Heavy tracking weight and record wear - especially Ortofon SPUs

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by markus53, Dec 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markus53

markus53 Well-Known Member Thread Starter

Hey all -

All my cartridges are designed to run right around the 2 gram +/- mark.

Notionally this would seem to cause less record wear than if I were to track an Ortofon SPU at 3.5 grams or more.

So, those of you who use heavy-tracking cartridges (especially SPUs), what is your experience with record wear? Do the heavy tracking weights cause "more" damage to the record grooves than lower-tracking-weight cartridges?

Also, does anyone know how stylus profile affects record wear? Is a spherical stylus profile harder or easier on the vinyl? How about elliptical vs. micro-ridge or shibata? Anyone have a basis upon which to have an opinion?

Thanks,
    Markus

2. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

A couple of things to consider - when vinyl was first developed, most cartridges were large / heavy and tracked at levels similar or more than the SPUs you mention. So we're at least fairly certain LPs made through the 60's weren't negatively impacted by a 4g TF.

Then, a cartridge designed to run at 2g TF, and run too heavy at say 3g will do more harm than any cartridge run at it's recommended TF. Even if it's a 4g TF cartridge.

I've seen this topic discussed many times, my takeaway from prevailing wisdom is an SPU is not wearing your records out any faster than say an AT33PTGii if they're set up correctly.

BTW, I own 6 or 7 SPUs, and many other newer cartridges, I haven't noticed any abnormal wear and I use my SPUs a lot (I run more than one TT).

kt66brooklyn and markus53 like this.
  3. The Dragon

The Dragon Forum Resident

If all things are equal, then physics dictates that the higher the tracking force, the more wear it will cause due to friction alone. This wear applies to both the record and the stylus. The real enemy of record wear is a worn stylus or failure of the stylus to maintain correct/precise contact with the record grooves. Mistracking due to dirt on the stylus or record will cause wear as will an improperly set up cartridge/stylus/tonearm. I tend to stay with cartridges/styli that track at 2g or lower, but I really don't see an issue running a properly set up SPU @ 3.5 grams. Especially if it has an advanced stylus profile with a long contact patch that spreads out the contact pressure over a wider area.

kt66brooklyn, Leonthepro and markus53 like this.
  4. markus53

Several questions, since you're experienced with SPUs.
    1. Do you think a Jelco 750L (12 inch) tonearm (I have the optional heavy weight) will perform satisfactorily? It's mounted on my Garrard 401. I'm currently using a Shelter 901 and think it's a pretty nice cartridge.
    2. How sensitive to VTA are the SPUs? I have Pete Riggles VTAF mounted on the Jelco on the 401 and find it quite a pain to dial in cartridges. I guess I'm looking for something that will have the beauty and richness of the Shelter but will be less sensitive to having VTA dialed in to perfection.
    3. Where did you start with SPUs? What was your first (if I may ask)? Why do you have so many? What other cartridges do you like? Have you compared any of your SPUs to any of the EMTs? Or any of the Japanese cartridges?

Lot of questions, I know, but I'd appreciate any thoughts you'd be willing to share.

5. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

Used various SPUs for decades with no problems

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  6. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Yes more weight causes more wear, but low weight that leads to mistracking is even more damaging short term.

As for profiles, yes better profiles are more gentle and last longer. With a finer shape there is less chance of mistracking as well.

Read this if you want to learn about the topic:
    https://www.sound-smith.com/articles/stylus-shape-information

markus53 likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

No cart needs anything close to VTA perfection and that typically doesnt exist in the real world either, largely an audiophile obsession.

markus53 likes this.
  8. TheVinylAddict

Physics does dictate that more weight means more wear, but there seems to be an overriding assumption from some that 4g pressure is *enough* pressure to be a problem, and suddenly wears out your record. It's not.

I'm not sure how the myth developed where the model is 2g is enough, but 4g is too much.

9. TheVinylAddict

You asked me eight questions there... :) so maybe pick them off one at a time - what is the effective mass of the tonearm, with SPUs that'll be the limiter because they're heavy in mass, and are low compliance.

My GT-2000L is 22g Effective Mass, which is high EM compared to many mainstream TT's, but still a touch light for my 2000L still. I have to add a little extra weight.... it works well, but I'm on the fringe. My SPU's range in weight from 28g to 35g, the heavier ones are more challenging (like my CG25 DI Mkii - which it technically not an SPU).

Start there. Effective Mass?

10. Leonthepro

We agree Im pretty sure. Every VTF that is not 0 wears out the record eventually. 4g should be about twice as fast as 2g, but its better to do the correct VTF rather than have it mistrack.

11. TheVinylAddict

How many SPU's have you run on your system?

12. Leonthepro

None.

13. markus53

It appears there is some debate about this. For the sake of discussion I'll share the best guess I read, which is 20 grams.

14. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I have a couple of SPU’s now. One is off at Ortofon now for service and the other is playing a great old Blue Note as I write.

I added an extra weight to the Audio Technical ATP 12T I am using it with and that has made all the difference in track-ability. The SPU needs a high mass arm and the counterweight as close to the pivot as possible.

I have some very dynamic records that still don’t play well with the SPU, but I have another turntable for those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.