Has James Holzhauer broken "Jeopardy!"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guy incognito, Apr 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

see above ^^^^

As of April 29th (this Monday).

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  2. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

My guess would be that their answer, if correct, would be disqualified or the match or any winnings forfeited.

IIRC, Buzzy Cohen and Austin Rogers also made a habit of 'shout outs' with their Final Jeopardy answers. IIRC, Holzhauer has mainly been wishing 'Happy Birthday' to friends and family members. Has he been getting 'cute' with his messages? (I haven't been paying attention to them very closely.) I think the production company is wary of some cryptic message - sexual or political in nature - slipping past them.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Contestants are covered by a 'secrecy clause' in their contract to appear - and winnings can be with-held if that contract is violated. (I believe they are allowed to tell their spouses and children, but no-one else.) I'm assuming the production crew is also governed by a confidentiality clause in their contracts of employment. Anyone in the business 'chain' of the show would probably risk some penalty (like be fired) if they revealed something. I cannot recall if the ticket to be a audience member is conditional upon confidentiality of the results prior to broadcast or if they are merely asked on their honour not to reveal anything. Some shows have been recorded without an audience.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The Teachers Tournament runs May 6 - 17 (starts on Monday), then summer re-runs. Yes, if Holzhauser is still winning at the end of this this week, he'll be back in the fall episodes.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

My guess is that the producers would simply force the contestant to wipe the shoutout, and reshoot that tiny portion of the show. I've often seen a disclaimer at the end of game shows that says something to the effect of "portions of the show not affecting the outcome may be edited". In this case, that could very easily be done.

lightbulb and Matthew Tate like this.
  6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I had heard they were done filming but continue to air "new" episodes into July - are you sure about that?

7. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

I had no idea about the forbidden wagers. It seems pretty silly, if you ask me.

It could also make it impossible to place the ideal wager. As an example, if I had 4335, and my nearest competitor had 2500, I wouldn't be able to place the ideal wager of 666.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

On the Jeopardy website there is an announcement about the Teachers Tournament and another about wrapping the season. The Teachers Tournament is scheduled from May 6 - 17 (starting next Monday). I assumed the season was then over. However, under another tab on that website ('Mark Your Calendar') a Teen Tournament is scheduled to start June 17th. That probably lasts two weeks, to the end of June (Friday, 28th). There may be new episodes broadcast between the Teachers and Teens Tournaments.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Unfortunately, prudent because of the times we live in.

The $69 amount is banned due to the sexual implications. The $666 amount for (ir)religious reasons. The $1488 and $88 amounts (which I had to 'Google' because I had no idea what they signified) are banned due to Nazi, racist political reasons.

10. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

[​IMG]

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Each season of Jeopardy! has 230 episodes. New episodes air every year until the end of July, so there should be new episodes for about a month after the Teen Tournament ends.

12. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

After this past Wednesday, James had won a little over $1.5 million in 20 games.
    That's an average of over $75K per game.
    Which means his "average" is higher than the previous record high daily amount (which Jennings held --> $75K exactly).
    Jennings averaged $33K+ over his 75 games, as an earlier post pointed out.

I think the current season goes on until late July. That's what happened in previous years (I'm a long time watcher). In the summer, they usually rerun about 6 weeks of tournaments which go from late July until early September. Of course, it is not known by the general public if Trebek's cancer/chemotherapy affected how many tapings were done for this season. I did hear a couple days ago, in a story about Trebek being on Good Morning America earlier this week, that taping for this season has been completed (guessing it's the same length as always, but they probably won't say anything about that).

James is at 20 wins right now. There are 12 weeks left until late July. But 2 weeks are lost to the Teacher's Tournament, which leaves 10 other weeks. Presuming no other tournaments --- if he happened to win out for the rest of the season he could only get to ~72 wins, and would not be able to exceed Jenning's win total this season.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

New episodes for two months after Teen Tournament ends, not one month.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

The Teacher’s Tournament starts on May 6 and runs until May 17, assuming it’ll last for two weeks. The Teen Tournament starts on June 17 and goes to June 28. That leaves one more month for new episodes until the end of the season at the end of July.

15. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I don't think that is correct, at least as far as past seasons have gone (see above posts).

16. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

12 weeks - 4 weeks leaves 8 weeks. That's only a few days short of two months. Did you count in the May 17-June 17 part? (appears you only accounted for June 28 to late July)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I revised that several posts above (#183).

The Jeopardy website has the Teachers Tournament scheduled from May 6 - 17 (starting next Monday) and a Teen Tournament scheduled to start June 17th. That should last two weeks, to the end of June (Friday, 28th). My original post assumed that the season ended after the Teachers Tournament. That was obviously wrong. Assuming Trebek's health issues have not caused the schedule to change, the regular season of first run episodes traditionally finishes at the end of July. (Last year it on July 27th.)

The original point was if Holzhauser is still champion at the end of the season of regular episodes (whenever that is), does he return at the start of next season? Yes.

18. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Yes, that has happened in past years -- I think it also occurred over last summer (obviously with a different champion).

James has the type of occupation that will allow him to stay In LA for a long time (allowing for a long run). A lot of people don't have that luxury. It sometimes appears to me thatt some champions intentionally lose for that reason, even if they'd never admit it (probably are forbidden from doing so).

19. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

I realized as I was driving home from work that I misread your post. There is one more month of new episodes after the Teen Tournament which ends in late June. I guess I misread your post as saying one month of new episodes after Teacher's Tournament.

Unfortunately I can't go on here while driving (obviously), and the forum does not allow me to correct earlier posts after 30 minutes. I'm sure there's a good reason for this rule, but it didn't serve me well here.

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

These champions are usually making good bank. Why would they intentionally tank when there is, potentially, millions to be made? I’d wager no one throws a match due to employment constraints. They just lose.

21. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I could make 50K a day.....but I do have my cousins wedding to go to...what to do, what to do

carrick doone likes this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

That’s a tough one, pal.

23. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I noticed Holzhauer silently mouthed a message last night during Final Jeopardy - his way of getting around the new no 'shout outs'/ messages rule.

24. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

Slightly OT, but there must be some kind of rules for Wheel Of Fortune too, as I've never heard any one say 'I'll take a/I'd like to take a "P"-Pat?

groundharp likes this.
  25. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

We are guessing here, obviously.

I could see situations where people might intentionally lose, depending on other life factors, including but not limited to what they do in real life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.