Has Warner Archive given up on vintage TV shows (1950s-1970s)?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by James Slattery, Oct 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm trying to think of the last thing that they've released from that era. I think its been at least a couple of years. First season Mr. Novak maybe?

Meanwhile, aside from the detective shows, which they'll never be able to put out because of the music, they still have a bundle of shows in their library:

Many Happy Returns
    No Time for Sergeants
    Mr. Roberts
    Room for One More
    Temple Houston
    Colt .45
    Adam's Rib
    Doc Elliot
    Cain's Hundred
    The Islanders
    Asphalt Jungle
    The Thin Man
    National Velvet
    Father of the Bride
    Please Don't Eat the Daisies
    The Rounders
    Wendy and Me
    Warner Brothers Presents/Conflict

Also, 2nd season of Eleventh Hour and Mr. Novak

Planbee and gogators1 like this.
  2. James Slattery

Add The Little People (aka The Brian Keith Show.

3. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Perhaps they've given up on completing every video geek's wishlist-checklist with no reasonable profit motive. In light of the recent plethora of nostalgia channels added to digital tv stations these days, I would think they're doing better-off licensing them to venues like these, rather than making niche products for niche customers.

That of course means a helluva lot more instances of Gilligan's Island than Car 54, and of course a lot more digital compression for geezer commercials, but that's the world we allowed ourselves to live in...

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  4. James Slattery

Save for the former MGM/Turner shows, which Ted transferred to one-inch back in the mid 80s, many of these series have never been mastered to tape. Besides, I don't see them stopping with the releases of every MOVIE video geek's wishlist with no reasonable profit motive.

Dillydipper likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Sure ya do. Just look at the ones they still have never mastered to tape. ;) Like all businesses, it has to do with both supply and demand. Not supply, "and while we're at it...".

6. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It'd be an incentive if these were series with some level of popularity. Never heard of any of them.

7. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

Many of the shows are unfamiliar to me, but I'd be in for Colt .45, Temple Houston, and especially The Islanders because of Diane Brewster. She made everything that she appeared in better, and much like Anne Francis in Honey West, I'd like to see Brewster in a series where she played the same character week after week--even though they were both short-lived shows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.