Heads up!........ifi Phono 2

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sailfish, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vs_jk

vs_jk Forum Resident

I thought that would be end of it. However, I decided to contact iFi about it.

First they had me double check the power supply and I was able to verify it was functioning properly. Since the iFi is long out of warranty, they did say that there would be a minor fee to repair the main unit. It was only $80 so decided to go ahead with it. I sent it in and they replaced the board in it. Turnaround time wasn't too bad and I've had the repaired unit in my system for a couple weeks now. I'm not sure if the old unit was going out and therefore the sound degraded a little or if my memory of it is off. Perhaps a little of both. But this repaired iPhono sounds absolutely fantastic. The settings are exactly the same as I had before and nothing else in the system has changed. The sound is way more dynamic, with more bass, and air around instruments. It's too bad that after 3.5 years, the unit had this problem. But at the same time was pleased with the iFi customer service and repair.

latheofheaven likes this.
  2. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

At this point they had better treat their customers like gold. Because with a failure rate like the iPhono 2's they won't have any customers left. My iPhono 1 still works perfectly but truthfully I don't use it that much. I'm sure it always being
    on/powered up probably doesn't help much with life span.

displayname likes this.
  3. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Just noticed it is no longer listed on their site. Probably a 3rd generation is on the way. Or not.

4. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Or simply discontinued. Considering the huge amount of people who've experienced problems with these units, I wouldn't be surprised if they just cut their losses.

5. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

Mine still works ...

6. Strat-Mangler

For now.

HiFi Guy likes this.
  7. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

I feel the iphono was a dud product in their catalog
    Ive had my micro ican plugged in for 5 years without any issue, my Stereo retro 50 tube amp has been flawless in a year of ownership, and the itube ive had also was without issue. My friend is still rocking his pro ican without any problem so far.

all i know is that their customer service is exemplary and they seem to want to make things right when something goes wrong

my 2 cents.

8. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Funny thread. I read the first two pages - love love love
    Then decided to read the last and second to last - hate hate hate.

I’ll stick with my 8 year old 640p which was a crowd favorite 9 or so years ago.

Gumboo likes this.
  9. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

As a satisfied iFi phono2 owner I am a bit shocked to read about these problems :mad:.

But good to hear that their service seems OK and that yours got fixed!:).

Very interesting to hear that it seems to sound better than before!:p.

Could it be that iFi used an upgraded - not yet released - board already?

10. Leigh

Leigh https://orf.media

Mine still sounds great! I have a MC cart and use the highest amplification possible. It's super quiet!

11. LakeMountain

Same here! They updated their power supply last year, very quiet.

12. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

So it was the power supply that was taking them out presumably?

13. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

It was a great sounding unit, but ultimately very unreliable. If they had been reliable, I'd likely still be running mine.

Odd you should mention the 640P. I had one for a while. One day it didn't work anymore. I opened it up and all of the power supply caps had leaked all over the board. It was loaded with super cheap parts. No more Cambridge Audio products for me.

drobo likes this.
  14. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Mines been going for 10 years. Parts no cheaper than what others use but many replace caps in it to mod and improve it such as hypnotoad.

After the first two pages I was about ready to order one of these units. Now not so much. Hopefully they straighten this out.

15. LakeMountain

Possibly. I had a test model with the previous power supply plug from my dealer. He already told me that, if I buy it, I would get one with an updated power supply.
    I had a slight hum with the test model, which was not present with the updated one, when I bought it ( and I would have returned if the hum would still be there).

16. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

iphono 3 Black Label is coming on May 22.

17. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Yep, there's a picture of the new Iphono 3 on their IG - details are scant.

I read the Iphono 2 had a silent revision in terms of its PSU. Assume this what encompasses the black edition. Interested to see this model...

18. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Addition of mono switch would be good.

19. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Glad to hear they sorted things out. It’s a great sounding unit marred by that PSU malfunction.

20. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

Another 6 months on the counter, it's still works (on 24/7) ...

Heckto35 likes this.
  21. Strat-Mangler

Glad it's working out for you. Myself, too many reports to even take a chance on their devices and their customer service didn't get raving reviews either. Hopefully, you won't need to ever contact them.

Memphisflash, Phil Thien and bever70 like this.
  22. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Yeah I am tempted but their customer service sucked when I had issues with 2

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  23. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

24. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Mmmm. Is it the same just with addition of new psu?

25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I doubt the external PSU was the issue (just AC/DC conversion plus filtration) but some sort of internal issue with power regulation components.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.