Have some (re)discovered Klipsch Heritage for serious 2 channel??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Jan 16, 2023.

1. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

And the Leben CS-600 mentioned by @ jonwoody!

See, knew I forgot one!

That's a nice deal, it's SOLD but either way not ready to jump yet! Too much to learn yet. Just have to go through the process...

2. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

yes but there is always that "what if?" :D:D

3. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I'm a bit guilty of that too from time to time. I like to think I have just made some really good choices as I climb the audio ladder :D That said, and I know you know this, more money does not always equal better performance. Your approach is one I wish I adopted (and still can) where you take your time, examine the decision and then look for excellent deals once you have decided. I tend to rush in head first and assess the damage afterwards! I have several favorites on this board and when I think of you and our conversations, patience is the perfect word that pops into my head.

Harris11235 and TheVinylAddict like this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

sure its not amp or source?

mike catucci and TheVinylAddict like this.
  5. TheVinylAddict

It's funny how one views themselves and how others might view in a forum like this, and 99% of most folks wouldn't view either of us as patient :). In my case, many would wonder how I could ever be patient ending up with four TT's :). Is it possible to be patient, yet at the same time be looking at three different pieces of gear? LOL.

If you feel you've jumped too quick at a couple things (haven't we all?) I'd counter and say when I look at your profile, know where you've been and what you tried, what comes to my mind is experience. Both from experiencing great music, and the experience on the gear of doing it. You've had the chance to play with some really nice things, I know you enjoy the journey, what more is there?

Been reading off and on about the Cary, I'm starting with that and the CMIII as a first pass. What's interesting about the Cary is I'm not finding a lot of Cornwall testimonials, lots of Forte / Heresy though. But still looking through a few things....

There is one minor thing I'd lose it appears on many options - the ability to share my speakers with another source (main in / bypass). But thinking further, even if it did, you'd have to leave your tubes on / running for HT / movies then as the mains still need sound! This is something I use often, right now the only thing that's on is my amp because it was on last night when watching a movie with my wife, and forgot to shut it off. To many, it would be a "who cares" but my HT side is just as fun to me as my 2 channel, and the mains are important in 5.2.2 --- and I don't want two sets of mains.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    mike catucci likes this.
  6. avanti1960

check a raven audio blackhawk. high end sound on a budget that responds well to tube changes. transparent, powerful, refined and dynamic. under budget too.
    Audiophile Integrated Tube Amplifier: Blackhawk MK3.1

7. TheVinylAddict

100%. Even pulled other speakers out, swapped the current ones, tried different things - even tried to feed it from a different amp. All I have to do is turn the amp on (even with everything else off) hooked up to the speaker, and only the midrange buzzes.

Somethin' is up.

If it were the amp, would it be able to only make the mid buzz too?

mike catucci likes this.
  8. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

Oh man. I feel you there!

9. TheVinylAddict

Thanks Tony. I will.

You like it because you want to offer one not mentioned, :) or because you like it better than the CMIII or Cary for instance? (which I know you've heard or tried).

10. Harris11235

Harris11235 Forum Resident

This is the exact reason I opted for two totally separate systems when I went to tubes. The Cornwalls are used in both systems, I just swap cables at the speaker to switch between them. The house came with in-wall wiring that runs from a closet to the speaker locations, so all of my AV gear sits in there and it's a simple 30-second task to make the switch. If you go that route, just be sure you always have the speakers connected to your tube amp before powering it up. They like to see a load, and they get really wonky if they're on with nothing connected to them. Potentially fatal for the amp.

11. TheVinylAddict

One more point on patience - unlike the Khorn thread, where I explored it and was able to shut it down with a decision after a few days - this one is going to take a lot more time, and I'm not in a huge hurry.

My fork in the road now - go with an upgraded speaker, like an M40.x on my SS ------or------ try tubes and Klipsch. I think both would be interesting, but one (the M40) would go quicker, be a lot easier to do.

