Heads up, Canadians.....a nice pair of Tannoys in Toronto!

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by audio, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Interesting.... wonder if it's someone I know?

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

He's been trying to unload those for months now. According to Prix he's just going to throw them in a box and ship them. Disaster. Just ignore this.

4. audio

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Yeah, not the same speakers, sorry. But the same guy so forget it.

6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Are these "original"? They look sorta new to me.... I know of someone who makes speakers here that look like this (but the driver must be orginal, right?)

7. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Hey, Gary, WE live in Toronto, don't we?

8. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

Not me. If they are repros, they look like good ones, and the repro cabs are almost always better than the originals. Jeff

9. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Knowledgable seller--he's got a Sony reel deck up for sale also:

"This is a closed loop dual cap stand reel to reel."

Heh. :laugh:

What's a fair price on the Tannoy Golds anyway?

10. audio

Just to clarify, I can't remember the exact details of my bad experience with this guy. It could have just been me, who knows. All I remember is that I won his auction and the reserve was not met. I called him to negotiate a sale and safe shipping and the guy was a real a-hole. I passed. He gave me a VERY uncomfortable feeling. I am sorry for even posting this thread. I didn't realize it was the same guy. Fortunately Steve pointed it out. For those forum members who are bidding and have sent me PMs, a few things to point out:

1) The guy's feedback is not too pretty.

2) After looking closely at these, I am going to say these are not original cabinets. Here is why I came to that conclusion:

A) This guy knows his stuff. So why the statement "Comes with what looks like it’s original Tannoy cabinet" in his listing? That's a disclaimer if I've ever heard one.

B) There is no Tannoy logo on the grill.

C) There is no "Tannoy" stamp that I can see on the back of the cabinet, nor is there any sticker or the remains of one.

D) Unless this guy has misquoted his dimensions, they are slightly off with what this cabinet style should be. The construction also looks slightly different.

E) To my knowledge, Tannoy 12" were never in this size cabinet. There was a slightly smaller "Lancaster" cabinet that looked identical for the 12"s.

I think these cabinets are a fabrication, but I could be wrong.

11. audio

I don't think you should need to spend anymore than $1000 for a cherry pair of 12"s. The 15"s are of course more money.

12. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yep! I'd pick 'em up if I won 'em!

But I don't want to buy a "pig in a poke" do you? I want to hear them first and verify them as much as possible. Think I'lll pass...

The drivers look OK.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.