Have you ever rushed the stage?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by speedracer, May 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Yep, always try to rush to the stage at the gigs from bands I like, so Megadeth, Airbourne and Jack White all had that from me :) The problem is I'm usually behind those hardcore fellas who stay at the entrance for hours to be the first to enter, so sometimes I only manage to get to like 3rd-4th row.

speedracer likes this.
  2. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Not intentionally. I was at Bumbershoot in Seattle years ago, near the front of the stage on my feet at Memorial Stadium watching Tracy Chapman perform. As the show went on there was a bit of a surge from behind as people moved closer. At one point I got shoved from behind into a very large woman in front of me near the front of the stage. Without turning around, she threw an elbow that landed in my rib cage.

speedracer likes this.
  3. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Had the same experience at a GA Rush show in Hampton, VA in Jan 1988. Staked out some great space on the floor before hand. But once Tommy Shaw started his opening set, the pushing got downright scary. Spotted a good friend enjoying his seats in the first level side loge and joined him. The rest of the show was great. Have never tried GA since.

speedracer likes this.
  4. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

In 2014 I attended the Soundwave festival in Melbourne Australia. Security were late opening the venues gates which meant the 10am bands started playing to empty tents. I and a couple hundred other people ended up running to the front of the stage which Red Fang were playing on. Must have looked funny from the stage.

In 2009 I saw Alice Cooper at a seated venue and had seats about 10 rows back. As soon as the show started people rushed the stage, why not join them? Anyway I ended up 2 back from the stage for the best live show I have ever seen. Security didn't know what to do, usually they would tell everyone to go back to their seats, but there were just too many of us.

speedracer likes this.
  5. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

6. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

i remember a friend try to rush the stage at a big country concert. he hated the music so much ( it was in 1984) he try to cath the legs of stuart adamson to make him fall. he nearly succeded . he was crazy because he wanted to see costello the same day and i had booked this concert instead. when you're young you are often crazy.

speedracer likes this.
  7. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Thank you for almost addressing the elephant in the room.

Eerily quiet aren't they, the ever so posthappy fab4 crowd ?

Does this thread touch the Achilles heel of their fandom ? Being there in the sixties among packs of young girls with that look in their eyes, ready to scream their heads off, waiting for the doors to open so they could invade the space right in front of the four lovely lads, sweating and salivating.

Is that the part of their fandom they are actually most ashamed of ? :laugh:
    It's not the colleagues at work whistling She Loves You, whenever they're near, or folks double greeting (Hello ... Goodbye) them in passing. Or the local record store owners asking: more Beatles then aye ? :agree:
    This forum is the first and foremost place they feel safe to express part (not all) of their true attraction.

It's the fact they were actually there among thousands of head over heels infatuated girls. Knowing they wouldn't even be able to recognize any of those brilliant songs about being in love once the party started

Come on Beatles fans !
    Stand up and be proud. Step forward, reveal your identity and finally tell us what it was really like being a true Beatles fan, because you were at the shows, all of them. :agree:

Or if you were too young tell us the story your mom ( or grandma) told you about what it was like, storming the stage and living the ultimate dream :winkgrin:

8. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Two experiences during my youth at Manchester Apollo. One was in May 1984 when I jumped on the stage at the end of a Camel concert because I wanted to shake hands with Andy Latimer. He was fine about it but security yanked me into the wings and threw me out of the venue. The second time I wasn't even on the stage and I still got thrown out (got back in though). I went to see It Bites supporting Robert Plant (I'm a massive It Bites fan) and I wasn't happy that everybody was just sat quietly in their seats. So, I drunkenly decided that if I ran down the centre aisle and started jumping up and down in front of the stage then other people would follow suit (narrator: They didn't). Instead I was grabbed by the throat by one of the gorillas and flung through the nearest fire exit. I could see the band laughing as I made my assisted departure. That wasn't the only time I was lobbed from a venue for dancing. On my 21st I got thrown out of The Galleon in Blackpool for dancing to the resident jazz duet (they were famously awful). They thought I was taking the ****, but I'm just a terrible dancer, so onto the pavement I went :)

Jamsterdammer and speedracer like this.
  9. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Not so much now, but yeah, it was great when I was younger and caught up in the moment.

I fear I’d get Trampled Underfoot these days.

speedracer likes this.
  10. Rich C

Rich C Forum Resident

Made a mad dash to it once at Soldier Field for the Stones in '78. Had been there since 6 in the morning wandering without rudder from one place to another and meeting up with various friends and acquaintances throughout the day with one friend. Ended up on the field about 2/3's the way back right before Journey. Smoked a 'J' with that group and on come the Stones. I abandon myself and say go for it, you will find someone at the end of the show. With the dumbest of luck, I end up behind two absolute knockouts who are walking fast, not running, and everyone parts ways for them. I slip in behind them as if unnoticed. By the end of the first song I am about 30 feet out from the stage right in the center. Pretty good day for a 16 year old.

speedracer likes this.
  11. I rushed the stage at a Hatsune Miku Expo once but she disappeared and I got tangled in some kind of semitransparent plastic screen and almost suffocated. The 39 band had to unwrap me or I would have suffocated. I have been banned for life.

Seriously no, never, not in my wildest dreams.

speedracer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.