Has James Holzhauer broken "Jeopardy!"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daca

daca Currently on Double Secret Probation

I doubt it. Nobody has the fortitude to bet like James playing while ahead. The current champ has used it as much as a Defensive strategy as an Offensive one. As long as he finds them, the other contestants will have to beat him straight up in a game of trivia.

Now if you are playing from behind, especially in Double J, people will bet big like James to prevent a runaway. But that is out of necessity and not a strategy.

The current champ Jason took 9 days to go over $200k, Holzhauer hit that after what, day 3?

Also, Holzhauer brought more attention to Jeopardy! last year since Ken Jennings. Again, it is Sony Pictures TV. Even if another Holzhauer comes along this year, they will still be making huge bank off of that show.

Get Well Alex!

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

Yeah, I tuned in last night and caught the tail end of the first round. When I saw the board and the champion’s lead, I first thought of Holzhauer, then of how that strategy makes me much less interested in watching. He was unique, and fun to watch to see how far he’d get. Now? All I can say is I’m not watching tonight.

JohnK

3. daca

Don’t judge by yesterday’s show. The two contestants were terrible. They spent most of the Single J round in the red. And the champion found all 3 DDs, getting 2 correct.

Again, to win you have to know the questions and keep control so that you find the DDs and your opponents do not. And controlling the board comes down to a) providing the correct question b) having control and everyone misses or c) having control and no one answers.

Until they put on higher quality contestants, the current champ Jason is not going to lose. And since the episode tonight will make him a 10 game winner, I am all in on Jason winning in a runaway.

Ten game winners are rare, and while I am not saying the games are fixed, but Season 36 has started out with 6 less than stellar challengers through Wednesday night. We shall see what happens this evening.

Get Well Alex!

4. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

Farewell Jason.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

He had a good run.

mrjinks and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I was surprised that he got that Final Jeopardy wrong. It wasn't that hard. Even I knew the answer was "What is Sydney Opera House?"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Veggie Boy

...he's baaack...

Coming November 4

GodShifter and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Like Popeye's Chicken Sandwich, he's baaaaack! In the tournament of champions.

Al Kuenster, Matthew Tate and mrjinks like this.
  9. Veggie Boy

with yesterday's runaway win it's fully expected he will take it all and would be a disappointment if he doesn't

*EDIT I think HE fully expects to take it all and would be disappointed if he doesn't

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Al Kuenster and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Rob P S

Rob P S Senior Member

James, Emma and Francois in the finals!

11. daca

Me: James what’s your prediction for the TOC finals?

James: [​IMG]

12. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Who will be the G.O.A.T.? Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter or James Holzhauer?

Find out starting Jan 7, 2020.

The first to win 3 matches wins $1 Million and the title of G.O.A.T. The 2 runners-up get $250K (and the titles of "First Loser" and "Second Loser". ;) )

Could only take 3 days if the same person wins the first 3 matches, but could also take 7 days if two of them win 2 matches and one wins 3 matches.

What is the over/under on the number of matches before G.O.A.T. is determined? I say, for ratings and sponsors reasons, it goes the distance. But if there is no pressure from maintaining inflated ratings and no pressure from sponsors, it could be over quickly, especially if James is still on his game.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Holzhauer will crush both if it’s only three games. He’d probably obliterate both systematically if it went beyond that regardless. He’s the best Jeopardy player ever.

daca, Matthew Tate and neo123 like this.
  14. I thought Jennings himself said he's out of practice and wouldn't be much of a match today for Holzhauer.

daca and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. daca

I like Jennings and have much respect for him. However, in a “fair and randomly” selected game, Holzhauer in a sweep. To @GodShifter ’s point, Holzhauer is the greatest Jeopardy! player, ever.

Unless Shakespeare continually appears as a category, or is a Final J question, the others may be able to steal a game. Or if they “hide” the DD in the $200 question in Double Jeopardy! as they did in the 2019 TOC that kept the score close for Emma. Seriously, a DD in the $200 question in Double J? C’mon man!

Regardless, I want to see Holzhauer crush Rutter.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Why pit Holzhauer against previously defeated Jeopardy champions? Holzhauer vs. Watson would be the ultiamate matchup!

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Is Holzhauer really any better than knowledge-wise than Jennings or Rutter? Or does he just have the buzzer mastered?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. daca

I never mentioned anything about knowledge or the buzzer in my post. He is the better player. The unorthodox style (jumping from category to category,) playing the board bottom up, selective answering, and his aggressive wagering (amongst other qualities) makes him the superior Jeopardy! player.

That said, he will put the beat down on Rutter.

FWIW, if you believe the Interwebs, Emma had the quickest buzzer response time in the 2019 TOC.

19. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

It will be interesting to see if Jennings or Rutter adopt any of Holzhauer's tactics like the huge Daily Double bets or starting with the higher value clues.

daca likes this.
  20. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I intensely dislike Holzhauer and am agnostic as to which of the other two beats his ass.

21. daca

Absolutely. It will be an arms race. You want the high $ clues off the board ASAP. And he (or she) who controls the Daily Doubles, controls the game.

It will be fun to watch Holzhauer destroy Rutter.

Q: What’s the difference between God and Brad Rutter?

A: God doesn’t think He is Brad Rutter.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Neither will.

daca likes this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Truth. What a gold plated a-hole that dude is.

daca and Matthew Tate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.