Help me solve a Toronto record store mystery?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Fever, Aug 7, 2021.

1. Fever

Fever New Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone can help me out. Around 2009/2010 there was a record store in the 2100 block of Queen Street East in Toronto's Beaches neighbourhood. It was close to Glen Manor Drive, on the North side of Queen, beside Swiss Chalet. It was called "Beach Music." It was still there when I moved away in 2012, but apparently closed sometime between then and 2015. It was kind of a one-man show, and the owner was really chatty and knowledgeable. I'm trying to track him down now. Any chance someone knows his name, or has any other leads? I would be eternally grateful.

2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Have you tried other Toronto stores? There's a lot of networking between most record stores.

3. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Google streetview goes back to 2007 for that area. Has a quick look and didn't see anything myself. You might have better luck since you actually went to the shop, the images might spark a memory.

4. ShortstackRecords

ShortstackRecords Forum Resident

Beach Sound Records?

Sean, Tim 2 and eddiel like this.
  5. Fever

Thanks for the suggestion. I've called a couple, but definitely not an exhaustive list.

6. Fever

Ah no, that place is on Kingston Road. I'll give them a call though, they might at least have a lead.

7. Fever

Thanks! I'd heard that Google Streetview had an archive feature but I've never explored it.

8. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

The person who owned that shop went to school with me, but was older, I can’t remember his name. Too bad that he closed, I think his brother was involved as well. Sorry that I can’t help.

9. Fever

Thanks anyway! Small world.

10. Weren't they early adopters of record sales on eBay? I'm sure I bought things from him around 2005-ish.

11. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Sean likes this.