Hendrix - Electric Lady Studios Box Set - MONTH DAY, 202?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Jan 4, 2022.

1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

:rolleyes: Announcement, retail item listing, whatever. It doesn’t matter. Amazon didn’t just make it up.

The point remains.

2. David67

David67 Forum Resident

And the answer remains the same which is the listing appeared, disappeared and then reappeared. Everyone here is in the dark so why not take this issue up with the Hendrix estate.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Good grief...what is your point?

My point was I don’t think it’s likely there is a warehouse full of box sets - and I used the Amazon early Jan date and the late March dates as evidence of that. No more, no less. The speculation that there is a warehouse full of them was based on...nothing (other than bitter lemon).

That the release date was or wasn’t officially announced by EH is irrelevant. Amazon didn’t just pull it out of thin air. They clearly got some sort of information - likely without all of the clearances - from the label, the distributor, or some other entity in the chain.

4. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Members are speculating simply because no one knows and since you or anyone else ain't getting the answers you're seeking, again I suggest y'all take it up with the Hendrix estate or call Amazon. Good luck with that endeavour.

I don't understand why folk have to get so het up over something so trivial.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No one is hot. One member speculated boxes are sitting in a warehouse and I said i don’t think it’s likely and why. Then you jumped in with a non-sequitur about contacting EH, etc. - as though they’re going to say anything with lawsuits pending.

Nevertheless, I think it’s pretty clear and logical that the release was well in the works, somebody screwed up and released the product info without clearance, and it got pulled because of the lawsuits. But I doubt the boxes have been made. Pressing timelimes are tighter than that - particularly these days.

If you have anything to actually add to that or refute it, please feel free to do so. I’m all ears.

6. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Unfortunately, I think we've been given an answer of "No" regarding a 2022 release of the Electric Lady box. Looks like the holiday product is going to be an 80th birthday commemorative book by Janie and John McDermott entitled "Jimi". Up for pre-order on the Experience Hendrix website now.

mark winstanley and marcb like this.
  7. David67

David67 Forum Resident

Dunno if any pics were posted previously. Anyway, here's a tease.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/91F3TU0icSL._SL1500_.jpg

And here's the link from which the image was sourced. But to save you time the reviewer hasn't got a clue either as to why the listing was pulled other than to speculate no official announcement by Experience Hendrix and Sony has yet been made.

Here Comes The Flood: New box set "Electric Lady Studios: A Jimi Hendrix Vision" in March

Whatever the reason for the delay, it ain't here so everyone needs to stop badgering each other and be patient a little while longer until the box of goodies is in your hands.

Have a pleasant weekend.

8. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I was looking forward to this... but like Pink Floyd's 5.1 releases it appears to be a "wait and see" scenario

9. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

That book, without any details has been on Amazon for months.

In essence it's a rehash of the illustrated book but without pullout stuff, at least that was the whispers in the sea shell :)

10. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Well no doubt it will be a "spirited" effort by these two wonderful authors.

Peter F likes this.
  11. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Experience Hendrix spokesperson replies.
    [​IMG]

12. John D.

John D. Senior Member

That was me, speculating about warehouse's full of box sets. Just decided to stir the pot a bit, enjoyed the response. :tiphat:

marcb likes this.
  13. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

In any event, it's a major disappointment and a pathetically weak consolation for not getting the box set.

The book is priced at $50 and the product description doesn't even give the number of pages we're being asked to pay for. Not one of Experience Hendrix's better moves.

14. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Tell Janie and John!

I'm as disappointed as the rest of you.

I'll save my comment for review.

15. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

If anything, that is proof there's a warehouse full of box sets. You don't have a release date two months after an announcement, without have product on the table and ready to go out. Especially with all the pressing plants having such incredibly long delays.

905, Bonddm, Headfone and 1 other person like this.
  16. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

Can't they just give us Memphis 70 on Dagger? Oh wait, Mitch is playing drums and his estate wants a piece....sigh.

905 likes this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You succeeded...:cussing:

John D. likes this.
  18. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Incorrect. Release dates are often provided for major label efforts with the announcement, but before mixing, etc is even finalized, let alone production finished. Production rarely happens a few months before release. It’s often just a few weeks or less before release - if for no other reason than because nobody wants to sit on inventory for months. It has always been this way.

Even most RSD stuff isn’t pressed until fairly late in the game - particularly these days - even though and some simply misses the date because they’re pressing stuff 24/7 up to the RSD date.

19. healter skealter

healter skealter Human animal

It's almost worth getting a job with Amazon, wearing a fat suit, and if it exists, smuggling one out up yer fake gut & never going back!

RockyRaccoon, Bonddm, jhm and 3 others like this.
  20. Tedster60

Tedster60 Well-Known Member

Good day all,

Keep hoping to see this pop-up on the Jimi Hendrix website, but no joy yet! Any updates?

21. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

22. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

But you are talking about a two month window. Not only that RSD product is constantly getting delayed due to pressing plant issues. That's the reason why there was another RSD just a couple weeks ago. Too many things got delayed.

I've never seen a two month window without product being available ready to ship. You don't make an announcement with nothing ready, expecting everything to be ready and pressed in two months. Especially in this day and age. Two months wouldn't even cover the time for printing the booklets/books/covers/whatever. Even 20 years ago.

I had a record label. I know it takes time for pressing plants to print and manufacture product. It doesn't happen overnight.

I also know people in the industry. I was just talking to someone in a major platinum selling band two days ago. They have product plans for a year from now for an archival release. Why so long? Because it takes time for the pressing plants and printers to press this up. An announcement doesn't happen in two months unless you have things pressed up and ready to go.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Bonddm likes this.
  23. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Well we obviously have 1 box made, a vinyl one, and thats been made public.
    Question is if EH signed off on it and put it into production.

What got completed, if they pulled the plug on this mid-production.
    The booklet, inserts, the box, the cds, and what seems to be the most unknown, schedule for vinyl pressing.

Easily there could be boxes of booklets, boxes, inserts, cds, vinyl sitting in a warehouse waiting to be assembled and shinkwrapped.

So when did we become aware of the set, and then the UK lawsuit that looks to have delayed the release?

24. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Having plans? Of course. That’s not the same as the product being manufactured and sitting in a warehouse. That’s more real time - and that combined with the production backlogs (particularly with vinyl and vinyl jackets) are why we are seeing so many dates get pushed back in the last few years.

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

How was it obvious the vinyl box got made?