Trager stands convinced me to keep the speakers. I used Skylan stands by themselves and then experimented with Isoacoustics Gaia footers in various positions and some elements of the sound would improve but I was unconvinced in my open room setup. The sound was just not cohesive.
    The Ton Trager stands were a revelation in my case. I still have the 40.2 speakers 4 or 5 years later. Maybe it's the weight and bulk of the 40.2 speakers that made the stand swap so dramatic.

GyroT, Dafox, this_machine and 2 others like this.