HBO show High Maintenance

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by aforchione, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

.....and, the estate of GEORGE MARTIN gets a check!!!!!

:yikes:

I though THIS SONG was our little secret!!!!!!!

If you're like me, your brain is split between:
    "How cool are THEY for using this song?"
    and
    "Don't! Now, EVERYONE will know about this song!!!"

When this song came on, I screamed, and the wife looked at me, and said,
    "Oh, this show's got YOUR number! HA!"

2. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just started a few days ago. Love it.

3. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Getting bored of the series. I wish they would list the music they use. Any one know what that dark-ish psychedelic music was in the middle of the episode with the vet who micro-doses mushrooms?

timind likes this.
  4. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Music from High Maintenance S3E06

timind, trumpet sounds and Electric like this.
  5. Electric

6. vince

Was that Miles from "LOST"????
    BOY, did he age!
    They DO have some interesting music on that show... You can Google "Songs from "High Maintenance" to find out what songs they use.

7. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I thought the vet on shrooms was very funny. The kitten in the tuba was hilarious.

8. vince

That song, just when he was starting to 'freak out' DID sound like Can!

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’ve watched about two full seasons of this and am still like “okay, maaaan”. I guess it’s a bit beyond me. Lots of counterculture elements which is fine, but many of the stories don’t do much. Also, it’s fairly obvious “The Guy” is a thinly veiled Jeffrey Lebowski aka “The Dude” but with a much more impressive beard (and business acumen).

I’ll keep watching because I love the elements of NYC and the diverse individuals you get to see, but, man, some episodes are just tiresome.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  10. vince

I agree... some elements of the 'younger generation' on this show get a little..... 'on my nerves'....but...there's enough interesting elements in it to keep my interest.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

No accompanying lyrics. :D

12. vince

:shh:

13. Electric

I thought last night's Ben Sinclair written episode 9 (S3) was back to form.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I’ll watch the season finale as I’ve watched everything else, but man, this series really irks me at times.

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Really enjoyed the finale, and the entire season. And fwiw, the "younger generation" vibe/references, whatever, doesn't bother this 62 yr old codger in the least. And I find The Guy not at all like The Dude. Ive known several folks in my life very much like him. A good person, thoughtful, responsible. Very likeable.

16. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Agreed, and I'm 64. Haven't seen the entire 3rd season, but every episode from the first season on plays out like a short story that isn't really going anywhere, it's really all about the characters and the nuance. They also manage to tug at your heartstrings before you even know it's happening. Lovely stuff.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I liked the last episode, but remain a bit nonplussed with some of the “storylines” as most go nowhere and some don’t even involve weed at all!

Still, I enjoy the series and will continue to watch (assuming it gets renewed again).

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  18. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Yeah, the connecting threads to "the guy" have gotten a bit...loose. It used to be his customers' unique lifestyles and/or situations that we got to see. Now, some of the storylines are only peripherally related.

Still, I enjoy the randomness of each ep.

GodShifter and vince like this.
  19. ralphb

Watched the third ep. of the new season last night and have to say that Annie Golden kind of broke my heart. We all age, and sometimes the vision of ourselves in our head doesn't quite square with what we see. That applies to other people too. I'll always remember her bouncing around the stage at CBGB when she was singer for The Shirts, so her appearance was kind of a shock, a reminder that all things must pass. But she was damned good in it, and thank you High Maintenance for getting a Richard Hell reference in there.
    Love this show.

20. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

How did I not recognize her as Norma from OITNB???

GodShifter likes this.
  21. ralphb

She's in that show? I've never watched it.:shrug:

Bender Rodriguez and GodShifter like this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

The Richard Hell reference was great. I was yelling at the screen when the people she asked couldn’t tell her what band he was in. “TELEVISION AND RICHARD HELL AND THE VOIDOIDS!”

vince, Bender Rodriguez and ralphb like this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yes, Annie Golden plays Norma on “Orange is the New Black”. She never says a word, but will sing on occasion (but I’ve missed the last two seasons).

The Richard Hell reference comes from Alex Auder who tries to break the dancing record. That’s from season two, I think? Am I mistaken ?

24. ralphb

Don't remember that from season 2, I caught it in the Annie Golden episode. Would that make two Hell references? Oh, happiness.:)

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Maybe I’m confusing the two. It wouldn’t be the first time.

Chris from Chicago and ralphb like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.