Help me to get Elton John!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sgt. Abbey Road, Nov 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There are plenty of other forums.

ARK, sjaca and TimM like this.
  2. kundryishot

kundryishot Forum Resident

Here and There probably contains much of his best works, the London tracks sans Buckmaster's hideous arrangements are really quite fine

3. Quakerism

Quakerism Serial number 141467.

I had a few of Elton’s albums. I think Tumbleweed Connection, definitely Madman, and Yellow Brick Road and Honkey Chateau. After that I quickly moved on and never revisited him. I’m not drawn to pop culture icons.

I went to the Farewell Yellow Brick Road concert in Cleveland in 2018. I was under the impression this was his last concert tour. Who knew there would be a Final Tour that wasn’t so final either?

If you need help getting Elton John then I’d say go ahead and move on. You won’t miss him. Those of you that enjoy him, and there are a lot….I think that’s cool. He definitely made his mark.

4. Zhan

Zhan swimming with the maenads

That makes about as much sense as saying "there are other theaters" to Patrick Stewart when the Trekkies show up and ruin everything.

5. Well, judging by your last post that I replied to, you don't seem to be happy on "this ****ing boomer forum".

ARK likes this.
  6. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Everything from Elton John to Captain is essential, after that play with caution, though really enjoy the record he did 10/15 years ago with Leon Russell.

plugmeintosomething likes this.
  7. AngusStanley

AngusStanley Forum Resident

A little thing called Covid postponed it for a year plus. He’s still doing that tour, it’s almost done. It’s a mammoth tour of 300+ dates.

tonyc and Quakerism like this.
  8. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

Which is exactly why I love it: vast and varied. It's hard to believe, a lot of the time, that it's all from the same guy. He's reinvented himself so often and yet it's difficult (for me, anyway) to truly dislike any of it. It's all part of this wondrous strange tapestry that is his discography.

My advice: Start with the "classic years" stuff that's easy to get, so maybe ca. 1970-75. Tumbleweed, Yellow Brick Road and Captain Fantastic certainly won't disappoint you. Then, go straight to his 1980s "royal flush", including everything from The Fox (1981) up to and including Breaking Hearts (1984). Those albums, I and others believe anyway, are as strong as his 1970s "classic years" albums. But after that, it's kind of touch-and-go, at least for beginners. For ongoing guidance, consult the album-by-album discussion thread that's about to wrap up in a few weeks: Elton John's Albums Discussion 1969-present

9. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

(request) Help me to get Elton John!

A: No need to like him, or anybody just because many people do.

Recordfan likes this.
  10. stanleynohj

stanleynohj Forum Resident

Funny, I absolutely love Elton John, and never bought a single Billy Joel record.

Recordfan and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  11. stanleynohj

As far as getting Elton John...

well he's a fantastic songwriter, a fantastic singer, a fantastic piano player, and a fantastic performer....plus a very decent fellow (former egomaniac) who cares about the world.

That's about it.

12. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

Try The Stranger from 1977 or The Nylon Curtain from 1982! These two albums are incredibly fantastic:agree:

Solly Bridgetower likes this.
  13. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

It's spotty for sure after Captain Fantastic and several late 80s albums are out right terrible. But Elton rebounded artistically starting with Songs From The West Coast and made some solid records after that. The Captain And The Kid is a late career highlight.

Solly Bridgetower likes this.
  14. plugmeintosomething

plugmeintosomething Forum Resident

Not sure why we're talking about Billy Joel in an Elton thread. I've never really felt their music had much in common.
    I've never been a Billy fan but 52nd Street is a fantastic album. Only Billy album I need.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  15. Bassist

Bassist Forum Resident

Probably the major artist whose Greatest Hits sets are the most misleading records in their catalogue. What I suspect you want is Elton more in Leon Russell / Richard Manuel mode than what used to get him on to Top of the Pops.

Everything up to andi including Captain Fantastic is worth owning. Especially the self titled sophomore set and Tumbleweed Connection. The two live albums from that era are also very decent especially the extended version of Here & There. There is also an expanded 17 11 70 but I missed out on that RSD reissue and I've not heard it.

16. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident Thread Starter

52nd Street is funnily enough my least favourite album from Billy Joel‘s prime:laugh:

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...get these 2...Elton John and Tumbleweed...you should get it then.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  18. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

For me, loving Elton John’s records at his peak meant also loving the band backing him, mainly Dee, Davey and Nigel (and sometimes Ray).

From Honky Château through Captain Fantastic I listened as much to the band, their sympathetic arrangements and their amazing harmonies…it made me realize how important they were to Elton’s music.

I never thought about Elton the diva star. To me they were The Elton John Band.

Recordfan and Sgt. Abbey Road like this.
  19. Michael

IMO, putting music to lyrics is easier than the reverse...

20. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Wrong.

DK Pete likes this.
  21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I recommend everything
    from Sgt. Zippo
    to
    Blue Moves *

* with the exception
    of Westies

Last edited: Mar 25, 2022
  22. stanleynohj

I can't really explain why I don't like Joel. Theoretically I should. His voice sort of bugs me, and the music/lyrics, I don't know. It seems maybe more predictable or mundane. He's very much in the same vein as people I love, Beatles, McCartney, Nilsson, Elton...and he has written some nice songs...yet...he just doesn't interest me really at all.

Elton, on the other hand, I worship as much as The Beatles.

Sgt. Abbey Road and DK Pete like this.
  23. Michael

...are you a songwriter?

24. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Well, it's actually Bernie Taupim who misses his lady.

25. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

A songwriter is not just someone who writes the words, but also who composes the actual music. So yes, Elton is a songwriter too.

DK Pete likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.