Help recommend which stereo system components are more important to upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by vanny1, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

Ah yes, good point. However, I'm on this mission for bigger speakers and a bigger amp. I probably don't need it, but I guess I wanna blow my brains out and have the system throw me up against the back wall. I must be a masochist. :D

2. motorcitydave

3. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Exactly.

Speakers (70% of the sound from your system), then cart. In the process search out the amp you really want.

If your not that into TTs then it's:
    1. Speakers
    2. a wonderfull sounding amp that really strikes a chord in your brain.
    3. followed by an excellent 'new' CD player.

4. Fast996

Fast996 Forum Resident

Bass is the foundation of any system,but many would point out the midrange and high end are favorites.

I would look for a exceptional set of used speakers and to fill that room your going to need 15 inch drivers.

I have owned the same speakers for thirty years. Great design and quality never go out of style. The price will escalate but a higher price doesn't necessarily mean better.

Something like these would be perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. motorcitydave

I gotta have 15 inch drivers! :D

6. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

7. preferred user

preferred user Member

Vanny if you wanna go loud get a pair of cerwin vega cls 215 dual 15' woofers saw a pair at overstock.com 800.00 they are out of them and so are most stores so if you want em you will need to shop them soon. Rumor has it they might be discontinued. Then if you want drive them with a crown xls 1000 can be had for 299.00 that combo will get loud other than Khorns or Bose 901,s
    thats the loud. 901's w/bose equalizer will get major disco stupid loud but you need a thermonuclear amp to drive them.
    http://www.cerwinvega.com/home-audio/floorstanding-speakers/cls-215.html
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--CWNXLS1000
    now if you want stupid and cheap here are some cheap DJ?PA THINGS I would pass on these
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NPP9SK...e=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000NPP9SK

8. McGruder

McGruder Eternal Musicphile

If you are sold on just buying speakers for now (which is a good idea), I like to recommend Vandersteen 2CE Signature and Thiel CS3.6 on the used market for full range, budget minded speakers in the$1200 or so range. Vandersteen if you like a slightly dark presentation, and Thiels if you like more detail. Hard to beat at their respective price points.

9. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

My new PSB Image T6 are fantastic for the money. And I think that I'd always now go with a more fullrange affordable speaker like this than spending the same on a more refined monitor... there's too much good stuff in the lower octaves. In fact, that reminds me of a real eye opener several years ago. I got a new system.. Arcam diva amp and cd, and Quad 11L monitors. Was very pleased with the increased resolution. BUT, when I added a sub, I was amazed that Thom York's voice changed!! I didn't realize I was missing vocal harmonics.

10. vanny1

vanny1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

help....

motorcitydave..I like that setup..thxs.
    How are those speakers? I am going to check them out.

I was looking at these speakers, anybody have experience with these?
    http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15476-wharfedale-diamond-101-bookshelf-speaker-pr.aspx

Not sure if the power of the wharfedale bookcase will cover my dimensions.
    If I were to get the Wharfedale speakers think I should go w/a Power amp?
    If so any recomendations?used?

11. preferred user

preferred user Member

The Polk 70's would fill your space way more than the warfdales the warfdales are for a small area .Those Polks are pretty good .
    this was real good from post #17
    Sounds like you are trying to do that. Again you really need floor standers for that size room
    regards

12. kippy

kippy Forum Resident

Spend all the dough on used speakers. And make sure they are efficient speakers. That will save you money in the long run.

13. preferred user

preferred user Member

link

check these out

14. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

No, these speakers are too small for your room. You have a huge space, bookshelves aren't made for those dimensions.

15. vanny1

vanny1 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sorry I meant Synthfreek..I like that setup..thxs.
    How are those speakers? I am going to check them out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.