Help me find tube preamp <$1,500 to go with solid state (NAD326bee) power amp

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by msinderson, May 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msinderson

msinderson Forum Resident Thread Starter

Last week I posted about possible tube integrated amps for my system and got some good suggestions. After considering the pros and cons of separates vs integrated I'm thinking I want to go the separates route. Here's my system:

Technics SL-1210GR with Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge
    Lounge LCR MKIII phono pre
    Schiit Modi Multibit DAC streaming Roon/Tidal
    Beresford Capella HP amp (may be replacing this soon)
    NAD 326bee integrated (thinking of keeping this as the power amp for now)
    Tekton Enzo XL's

Room is 14x17x8 and seating is ~8ft from speakers. Music is mix of most genre's (with emphasis on classic rock, jazz, blues and classical) and listening levels are almost always below 90db. The NAD volume knob almost never goes above 11 o'clock and it's only 50wpc into 8ohm. The Enzo's are at least 90db efficient and with the smaller size of the room and typical listening levels I think I'm good with using the NAD for power.

The primary goal is to get the sonic benefits of tubes (lush sound, holographic soundstage, etc.) while keeping the benefits of solid state. Secondary would be if the preamp had a decent headphone stage since I listen about 10-20% through headphones. I think the NAD would pair well with tubes so hoping I can tap the experience of everyone here to help me out. Here's a few options I've come up with so far:
    • Schiit Freya+: Seems to get good reviews and price is good
    • Decware CSP3: Great looks, seems to have nice headphone amp
    • Mapletree Line 2CRM: Seems to get great reviews
    • LTA MICROZOTL MZ2: Great reviews as both preamp and headphone. Interesting design
    I'm totally open to other suggestions. If anyone has direct experience with any of these I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance!

2. brubacca

brubacca Forum Resident

Rogue Audio RP-1 is close to that price. Its a great sounding preamp. It may be slightly over I'm not really sure.

Your other options look good as well.

I have a Schiit DAC and they make good products. Also Decware is well respected. Probably want to check out online forums and reviews.

3. souladdikt

souladdikt Forum Resident

Any reason you're not considering an Aegir? You could get it with Freya+ and be close to your budget.

billnunan likes this.
  4. daytona600

daytona600 Forum Resident

5. msinderson

My plan is to keep my NAD for now and use it as the power amp. The Aegir is interesting and is definitely on my list if I decide to switch out the NAD

6. gguy

gguy Forum Resident

Rogue RP-1 or a LTA Microzotl 2. The LTA will be a little more quiet.

7. msinderson

8. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

I had been happy with Freya +for three weeks.

If you roll decent Nos tubes (200$ for quad), it will make your system sing.

I use Sylvania vt231 in gain stage and Rca gray bottle in buffer stage.

9. msinderson

I've seen people get good results with different tubes in the Freya+. What did the Freya replace and how would you describe the sound? Also, what are you using for the power amp?

10. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident

I had tried Freya in my headphone system about three weeks ago to tame bright sound out of Raal Sr1a driven by Schitt Jotunheim R.

It really worked to make it more musical and balanced.

I also tried Freya in front of Kgsshv Carbon amp to drive Stax 009s.

Freya had made 00os sound more refined.

For 2 channel system, I had been using Line Magnetic 508 SET int amplifier for 2 years with good result.

11. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

Another denizen here is getting a Freya + as well, seems like a great little preamp. They currently seem to be out, delivery in a month for new ones.

12. BillWojo

BillWojo Forum Resident

If your not afraid of vintage a Audio Research SP6 or SP8 would be a very nice preamp along with some of the Conrad Johnson units.

BillWojo

Ezd and Vinyl Archaeologist like this.
  13. jbuhl

jbuhl Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  14. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Audible Illusions

15. RH67

RH67 Forum Resident

LTA MICROZOTL MZ2, simply amazing. I just paired one with a Pass Labs XA25 and the combination is spooky good.

16. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

I agree. Or even go for a more recent model like the Audio Research LS17. I've firsthand experience with using the LS17 combined with a NAD S200 power amp for many years. An excellent combo!

17. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

As mentioned above several times, the Rogue RP1 is a great option for you.

18. msinderson

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. Keep them coming! So far the Freya+ and Mapletree Line 2 CRM are in the lead, based on price and reviews. The LTZ MZ2 and Rogue RP-1 are still in the hunt. I've reached out to Lloyd at Mapletree to learn more about the Line 2 as far as options, etc.

19. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Try to find a preowned Rogue Audio Perseus Magnum. One of their best designs, IMO, and should fall under your price target.

20. Larry Johnson

Larry Johnson Senior Member

The Decware sounds great but no remote and only two rca inputs.

21. sturgus

sturgus Forum Resident

22. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

I've used a Mapletree 2A SE preamp for many years and very happy with it. Mine has the 6X5GT rectifier instead of the solid state rectification in the newer preamps Dunno how the new ones sound but if you like a "warm & lush" sound from a preamp the Mapletree will deliver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.