Hearing loss, Pete Townshend, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, May 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

2. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Thanks, prix, for the post. Good articles.

There are previous posts on this forum, as well, that address this subject.

I don't really crank my stereo too much at home, but I think the car stereo, my own little concert hall, is a place I tend to overdo it a bit.

In my twenties I had a pretty good car stereo that I used to crank up pretty regularly. Alpine EQ, everything but subwoofers. Pretty damn loud.

Changed cars, never quite got around to installing new stuff.

Until just recently, put in some better car speakers. And now that I'm in my late forties I worry about hearing loss. So I find myself turning it up for favorite passages, but cranking it back down pretty often, too.

And after reading this stuff I think I'll be spending a lot of time trying to find a better listening level, loud enough to get the soundstage and feel the instuments, but still talk without having to shout.

And, of course, better equipment would do the trick ....:rolleyes:

3. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Thanks for the articles. I've never really liked loud music or environments (bars, etc.) but I do crank my car audio sometimes.

Great info to have & pass on to others.

4. lsupro

lsupro King of Ignorers

Great info...

Thank you!

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I still need to transfer my stuff to the Buick. But my system puts out about 500 watts of good, clean power. I noticed one thing: that sh!tty Delco system sounds loud, but when the sound is clean and powerful from my "real" system, there is less distortion and it tends not to sound quite as loud even though the decibels are a little higher. I could listen at levels a little louder without getting any listening fatigue at all...and no ringing ears when I stepped out of the car.

I think it is much like the old scenario about giving your tweeters enough power. Underpower your tweeters and the clipping distortion will destroy them from too much high frequency energy. More power will keep it clean, and while it may not sound as loud, it is easier on the ears to listen to and, I'd assume, better for your ears as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.