Hello CDs, I missed you!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by punkmusick, Dec 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Nice, but you were 7 when CDs arrived.

2. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

No it's not the same, cds are much much better, even through the same dac, cd players are much better transports..

3. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer Thread Starter

I don't have a CD player.

4. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I'm a CD guy and not ashamed to admit it . I do use Spotify, mainly to listen to the bonus tracks on box sets, and this time of year, a lot of Christmas albums

tmtomh likes this.
  5. punkmusick

I don't remember CDs being sold in my Brazilian hometown when I was 7 but I might be wrong.

tmtomh and OptimisticGoat like this.
  6. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

"CD Story"... ;)

[​IMG]

7. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

I often wonder why the boffins never invented a better case but cheap is what the labels wanted I suppose. I see the odd super jewel case that seems more sturdy and the Japanese mini-lp for cd is cool too but rare Ive only one. The cardboard ones get damaged easy and its hard to get the CDs out of them ive had to remove some CDs from the card and put in poly sleeves or it would have wrecked them sooner rather than later.

punkmusick likes this.
  8. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I do understand the comfort feeling of owning the physical product I have three shelves of favorite CDs in my home office. Not counting the 800 in various racks in the basement.

I also still have about 30 vinyl albums lying around....and who knows how many other legacy music and video playback media types. I play some old records now and then; but I like the improved low end of CDs and other digital media. My records that I kept are quite clean, but I still like the absence of surface noise with digital.

Having said all that....95% of my music listening is from portable DAP units. Primarily FLAC files, redbook and hi res; with some SACD ISO files thrown in. Those are either listened to via headphones of the auxiliary input jack in my car.

So the physical CDs are for comfort and aesthetics but generally not for playback.

Chrome_Head and punkmusick like this.
  9. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It's also a thrill to bring a dirty pressing that seems like it's beyond hope back to life via cleaning.

One of the first used records I ever bought was a copy of Wish You Were Here (turns out it was an 80's reissue). The record was so dirty and static-y that listening to it through all those quiet passages was unbearable (even had some embedded gunk that the needle skipped over). Really thought it was thrashed and unlistenable, until just a few washings later, it now sounds unbelievable. So glad I kept it even when it was seemingly unplayable.

Man at C&A and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Chrome_Head

Not to mention, the players were prohibitively expensive for several years. I didn't get my first CD player until about 1994, which was a hand-me-down from my older sister.

tmtomh and punkmusick like this.
  11. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

CDs did not become widely available in Australia until about 1984-5 and were not widely purchased for a couple more years (say1986). So you would have been 11 or so. I was born in 1971 and did not buy a CD until about 1988. Players and discs were very expensive.

punkmusick likes this.
  12. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

There's something to be said about a physical format. I can't see myself ''reading'' a virtual novel. Even though the words may be the same, the pages, cover, and smell of a book add more to the different senses - not to mention the nostalgia associated with the actual physical copy (like writing your name on the opening page when you were younger).

ClassicalCD and Who'sTommy like this.
  13. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

This ^

I like the physical product as well. The old school is the best school.

mark winstanley likes this.
  14. Chrome_Head

It's interesting to have grown up in a time where I have both tons of physical stuff and now tons of virtual stuff.

I don't mind reading on a tablet, it's super convenient, and sometimes you can get reading material on a tablet very cheaply. But I still have piles of real books as well (though I buy them far less now).

Mr_Vinyl and punkmusick like this.
  15. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

A room full of books and music is a room with character.

The alternative is something like their rooms in Star Trek: TNG- sterile.

16. I love CDs! Thanks to Philips, Sony, and the other eventual partners (Denon, Matsushita/Panasonic/Technics, Victor-JVC, Sanyo, Toshiba, Sharp, Hitachi, etc.).

Dave, ClassicalCD and tmtomh like this.
  17. George Cooke

George Cooke Well unknown member

I spent a couple of days in Edinburgh the other week and enjoyed browsing several record and CD shops.

I actually picked up a couple of LPs and carried them home on the train separately from my other bag. It took me back to the times when I used to go out just to buy a record and come back with it - straight upstairs to open it and smell, listen and read the liner.

I still enjoy buying CDs as well, although I need my specs to read the spines these days!

Physical product certainly gives a tactile and sensual joy.

18. punkmusick

Every time I travel abroad I come back with some records. I love visiting record stores. One of the first things I do when I get to some unknown city, which happens quite often because of my work, is to write "record store" in Google Maps.

19. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

So why did my "Hello mimeograph I missed you" thread get deleted???

Crimson Witch and BuckNaked like this.
  20. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

I bet if they made a top loading cd player that spun at 33 1/3 with a fake tone arm that clamped down the cd in the middle, the kids would just lap that up.

And yes, I love my cds too.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  21. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

I love CDs, SACDs, and Blu-ray Audio. I walked away from vinyl a long time ago and never looked back.

22. punkmusick

Try a different turntable, your Mickey Mouse model might not be good enough.

BuckNaked likes this.
  23. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

Speak for yourself! There is still no gift like a CD for me.

24. Memphisflash

Memphisflash Forum Resident

Music, HiFi and Wifes don't mix very well ;-))

Pop_Zeus likes this.
  25. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

I have no idea what you are referring to...:cheers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.