Has Sony Stopped Producing Blu Spec CDs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by HCKeese, Dec 22, 2020.

1. HCKeese

HCKeese Member Thread Starter

I'm guessing Bob Dylan ranks at the top of Blu Spec/Blu Spec 2 selling artists with his back catalog and the Bootleg Series, so I found it very odd that "Rough and Rowdy Ways" has not been issued on Blu Spec 2.

Does anyone know if this is a permanent decision regarding Dylan titles alone or if it is a label-wide decision to discontinue the format? Perhaps just a COVID related supply interruption?

Any insight into why Springsteen has never embraced the format? His back catalog would certainly sell.

Thanks.

Duck

2. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Blu-spec CD2 titles are still released.

3. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

I would gladly buy Blu-spec CDs if they offered consistently dynamic mastering. As it stands, they're a bit of a crapshoot. Some use the old '80s masters, others use modern remasters, and some are even specifically level-boosted for the Blu-spec release!

Therefore, as far as I'm concerned, they're neither better nor worse than standard CDs. Sony has missed a big opportunity to sell well-mastered content to audiophiles under the Blu-spec banner.

4. HCKeese

HCKeese Member Thread Starter

Got the answer to my own question when Sony announced the Blu Spec 2 release of the Dylan "1970" title. Still don't understand why "Rough and Rowdy Ways" isn't available on Blu Spec 2 . . .

5. tanqueray cowboy

tanqueray cowboy Forum Resident

The Dylan blu-specs do not have unique masterings, correct? I'm looking at Modern Times specifically.

6. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Pure marketing. No loss:cheers:

F1nut, JorgeGvb and RhodesSupremacy like this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

God forbid digital masterings with a focus on the audio. It's so baffling that they seem to understand that Vinyl lovers want well mastered releases, but with anything digital they assume we don't care...

8. vwestlife

vwestlife Forum Resident

Sony promised that you'd "feel the difference" with Blu-Spec CD, but you won't hear the difference, because a Blu-Spec CD is bit-for-bit digitally identical to a standard CD:

9. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

Maybe you'd "feel the difference" if you had one of these connected to your hi-fi :D

vwestlife likes this.
  10. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Blu Spec discs are still being released, one of the most recent is an ELO Greatest Hits package.

11. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

I have a few of them and remember being impressed with the sound quality. Haven’t listened to them in quite a while though.

dwilpower likes this.
  12. harby

harby Forum Resident

"We replaced the old DVD glass master equipment for now cutting Blu-Ray. Surely we can charge more for CDs made on that also, that make bit-accurate rips just as well as they did before...even though we had to put the CD specifications back in, defocusing lasers of a non-optimal wavelength to make it workable."

UHQCD and some of the other Japan marketing schemes also show they are using non-CD processes for making audio discs on DVD and blu-ray production lines.
    [​IMG]

Now if someone that was still buying CDs could put such a disc in one of the old Plextors that can scan and gather C1 error statistics, that might give a little confidence that something was happening quality-wise.

The only one that is "last 30 days" https://www.amazon.com/Blk2Life-Future-Past-Blu-Spec-CD2/dp/B09BY84YPS

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  13. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

"someone still buying CDs"- that comment is dripping with arrogance. Many of us do still buy CDs. We might also buy Vinyl and guess what we might even stream our music too! Fact is, most folks can and do live happily in a multi format world. Thankfully I held onto my vinyl collection rather than rushing headlong with the other lemmings to off load their collections for mere pennies in the early 90s in the mad dash to "go digital". And guess what, I have no intention of offloading my CD collection either. Placing my trust in music accessed entirely over the internet... nah, I'll hedge my bets but I sure won't criticise those that choose to do so. Those Sneering at other folks opinions and musical preferences is the worst aspect of this form. A lot of folks need to grow up- this isn't high school, you're no longer 16- behave with tolerance and respect for others.

14. tomd

tomd Senior Member

yeah,but they sound-better

danielbravo likes this.
  15. harby

harby Forum Resident

Arrogance? Most aren't buying. I haven't bought more than perhaps 10 CDs in 20 years. Hundreds languishing in crates of Case Logic folders.

One will be sad when you can't buy physical media you own forever, but that's the way it's going (drop by Sam Goody or Tower Records and see how many they have for sale). You don't have to worry about all the CD titles going out of print, though - they're in the pawn shop's $1 section.

16. swintonlion

swintonlion Forum Resident

I was surprised that the Bob Dylan Rough and Rowdy Ways was not released on Blu Spec 2 and was hanging back for it, possibly with a mini lp sleeve , I'm still waiting. There is a Billy Joel greatest hits cd due for release so there still doing them, maybe it's a money thing for the artist but thats only a guess.

17. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

Blu-Spec SQ is dependent on the quality of the original master.

danielbravo and Khorn like this.
  18. Lowrider75

Lowrider75 Forum Resident

XRCD is the Redbook format with superior sonics. But very pricey.
    And I agree with the above comment that Blu-Spec2 discs are hit and miss.

19. tomd

tomd Senior Member

yes I agree if the source tape is inferior the blu spec will be too.BUT if you have two identical cds (same source, mastering etc) the blu spec is a small improvement (more like a better pressing of an lp)

danielbravo and Lowrider75 like this.
  20. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Agree- SACD, HDCD, SHMCD, Blu Spec ALL sound superior BECAUSE THEY ARE!!!! If you have a good system and a decent set of ears you can clearly hear the difference.

danielbravo and swintonlion like this.
  21. dwilpower

dwilpower Forum Resident

Of course the most important aspect is the source material- silk purse and sows ear!

22. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

In my case, Blu-spec sounds a bit more spacious and effortless compared to the same material, burned onto a blank cd disc. Mind you, if you are going to rip either and play back through a server they sound alike, in my room.

danielbravo likes this.
  23. tomd

tomd Senior Member

yep,if you rip them (as opposed to hearing them on traditional cd/SACD player) the material change is not going to make a bit of difference

danielbravo likes this.
  24. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Yes!