HDCD: an investigation

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by SiriusB, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Question,

Can we ourselves create HDCD discs with home setups? Would be a nice, practical format for our needledrops! Thanks for tips!

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The answer to that is no. You need to seek out Pacific Microsonics hardware.

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Another "hidden" HDCD; a 4-CD boxset this time: JERRY GOLDSMITH 40 Years of Film Music on Silva Screen Records.

All tracks use Peak Extend! Good sound.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Note that Pacific Microsonics is effectively out of business, having been absorbed by Microsoft ten years ago. The A/D encoders and D/A decoders still exist, but you'd have to track down a studio willing to rent one to you.

I'm not convinced HDCD makes any sense at a time when we can now record and playback true 24-bit material.

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Exactly right, which means that this is not a worthwhile endeavor in this day and age.

6. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

Do you have the UPC/EAN for me, as there are at least 3 versions of this set.

7. RomanZ

RomanZ Forum Resident

A few months ago I bought a NAD C542 player, and was surprised to find out that both The White Stripes' Under Great White Northern Lights and Karen Elson's The Ghost Who Walks are actually HDCDs. (Both discs were mastered by the same engineer, Andrew Mendelson)

Donniej likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.