Hello, Steve?!? I’ve got a question about the 1993 DCC version of Pet Sounds and "Caroline, No"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Timos, Aug 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timos

Timos Forum resident Thread Starter

I got my hands on a used but perfectly good version of this cd recently, and like it very much; the warmth - but not total domination - of the bass, the odd revealing intricacy given the wall of sound production and ‘mono-ness’, but I have a question that I really can’t find an answer to ANYWHERE and I’m hoping that maybe Mr. Hoffman himself can answer...

Why was ‘Caroline, No’ split into two tracks, i.e.: the song itself and the dogs and train ending (the latter being named “Conclusion”? This doesn’t seem to have been repeated since, nor was this edit made previous to 1993 (correct me if I’m wrong, though). Mr. Hoffman himself kept the song as one track for the AF remaster in 2009 - why this time and not then? It just bugs me, that’s all. I’ve blended the two tracks on my iTunes library, so the total number of tracks for the DCC version numbers 14 instead of 15.

Anyway, I’d love to find the answer to the above, if anyone (Steve?! Pretty please??!?!) can offer any insight. Thank you!!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Brian wanted it as one, I asked him. We did it for the AF. The DCC respected the way the song was on the 45. Simple as that.

3. Timos

Wow. Thank you, that makes perfect sense. And thank you for your personal reply (and quickly!).

Since you’re on, can I ask one more question? I’m getting the AF CD for Christmas (CAN’T FREAKIN’ WAIT). I’ve read that it’s a HDCD. Will I still hear the benefits of this newer version, even though I’ve only got a standard CD player? Thank you.

4. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I prefer "Caroline, No" -- possibly my favorite BB's song -- a separate track (and yes, I have the DCC CD :edthumbs: ).

Why should we listen to Brian Wilson when it comes to the Beach Boys if he disagrees with me, anyway?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    S. P. Honeybunch and Timos like this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I like that the artist would care enough to at least do it this way "just this once", so there was at least a chance the marketplace would give consumers the choice (of course, only if they know the difference, and why). It's not like Brian can go re-commission new versions of the DCC master with the later fix.

I don't know what the print runs on these do to the artists' decisions as to "what if this time we...", but, do you suppose this was a whimsical thing for Brian, or is this a one-last-chance of fixing a long-time irritant for him.

Timos likes this.
  6. Timos

You know what? I’m gonna rip those tracks to iTunes again, and leave them as they are - ‘Caroline, No’ and ‘Conclusion’ - if only to acknowledge that MR. STEVE HOFFMAN PERSONALLY REPLIED TO ONE OF MY POSTS!!!

Sorry, it’s a big deal to me!

Anyone else re: my question regarding the benefits of the rebook layer of the AF?? I’m getting it anyway, but it would be useful to know.

7. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

No peak extend on AF HDCD's, you'll only hear the mastering
    If any benefits are to be found because of HDCD use it's the converter itself used, not if the 'little light' comes on :)
    You're going to get the same mastering with or without-
    So you're good to go :cheers:

Lewisboogie and Timos like this.
  8. Timos

Great! Thanks, man!

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Glad to make your day. The AF is going to be more of a neutral mastering, more like the sound of the actual tape. I like it both ways and I play both versions all the time. No favorite. Good to get both the DCC and the AF. Enjoy.

10. Timos

Thank you again!

It’s gonna be a good Christmas!!

All the best

Tim

11. Timos

I’ve finally listened to the AF. It’s early days yet, but my God it sounds lovely. More ‘refined’ somehow - has the warmth of the DCC but with greater detail. A happy balance, really. Could well be the holy grail for me.

Merry Christmas Steve, and thank you for your work.

12. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Happy Hanukkah to Steve and family as well.

Timos and Steve Hoffman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.