Have we had a .38 Special thread yet?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rad Dudeski, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident Thread Starter

So recently I have been listening to some .38 Special. Their 1987 Flashback compilation on CD I recently purchased. I really dig their music. My mood/mindset automatically changes to a better state. The warmth or feel of the music and that damn guitar on Caught Up In You, Hold On Loosely & Like No Other Night are just contagious. What originally brought me to them was Ronnie Milsap's Stranger In My House as it was labeled a similar song, but I could see no comparison.

2. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

I have 6 of their studio albums. S/T has been eluding me for years on old compact disc.
    I should just grab the 2018 SHM (They use the old dynamic mastering)
    The die cut lp/cd for Strength In Numbers is pretty cool :)
    Definitely some feel good music!

3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

get the 2 cd compilation called anthology. you'll be glad you did. pretty much has everything the band is known for. flashback is missing a ton of stuff imo

4. c-eling

24/96 'mastered'
    Scared me from buying that comp Matt :laugh:

mdm08033, carlwm and Rad Dudeski like this.
  5. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

There's some old threads about - use the "Search" feature at the top right of the screen to find them - but I'm always up for a new one! Love that band.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  6. Rad Dudeski

Are most of the remasters still dynamic? I probably am missing a lot.

7. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

I always liked Back Where You Belong a lot; the video for that one got a lot of airplay on MTV.

Hold On Loosely and Rockin' into the Night are obvious classics.

Mix4800, musicfan37, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  8. c-eling

Apart from maybe the later comps none of their albums have been dynamically compromised. (AFAIK)
    The 2018 SHM's are 'flat transfers'. My Strength In Numbers 2018 actually matches up with my old 86.
    Edit:
    I'd stay far far away from the Culture Factory's...
    Forgot they did a couple I think.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Crimson Witch and Rad Dudeski like this.
  9. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Neither could Ronnie. :winkgrin:

Mix4800, Trader Joe, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  10. Rad Dudeski

:biglaugh:

MYQ1 likes this.
  11. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

Was just listening to .38's 2 disc Anthology.
    Great tunes that sound sonically awesome!

This one was roarin' in my truck earlier:

impalaboy, carlwm, musicfan37 and 3 others like this.
  12. MHS3

MHS3 "Long Live Rock'n'Roll"

Go to youtube and check out the song Take me back if you have not heard it.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

OptimisticGoat and MHS3 like this.
  14. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

Anybody buy the hi res digital remasters?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Southern Rock is cool again. 'Bout time.

carlwm, MYQ1, The MEZ and 2 others like this.
  16. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I am a long time (mid 80s) fan of this band from far way (where virtually nobody knows them beyond Second Chance). I have the whole catalogue on CD and a couple of LPs - some excellent and timeless stuff - and love to see a thread on them. Tour de Force in particular is an absolute masterpiece.

Mix4800, Trader Joe, carlwm and 4 others like this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

One of my favourite bands.

They are practically unknown in the UK. Not even sure how much of a cult following they have. I was lucky enough to discover them back in 1984 when Radio One had a short-lived AOR show hosted by Dixie Peach. He always played loads of great, obscure (to those of us this side of the Atlantic divide) music and one week, spun One Of The Lonely Ones from Tour De Force. I just though it was brilliant and managed to order the album from my local HMV. Hooked from that point!

We had a fantastic second-hand record shop in Swansea called Musiquarium where I was quickly able a few of their earlier albums but some of their records proved elusive and I only completed my studio collection (apart from the Christmas album) in recent years when I finally found Special Delivery & Resolution.

I think that all of the band's eras have something to offer us. The early country rock albums - always more Outlaws than Skynyrd to my ears - have a lot of charm and great songwriting; the hits period, where Don Barnes' lead vocals are more prominent, is just phenomenal. The run from Wild Eyed Southern Boys through to Strength In Numbers is one of the strongest four-albums blasts in rock music, for me.

I once annoyed somebody on this forum by describing the Max Carl years as being yacht rock so I will content myself today by just calling them "smooth". They are a long way from the classic sound so I don't blame diehards for being sceptical but what saves them, I reckon, is, once again, strong songwriting. Max Carl is no Don Barnes but he neither wanted nor tried to be and of course, this era produced a couple of hits of its own.

Resolution was a fine comeback for Barnes. Fade To Blue would have been a smash hit back in '84, although I was somewhat disappointed by Drivetrain. Just too heavy for the band, I thought, though in fairness, I need to give it more of a chance to grow on me.

As far as extracurricular activities go, Don Barnes' solo album Ride The Storm, which finally sneaked out a couple of years ago, is excellent. I'd recommend the two disc version, which contain a slightly unnecessary remix of the full album but also three bonus tracks which are all super.

I also love Van Zant, Donnie & Johnny's band. Four highly enjoyable studio albums and one of the best live releases of recent times. And every fan should read Larry Steele's autobiography, As I Recall, which serves as an insider's view of the band. It's well written, passionate and opinionated. A must!

I've gabbled on. Apologies!

One last thing, many thanks to OptimisticGoat for pointing out this thread. Might well have missed it otherwise. Looking forward to reading some reminisces from fellow fans!

18. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I saw .38 Special in 1977, on a triple bill opening for the J. Geils Band and Peter Frampton. I had never heard of them before, but from the back of the venue, I could see and hear that the singer was very influenced by Ronnie Van Zant. One of the best live bands I've seen.

19. ABBDutchFan

ABBDutchFan Forum Resident

I really dig the songs "Rough Housin'", "Firestarter", "Chain Lightin'", "Trow Out A Line", "Take 'em Out" and especially my fave "Bring It On".

20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

maybe part of the band being in skynyrd at one point and ronnies brother Donnie being in 38 special have something to do with that

ARK, MHS3, carlwm and 2 others like this.
  21. steve phillips

I know, I was kind of joking really. I found out soon after the concert that he was Ronnie's brother. :D

22. steve phillips

Not long ago I found a great vinyl copy of the first album, which is awesome, and it reminded me of that concert, with Donnie doing all the vocals.

23. mace

mace Forum Resident

I read years ago that it was Ronnie who encouraged Don to take on some of the vocal duties.

Mix4800, ARK, Crimson Witch and 2 others like this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Interesting how people hear things in different ways.

I don't hear too much Lynyrd Skynyrd in 38 Special's sound. The amazingly fertile Jacksonville scene in the late Sixties (again, see Larry Steele's book. It's excellent) threw all sorts of things into the creative pot and there will be some influences in common aside from vocal genetics, but 38 Special, for me, had more of a country vibe, before they made the conscious decision to step away from the Jacksonville sound whereas Skynyrd were more bluesy & soulful.

Both bands were very versatile and neither stayed strait-jacketed but they both had a unique sound. It's one of the fascinating thing about Southern Rock. Each of the big bands were instantly recognizable.

25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

It's a very fine debut!