Heaviest Sloooow Doom Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sternodox, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

Have you checked out Trial of the Bow? It's a side project from the diSEMBOWELMENT guys consisting of ambient world music. Not Metal at all but an amazing listen none the less!

2. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I just saw Monolord a couple of weeks ago and am a convert. Check out their latest album Vaenir or latest single Lord of Suffering.

3. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Monolord are awesome! I actually suggested them in the Essential Stoner Rock thread but they could fit here too I guess. GREAT band regardless!!!

Sternodox and gillcup like this.
  4. jiffypopinski

This is some of the most suffocating, oppressive doom I own by the Spanish duo Of Darkness.

Sternodox likes this.
  5. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas Thread Starter

Love Of Darkness! Their one full-length is two songs, each 20+ minutes. Haunting, disturbing stuff. Especially the vocals.

jiffypopinski likes this.
  6. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Apologies if this has been posted already earlier but you reminded me of the great band Demilich when you mentioned vocals - more death than doom but easily the "cookiest" of the "cookie monster" vocals - sort of like that guy we all knew in high school who could guzzle a can of Coke and burp the alphabet.

7. jiffypopinski

Cough's Still They Pray is a strong contender for my top ten list this year. Just a SICK doom album with excellent vocals and tripped-out, sludgy tuneage.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  8. arem

arem Forum Resident

If you dig it slow-heavy-spacey you really need to check out Slomatics from Belfast Ireland. Their new record "future Echo Returns" just came out and it is amazing.

Sprague Dawley and jiffypopinski like this.
  9. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Catacombs - In The Depths Of R'lyeh. Funeral doom in the Esoteric/Evoken style.

10. dave-tx

dave-tx Forum Resident

Also recorded/produced by Electric Wizard's Jus Osborn. So you know it's gonna be doooooom. :)

jiffypopinski likes this.
  11. jiffypopinski

I have this CD on the way! I mentioned it in the Stoner Rock thread recently. I guess there's a lot of crossover between the doom/stoner genres but I personally consider Slomatics more a Melvins-inspired stoner band with heavy doom elements. Truly amazing band either way!!!

Sprague Dawley likes this.
  12. jiffypopinski

I guess I should also mention Un out of Seattle at this point. They are on the same label as the new Slomatics so I added the CD to my order. This one is also mastered by Mr. James Plotkin. :pleased:

This is some crushing, otherworldly dooooom!!!!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  13. jiffypopinski

Here's the track that sold me on the new Slomatics album. It's a mother!!!!

Sprague Dawley and arem like this.
  14. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

15. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Some love for Noothgrush.

unclesalty likes this.
  16. jiffypopinski

Haven't played this monster in a while...

Awesome stuff!!!!!

17. jiffypopinski

The bludgeoning doom of Floor:

Sprague Dawley and unclesalty like this.
  18. jiffypopinski

I recently got into Atavist. II:Ruined is an awesome album of depressive, sludgy doom...

19. jiffypopinski

I finally got around to Monarch and am hooked! This band might be the godhead of all doom/drone/dirge metal. Their track from the split with grindcore band Elysium is especially brutal... just one loooooong soul-crushing track called "Amplifire Death March". :love:

20. jiffypopinski

Simply massive......

21. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

22. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Chopin's Piano Sonata #2 (Funeral) . Where doom music began.

steviebee and Gez like this.
  23. POGunter

POGunter Forum Resident

24. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

25. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident

recently bought that CHRCH record but Battleground Records are taking their sweet goddamn time sending it out. Getting a wee bit antsy here.

Top thread here though, will have to check out the bits I'm missing.

my taek on my doom LP's

Sleep - Dopesmoker - should like this more but it just dont click like it should

Goatsnake are a big yes. All of it.

WarHorse - As Heaven Turns To Ash. fairly forgettable tracks here.. great ****-bludgeon sound though

Corrupted. at one stage I had almost everything by these guys but daftly it dawned on me the cookie monster vocals are just a deal breaker

Sunn O))) & Boris - Altar. so good.

Boris - Amplifier Worship. love this. pure dull drone munt

Monolord - Vænir. not really digging it. much prefer the torqued out distrotion of Empress Rising

Acid King - the first 3 or so are a huge yes. Dunno about the new one? treacle fuzz sleepytime. Monotonous and boring. Just the way I like it

Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics. GODHEAD

Torche - Restarter. pop candy doom. so addictive. the other lp's have their moments

Cavity - Supercollider . still bummed I snoozed and losed on LP reissue, Revolver have run out. "On The Lam" is nothing on this

Conan - horseback and split w/Slomatics were the best. the rest are a big yes but somehow dont destroy like they used to

Harvey Milk - Life.The Best Game In Town & Courtesy. ALL MEAT.

Earth - A Bureaucratic Desire For Extra-Capsular Extraction- heard their others arent too flash. But this is glory time monotony drudgeland

Melvins - Lysol. for some reason the only melvins that really worked for me

Neurosis - Souls At Zero & Times Of Grace. ALL-TIME

my #1 favourite doom lp though is Harvey Milk - A Small Turn Of Human Kindness. Perfection. The apogee of misery. The nadir of No. Sounds like one seamless track, the soundtrack to despair. Starts slow and stays slow. They take their sweet mother****ing time doing ANYTHING here. The music comes to them, they do not go to it. The great ones seem to have all the time in the world. Put this on with unwelcome guests over and they will NEVER come back. NOT for listening to in the company of others. **** em, you dont need them. You've got this.