Has anyone heard of a record label called Alternative Fox?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by guyfreisch, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guyfreisch

guyfreisch New Member Thread Starter

I recently picked up a reissued copy of Otis Redding's debut LP, "Pain in My Heart." The label is called Alternative Fox. The promo copy says the LP, which plays at 45 rpm, is "remastered." Does anyone know anything about this label? Are their reissues legitimate, or are they another of those "import" labels that re-press old titles without the appropriate licensing or the original master tapes? Any info appreciated. For what it's worth, I think this LP looks and sounds great. Also includes several tracks that didn't make the original LP. Best wishes to all, Sean McDevitt

2. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Bump, I'd like to know about this label as well...

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Is there any mention of being licensed from Atlantic Records or Warner Music? If not, it is one of those PD label reissues from CD or needledrop sources. Those are common in Europe.

4. Euro Grey market

5. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Not sure. I just saw that the Discogs entry for it lists the company as a bootleg label. If so, I am surprised to see Elusive Disc selling their goods.

6. berlinerpunk

berlinerpunk Record Collector

They have a few new releases coming up from Mingus, Shepp and Don Cherry that look a little suspect.

7. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

I did see a thread on this a couple of years ago and the consensus was bootleg or grey market. Discogs lists them as bootleg. I like a lot of the new stuff they have out and I see a lot of legitimate record stores carrying the product. I don't want to support a grey market company. Any input?

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Lots of interesting titles. Really want the Terry Riley, Don Cherry, Karl Berger "Live In Koln" but that seems gone everywhere.

Anybody own any of them and can speak to quality?

9. donlass

donlass New Member

Just picked up a Pharoah Sanders but had to order from Amazon UK.
    The vinyl looks and sounds like they put some effort into it. Sounds good to my ears.

10. donlass

donlass New Member

I emailed them directly some months ago inquiring about the Pharoah Sanders, they responded informing me they didn't have any copies. I forgot all about it since og copies when/if they pop up sell for several hundred, 2 weeks ago I see it for sale on Amazon UK so I grabbed a copy. Wish I would've grabbed two. The sound quality is excellent to my ears. You can tell they put some pride effort into the pressing.

11. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Anyone tried their reissue of Pharoah Sanders - Pharoah?

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Looking up stuff like this is always a challenge to me, because sometimes there's just a cold trail. In fact, I just had one that I'm about to start a different thread about...!
    Tracking Down Untraceable Artists

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  13. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

With this label I've taken the plunge a few times (Les Rallizes Denudes records, most releases of them are bootlegs anyways).

With Pharoah, I missed out ("I can always get it later") when the CD was $30 and the Japanese pressings were $100 and under.

This Alternative Fox boot seems like the closest I can get until the tapes for this album magically reappear. It might even be comparable to how a legit reissue of this title would sound, if mastered from the same CD master.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.