BUT look at the cost -- new M40 $20K. Used - see as low as $12K at TMR. But compare that to a tube integrated on the Cornwall - half that or less maybe. That's a factor - I can get a lot of fun for a lot less and learn about a whole new avenue in a hobby I enjoy.

Another reason it's going to take time - time. For instance, my schedule gets pretty full starting tomorrow for a few weeks, I've been able to spend some time here for the last couple of weeks, but will be able to only check in, read about audio sparingly for a while. (yeah I know, sigh of relief for many...)

But this path has me intrigued, more importantly gives me a new experience and a new thing to learn about! The journey is fun.... when I stop learning, it's because I'm pushin' up daisies!

mike catucci and Harris11235 like this.
  12. avanti1960

I liked it more than the CMIi but it ultimately needed more sensitive speakers than the ones I had. The klipsh are a perfect match.
    the rogue amp needed lots of nos tubes to come close to the sound quality of the raven amp.

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  13. avanti1960

if the buzz was limited in frequency.
    hope it works out well

14. TheVinylAddict

Don't underestimate the potential importance of that requirement for me.... for obvious reasons.

I'm keying on that too as I read, but do understand the trade offs and how some would even think it limits my ability to get sound as NOS rules :).... but it has to be recognized as a new buyer, whichever way you decide to go.

mike catucci likes this.
  15. TheVinylAddict

Update for new readers on current topic:

Wanted: tube integrated, 4 RCA inputs, Cornwall IV's, prefer not super low wattage in case of future speaker swap, budget $6K, ok with less.

Recs made so far: CMIII, Cary SLI-80, EVO 300, Primaluna, Leben CS-600, Raven Blackhawk, and a really nice Luxman LX-80 that's $2K over budget :) but still nice. The Pharoah II is on the list still besides not being all tube.

So a nice list. I have a lot of reading to do. Still open to more suggestions.

mike catucci likes this.
  16. Ontheone

Ontheone Poorly Understood Member

Plus the Leben CS300xs. Best pairing I've heard with my Forte III's.

17. TheVinylAddict

I've not forgotten the 300xs! The *only* reason I didn't include was it's approaching the lower end of the wattage range, BUT I have not forgotten the results you got compared to some of your higher wattage amps! I'll keep it on the list and read more about it.

Jon recommended the CS600 - have you had a chance to hear that? It has 28W as far as I could tell so far... gives a little more flexibility for other slightly less sensitive speakers too if I ever decided... but it might be pushing the budget a tad too.

Ontheone likes this.
  18. TheVinylAddict

@Harris11235 there's the 5 inputs we were talking about. :) (blackhawk link above)

And a sub out? Who runs a sub any more? :hide:

Seriously, that was a surprise.... and I do go off and on with subs, the above was a running inside rib / theme Tony and I have...

I also noticed the Pharaoh II has a phono stage, and a unity gain input for the sharing of other amp I mentioned earlier...

Interesting. I feel a spreadsheet table materializing...

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    mike catucci and Harris11235 like this.
  19. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

20. TheVinylAddict

On paper and as a number :) it's in the low-ish range without having experienced it. I'm trying to keep it closer to 25W or above, but you know how it is, it's as much about the rated watts as it is about the amps design and how it manages power / transients.

I'd take 15 "good" watts over higher any day....

I usually refer to my Accuphase as 90 good W for the same reason. Not all watts are created equal, that's where my experience has my head.

I'll have a look!

Otlset likes this.
  21. TheVinylAddict

22. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Yup! :righton:

23. Ontheone

I have not heard but it's an amp that really interests me, especially as it's a well-documented beautiful pairing with DeVore.

24. TheVinylAddict

Translated - it's already purchased, awaiting a Tracking #?? :D:angel:

Seriously, I was reading a nice write up on it earlier, can't recall the site, it's in one of the 30 tabs open now...

25. Ontheone

Ha! But no. I'm still conflicted on whether to be looking at the CS600x as a next amp or a nice 300B. Continuing to window shop only!