Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. WTLB

WTLB Forum Resident

A quick question here: do I NEED the WCSB Box Set if I already have the 1CD/DVD version???

I have the Purple Box and I enjoy it quite a bit, not THAT MUCH but still....

Thanks!

2. Yes, you do. There's another 3 discs of extra material in the box

Hep Alien, DTK, The Beave and 3 others like this.
  3. My take on West Coast Seattle Boy is that it is about Jimi the musician whereas the Purple Box is Jimi the rock star.
    Both are great but are very different.
    Back to this release until about 20 years ago I much preferred the Experience period.Since then I have increasingly enjoyed the post Experience sessions and shows to the point where I might even like them more.Needless to say that makes me excited for this set.

ron p, Hep Alien, Fred68 and 7 others like this.
  4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Nice!! Looking forward buying this set.

5. WTLB

WTLB Forum Resident

Well thank you for your response! But I was thinking more about........Is the most VALUABLE stuff already appears on the 1 CD compilation??

I might add that I really don't want to hear Hendrix with others singers or others guitarists for that matter.

Thanks!!!

6. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

We don't exactly know yet. But it seems a fair assumption. ELL had surround mixes.

tedhead and mark renard like this.
  7. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Excellent point. I’ve been doing a dive into disc 1 this week after listening to both Curtis Knight discs recently. Still would like to have Lonnie’s actual recordings with Jimi all in one place. They had a proper place on WCSB disc 1, but there are probably rights issues or something like that.

DTK likes this.
  8. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Well, I live a 12 minute walk away from a brewery, so Ive got that going for me.

...yes, Ive timed it.

GarySteel, ARK, cublowell and 8 others like this.
  9. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Just looking through the track list again. Im surprised/disappointed theres no Cherokee Mist. Surely theres more takes from EL Studios other than that which is on the Purple Box. Although, that take would be hard to beat.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. John Harchar

I don’t have my Ultimate Hendrix book with me but I don’t think he did it too often and it does seem they are avoid replicating too much from the boxes and elsewhere.

11. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

ELL 50th is great????

905 and SG47 like this.
  12. All Down The Line

Now I don't know if that is hilarious or just sad.

13. All Down The Line

How long then does it take on the way back?

patrickd, ARK, smokeverbs and 3 others like this.
  14. John Harchar

The other boxes have their flaws, that one is flawed period. I guess 5 out of 6 ain’t a bad batting average but that one mess up is a strike out in the bottom of the ninth with the bases loaded and you’re down by one, you don’t get over it easily.

MoonPool, SG47 and All Down The Line like this.
  15. All Down The Line

I read you clearly and I am not even a baseball guy.

As for WCSB I came close to purchase once and eventually settled on a sampler though that doesn't mean there were a few other tracks I really wanted though I had some things on boot.

16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Not even close, but it could’ve been.

905 and All Down The Line like this.
  17. Frip

Frip Forum Resident

Difficult to say what someone I don't know anything about *needs*...

But... Does the 1CD version take everything worth listening to from the boxset? Not nearly. It's not quite a random selection, but there's a lot of room for "how could they not include..." debates. For example, IMO, the demo recording of Angel, for all it's imperfections, is Hendrix's best rendition of that song.

SteveM and All Down The Line like this.
  18. WTLB

WTLB Forum Resident

Thank you very much!!! This is the kind of input I was seeking for!!! Maybe I'll reconsider buying it...

Tx

19. WTLB

WTLB Forum Resident

As for th new set, I'm looking forward having more details about it!!

20. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Anyone can post the Amazon link? I really can’t find it . Jimi will says thanks from beyond the valleys of Neptune

21. John Harchar

Just took a look what’s on the 1 CD version: no New Rising Sun, no Message of Love? Get the box. Hope you have luck finding one at a little better price than what I was seeing out there, mid $60 range, more than twice what the purple box is going for.

22. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Well for me me the Vinyl box is good to great.

1. ELL itself is a great new vinyl pressing amd a worthy alternative pressing to the 2010

2. The outakes vinyl is great. Could there have been more and better outtAkes. Absolutely.

3. Hollywood Bowl is a questionable inclusion. However, I am happy to haevr it. Would I have rather it been released as a straight Dagger and we would have gotten more outtakes. Yes.

4. Blu Ray 5.1 is awesome in my book and I am one of the few I gueds that also thinks the 2..0 Blu Ray is great too.

5. Making of Electric Ladyland a repeat with nothing new from prior DVD releases but nice to have all of it together.

Based on this I rate the box good to great. Was it everything I ever wanted related to ELl. No but there is a lot to like there for me.

I never have bought the CD version of the box and maybe my view would be a bit different if I had.

Bossyman, tedhead, shakti and 2 others like this.
  23. All Down The Line

Is that for a 2000 velvet box, a reissue or makes no difference?

24. John Harchar

I think it was the 2013 reissue with the 4 more tracks. They weren’t doing the velvet on the later reissues so that probably saved a hunch there.