Has anyone here heard about so-called "outsider music"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RJDG14, Dec 9, 2022.

1. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I’ve heard and own a good bit and have championed it for a long time. If you want some “good” outsider music then check out Bobb Trimble.

2. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I own and enjoy a handful of Jandek records and I’ve seen him live a few times. Once he started playing live, though, I think it became clearer that he’s not as much an outsider as originally thought. He (or people associated with him) seem pretty aware of the avant-garde/improvisational world

3. Synthfreek

This is on one of the Songs In The Key Of Z comps…the book is required reading for this stuff. Incredibly Strange Music Volumes 1 & 2 as well.

4. Synthfreek

Bashing Kiss, how original.

5. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

I think the Misfits would qualify as Outsider Music. One of the worst bands ever!

6. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

One thing I do know is that Outsider Music instills anger and confusion in Rick Beato acolytes.

7. mkortjohn

mkortjohn Forum Resident

The story is a bit more tragic, at least to the extent that the following New Yorker story is true. They were a group of sisters whose father pushed them into forming a band and performing. By all accounts the father was abusive and wanted them to become famous because of his own ego. The girls had no natural musical talent or interest in the music they were playing. To that extent, it isn’t really outsider music. It’s not a group of untrained artists creating art free from the constraints of tradition and dogma. It’s child abuse recorded.
    Meet the Shaggs

Rufus McDufus, gregorya and Sear like this.
  8. jacchank

jacchank Forum Resident

my whole record and cd collection!!!!!!

Fullbug, Greenalishi and elaterium like this.
  9. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

This came immediately to mind...

CaptainFeedback1 and Grootna like this.
  10. dalecooper

dalecooper Forum Resident

That tale is definitely sordid and horrible, but I'm not sure it has any impact on them being outsider artists. When you say "it’s not a group of untrained artists creating art free from the constraints of tradition and dogma. It’s child abuse recorded," I think it's clearly both of those. The Jacksons were famously bullied and abused by their father all throughout the years they were performing as the Jackson 5; they may have had more legitimate interest in making music, but in the end it boils down to the same thing, doesn't it? They were just far more musically educated and talented than the Shaggs. And we'd never say that their music somehow doesn't count just because they were basically forced to make it.

11. GarretK

GarretK Forum Resident

There’s a couple docs about him and at least one has a part where he’s at Kinko’s typing and printing out lyrics.

Could be the same Kinko’s!

12. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

This will make you cringe

13. CHALKERS

CHALKERS Forum Resident

100% agree with this. I love the 'idea' of outsider art and it's fascinating to hear music that seems to be created without any preconceptions of what music 'should' be. However, it's fair to say that the majority (truthfully probably 99.9%) of what I've heard is awful. Often the story behind the music is what makes it fascinating to hear rather than the music itself. Having said that, I don't mind 'Lo-Fi' recordings which often go hand-in-hand with the 'Outsider music' tag (but is not limited to).

Sear and dalecooper like this.
  14. President_dudley

President_dudley Forum Resident

harry partch

zphage likes this.
  15. mkortjohn

mkortjohn Forum Resident

I thought about the Jackson 5 as I was writing this. There are some obvious similarities in the story, especially the abusive father at the center. The vast difference in talent between the two groups isn’t really the point though. The Jacksons loved music (Joe included), and that comes through in the writing and performance. Many of the members continued writing and performing even after their father’s influenced diminished. The Shaggs quit playing the day their father died and they are on record saying their own music is terrible. They seem to have created music purely as a means to avoid their father’s abuse, not out of any love for the form. Not trying to diminish them in any way, but at least to me, that back story is all I can hear when listening to the Shaggs record.

16. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, although I understand they were amateurs who knew they weren't skilled and were just having fun. So a bit different from the other "outsiders" who often didn't seem to know how strange their music was.

CaptainFeedback1 and elaterium like this.
  17. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I think one of Wesley's "hits" was called "I Kicked Superman's Ass".

sjaca and Greenalishi like this.
  18. mbg

mbg Forum Resident

Me.

Feel free to PM with any questions.

19. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

One genre that is sometimes classified as Outsider Music is the Song Poem...recordings made by professional recording companies (for a fee) from amateur "songwriters" who submit lyrics. The most famous song poem singer is Rodd Keith, who made hundreds of these types of recordings.
    Example-"Little Rug Bug":

Jonny W and Greenalishi like this.
  20. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Two pages and no Jandek?

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"I Whipped Superman's Ass" or "I Whooped Superman's Ass" (I'm seeing both in Google searches)

22. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

All right! "Whooped" does sound better. "I'm Sorry That I Got Fat" is another of his intriguing song titles.

Fullbug likes this.
  23. AppleBonker

AppleBonker Forum Resident

Do the Godz (favorite of Lester Bangs) count? Or are they just awful? (or, if it's your cup of tea, "superlative"? :agree:)

Make sure to keep listening until the track where they imitate cats.

bekayne and CliffL like this.
  24. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

What a great title, Rock n Roll McDonalds. Perfect

420JJJazz666 and RJDG14 like this.
  25. RJDG14

RJDG14 Forum Resident Thread Starter

If I recall correctly, it was in the documentary Supersize Me.