Help With Plex Media Server and Sony UBP-X800

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BIGGER Dave, Dec 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident Thread Starter

Earlier this week I set up streaming from my Dell PC (built 2016) to my Sony UBP-X800 BD/4K Player using Plex Media Player for Windows software. Here’s what I did:

Researched different streaming softwares. Settled on Plex (mainly because I liked the name!). Downloaded Plex Media Player for Windows to the Dell PC and installed the software. I then allowed Plex to scan the hardrive inside the Dell PC for Media. It found my iTunes library (culled from CD’s), and made them available from within the Plex Media Player.

I then allowed Plex on the Dell PC to connect (by WiFi) to the Sony UBP-X800. The Plex ap was not immediately available on the Sony menu, however I found it inside the Opera TV / VEWD ap. The Plex ap within the Sony Player created a four character code which I then entered into the Plex Media Player software on the Dell PC and the response was “Account Linked”.

I then downloaded the Plex iPad ap onto my iPad, and this allowed me to control what was streaming between the Dell PC and the Sony UBP-X800. The system was then working as intended. Music was streaming from the Dell PC to the Sony Player, playback was trouble-free with no stuttering and no dropouts, and it was all controllable on the Plex ap on my iPad.

I then shut off the Sony UBP-X800, left the Dell PC powered on, and retired for the evening. The next day, I powered on the Sony Player and found the Plex account on the Dell PC was no longer linked to the Sony Player and required me to repeat the four character code process. My question is, do I need repeat the four character code process every time I power cycle the Sony Player or is there a way to keep them linked after power cycling the Sony Player? Thank you!

2. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Plex just released a new version of Server with a completely new UI. Release notes indicated that my TCL Roku TV had to have a certain firmware version or above to work with the new version of Server.

Just a guess, but maybe there's a new incompatibility issue with your Sony. A firmware update on the Sony might fix it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.