Headphones £ 180 pounds range for main system *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Kristofferabild, Aug 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am contemplating getting a pair of wired headphones for my stereo. I want something that isn’t bright in the 180 pound range. What do you use?
    My system is primarily rega / vinyl.
    Apart from this I also have a Squeezebox Touch and a Carat amp with headphone input.

Ignominious likes this.
  2. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

I love my Massdrop Sennheiser 6XX headphones — I paid $199USD, I think they're up to $220USD these days. Not sure if they ship to Denmark, however.

If the actual Sennheiser 650s are in your price range over there I can recommend them wholeheartedly (same headphones, just badged differently).

Warm, smooth, sound great with my analog rig as well as the steaming digital setup.

3. Kristofferabild

4. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

You are going to need a dedicated amp to make those Senn's shine.

Kristofferabild likes this.
  5. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

Slightly off topic, but I keep looking at the thread title and thinking, 'your neck is going to be so tired from all that weight...'

Not terribly familiar with the higher end Sennheisers, but both the pair I have (an older version of the 280) and several others I tried while shopping strike me as very good, if not exceptional, products for the money. I've always liked their microphones as well.

6. Kristofferabild

Ha ha! I didn’t think about that.

7. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

Sennheiser HD600 (or 6xx Massdrop) are excellent. Not bright and also very comfortable to wear.

Kristofferabild likes this.
  8. Helom

Helom Forum member

I love my Grado SR80s. They're light-weight, they never hurt my head and produce a non-fatiguing, natural sound with good detail. Maybe not the best choice for bass-heads but what bass they do produce is articulate and natural. I like them so much that I recently ordered the RS2Es. Yeah, Grados look like headsets you'd find at the library or the audiologist but I suspect most of their cost goes into what matters - the drivers. I wouldn't hesitate to get the SR225es in your budget range.

rodentdog likes this.
  9. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

The Grados at that level are good, sound good but don't produce any soundstage. The Senn 600/650's do a good job of soundstage, and I actually prefer the 600's.

10. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

That's exactly what I thought! You'd need shoulder pads to help support the weight. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.