Help me end the madness!-phono IC’s*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 69sixpackbee, Nov 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 69sixpackbee

69sixpackbee Active Member Thread Starter

Greetings, y’all and Happy Thanksgiving!
    I have narrowed down my choices between two final candidates for my phono IC’s.
    I have to assemble 10 foot cables to reach my audio rack from the distance of my TT’s to the rack. I am mounting the turntables on floating shelves attached to one of the brick walls in my music room. I am using MM carts in both of my tables so low impedance is much more necessary.
    I have narrowed the choices down to Mogami 2549 or Belden 1505f. And both are just a few picofarads shy of the other. Just for added benefit I will wire the Mogami’s “open ended”. I can get both of these cables for just about the same price. I will terminate them with quality RCA’s
    I have heard NUMEROUS kudos with respect to both and that is what makes this hard.
    If YOU had the choice, which would you prefer for tonal quality?
    Thanx!
    Bud

2. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

Neither, that's to long of a run for phono cables. You want them as short as possible. Put a phono preamp close to the tables and run a line out for the 10' runs.
    Your only dealing with a 0.005V signal coming from the cartridge, a line out from the phono preamp will boost that up to 1 to 2v.

Billwojo

bever70 likes this.
  3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Yup. Step the voltage up locally, run down well shielded cables to the amp.

4. AP1

AP1 Forum Resident

This is very much correct answer. Get phono preamp as close to TT as possible. Keep phono cables under 3 feet. If you have grounding wire between turntable and preamp, wrap it around phono cables.

ultron9 likes this.
  5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I have a 10 foot distance myself.
    I keep the phone pre close to the table and use XLR interconnects for the long run.
    I found less signal loss from the XLR vs RCA's.

6. 69sixpackbee

69sixpackbee Active Member Thread Starter

I guess I can nix the phono input on my receiver(s) and use one of the line level inputs then when using a separate phono stage. No problemo.
    Thanx!

bever70 and Slick Willie like this.
  7. ayrehead

ayrehead Bipedal Forum Resident

Why?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.