Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Has the "Lord Of The Rings" Movie Trilogy Held Up For You?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by mpayan, Sep 13, 2019.

1. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

I'll have to look for that.

Unlike many of you, I enjoyed the Hobbit films. I was skeptical at first, but they worked for me.

longdist01 and BeatleJWOL like this.
  2. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

The films are currently being re-released in 4k in Spanish cinemas over the next two weeks. We went with our two youngest kids on Friday night to see "The Fellowship of the Ring" (we'll do one a week) as they had each only seen the movies once, and on DVD a few years ago. It wowed us all. I watch the trilogy every 4 or 5 years in the extended editions, yet I was struck, seeing the theatrical cut for the first time in 20 years, by how much I prefer it: it's pacing was perfect and it had less of characters I can only bear in small doses: Elrond, Gimli, Legolas and Galadriel.

We were struck again by just how brilliant several performers are in it: it really would be virtually impossible to improve on McKellen, Mortensen, Tyler, Boyd, Holm, Bean and Lee, for instance. The music impressed us even more than ever, as did the Uruk-hai and the physicality of much of it: action, weapons, clothes, towns, etc that felt real withing the context.

Truly Jackson did a fabulous job in adapting the material and directing the great work of so many others, too. Roll on next weekend and "The Two Towers".

3. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Enjoying a re-watch of Ext. Ed. Blu-Rays

CDFanatic likes this.
  4. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

While I could enjoy the world Jackson created and these films even if they were all 6 hour long, your comment is spot on. And I still consider the first one, the best, and the theatrical cuts are the most accomplished versions of these films.

The only bit that really should've been there theatrically, imho, is the demise of Saruman that was missing from the theatrical ROTK.

mcnpauls likes this.
  5. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

Yes, I agree with you and Christopher Lee that Saruman's death should have been in the theatrical cut. Tbh, the opening of "Return of the King" with the Smeagol and Deagol flashback to finding the ring is actually quite embarrassingly poorly acted/directed, over and above the fact that audiences did not require it.

PH416156 likes this.
  6. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

One thing I did miss the first time I watched Return Of The King when it was first released to theatres was that part before the gates of Mordor when they deal with Mouth of Sauron. I enjoyed that bit so much in the book that I was greatly disappointed it wasn't in the movie. I was so happy when I later learnt it did in fact exist in the extended version.

coffeetime and Plan9 like this.
  7. Hagstrom

Hagstrom RINGO IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS.

I just sold off all of my Lord of the Rings stuff. I'm taking the money and buying a ticket to a rock and roll show.

8. mongo

mongo Forum Resident

The Mouth of Sauron was the single best creature in The Trilogy followed closely by the Balrog.
    Screen time for both was too short.

PH416156 likes this.