Hendrix releases in 2019 speculation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Harchar, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident Thread Starter

OK, what do we think is coming out or has a reasonable shot?

My best bet for next year is Maui 1970, likely March (in my Lenten denial window of course)

What I expect: A CD/DVD combo with much of the concerts on one CD and a new doc about Rainbow Bridge
    What I'd like but won't get: the full concerts, the new doc and both versions of Rainbow Bridge included

I'd also like to see Bernie take a crack at remastering a War Heroes reissue to put it next to Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge. Be great to have some bonuses on there, but at this point, I'll take the 9 tracks, thank you.

Will we get Hollywood Bowl as a stand alone? Probably not yet. Hopefully we do get a Dagger next year, I'd like it to include some of the jams like Nine to the Universe and the GSR Machine Gun.

2. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

3. Big pete

Big pete Forum Resident

NFW things have not be resolved this is cut printed and ready to go and still the other party will not sign off 49 years 10 months later no release in sight .This is not experience hendrixs fault is on jerry goldstein whose other famous stalemate is sly stone .

unclefred likes this.
  4. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

I want Black Gold and some JHE era sessions please.

michiganman45, Fullbug, KipB and 6 others like this.
  5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I have a feeling this will turn into a wish list thread in spite of what @John Harchar states in his opening post.

I'll second Maui audio/video as a strong contender for 2019. As far as has been hinted at, this is already in the can. I suspect it was done in 2018 but got bumped for other releases. If they stick with what they said and focus primarily on live releases, the Stockholm '67 radio broadcast (I believe this is already in the can as well and got bumped like Maui), a more comprehensive Berkeley set (perhaps just the first set alone?) and L.A. Forum '69 would be contenders. The last two are complete speculation on my part. I picked Berkeley as there's enough strong material in the first show to warrant a stand alone release. L.A. '69 is just a guess. They've mined too much of San Diego '69 in the last several years to put out a stand alone (IMO) and L.A. '69 hasn't been touched in 28 years (making it a prime candidate for a re-issue/upgrade).

Things that probably won't happen:

Black Gold - They are either holding on to this for as long as possible as some kind of lost holy grail or they are hesistant to release it at all.
    RAH - Something would have to change drastically for this to come out in the near future. Either Goldstein would have to yeild (not likely) or something even more drastic woudl have to happen IMO. We're in perpetual stalemate mode here.

Randall's Island - Although EH likes to tie in video and audio releases together (see Miami '69 and Atlanta '70), they opted to use a lot (all?) of the well lit footage on the Hear My Train Blu Ray. That tells me they don't plan on re-visiting this, especially since the rest of the footage is likely very, very dark (as evidenced by SSB and Foxey Lady footage on You Tube).

Stockholm 09-Jan-69 second set. I still have no idea why this has never been touched by either administration, despite the fact that it's been bootlegged/circulated in high quality. Is it because it's mono? Is it because they don't want to pay Swedish TV for the reels? The latter seems unlikely given that they struck a deal for some of the 1st set audio and video for the old Experience DVD.

San Diego '69 - As I said earlier, would've been a prime candidate as a near full show hasn't been out there since Stages and that mix could be improved upon greatly. Inclusion of tracks from this gig on the re-configured In The West tells me that it isn't going to be issued as a stand alone anytime soon. Never say never, though.

Newport '69 - I don't think they'd touch this for anything other than a Dagger since it wasn't "professionally recorded" (EH's own statement as apparently the shows were recorded on the sly at the venue and weren't recorded professionally to mult-track tape).

I don't think there will be another stand alone studio release (not related to an existing album) or boxed set for the foreseeable future. I guess we'll see.

There's always a chance that something we were completely unaware of surfaces and appears like a bolt of lightning out of nowhere. I'd love to be surpised like that to be sure!

6. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Who knows? Hopefully not another VoN/PH&A/BSOTS type of haphazard, Frankenstein release. Obviously Black Gold would be ideal, but I am not sure if it makes sense as a standalone retail release. RAH is unlikely. At this point, I would be happy with Maui 1970 (never thought I would be campaigning for it). I guess I would not mind seeing some of the remaining live material, such as Berkeley (Set 1) and full-length releases of San Diego/LA Forum 1969 released. Wouldn't another Dagger release in the vein of "Hear My Music" or "Burning Desire" be awesome?

7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Yes, very :righton:!

vegafleet likes this.
  8. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

When The first set of the Band of Gypsys came out back in 2016, I thought maybe they were planning to release all four sets before the copyright expired in 2021. But since nothing else from those two nights has been announced two years later I suspect that might not be the case. I suppose much of that material has actually been released before so the copyright issues aren't as prevalent. Still it would be nice to see more from those sets, the first release is absolutely awesome and is one of my favourite Hendrix records I have, would love to have these complete. I'm still thinking we might see the 2nd set from Dec 31st 1969 before the end of next year though.

Beyond that Maui seems like a slam dunk, especially because EH really seems to want to get any footage out there they can. RAH is such a wishlist, but just seems to be something that just sadly there is no reason to have any expectations beyond the ground floor.

9. Black Gold - Like a dummy, I'm believing Janie that we'll see this by 2020, but since we're talking 2019...

There will only be one release in 2019, and that will be Maui '70 <insert cute hippie name here>…It's been bumped too much, and I suspect a pretty good cleanup of the show, considering today's technology. It may be a little light in the drum department, yet the wind issues can be fixed, and a nice stereo separation can be achieved.

I don't know if my crystal ball can see much further into the future...

As an aside, I've thought that the naming convention used, Machine Gun: The Fillmore East First Show, may portend a series of shows, e.g. Burning Desire: The Fillmore East Second Show, or some such. Perhaps that's mere wishful thinking, or reading into it too much; still, outside of EL 50 I still hold a modicum of faith in EH that they'll do right by us. Hell, they know we'll double-dip. Let's have it. :)

10. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Another Woodstock release, I presume.

11. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

They could always do a beat the boots sort of box set for Dagger with shows that would be too weak to stand on their own.

I'm hoping whatever is released includes a pair of dice that laugh when you roll 6 or 9.

ash1 and EVOLVIST like this.
  12. Jerry c.

Jerry c. Forum Resident

LA forum ‘69 is my preference

13. Brilliant! :D

BwanaBob likes this.
  14. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

As much as I love hearing Berkeley,Machine Gun,Miami,Purple & West Coast boxsets among others. I guess business is business,but for whatever reason they even threw us In The West? As for what is left to be reissued in a definitive form,I think they should put out EVERYTHING! Compile an Expanded Concerts live Experience Boxset-LA Forum`69,San Diego`69,Royal Albert Hall Audio(Just get the audio out in best sound FORGET about visulas!)Berkeley,NY Watchtower & Red House+Maui,even other previously released songs from Winterland and such just to make this a completely comrehensive audio collection available in one place for longtime fans as well as future generation discovering Hendrix`s musical genius.(they can also issue a highlights set)As outlandish as this may sound stranger things have gone on in the post Jimi universe!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  15. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

The Shokan House rehearsals perhaps, could definitely work as a Dagger release.

16. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

This . Come on pay the money to get the tapes Experience Hendrix. Or Sony.

17. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

My money is on another PPX release in the first quarter and Maui later in the year. Maybe some kind of Gypsy Sun & Rainbows release to commemorate the Woodstock band. But, that makes too much sense to happen

jhm likes this.
  18. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Why would anyone consider buying Hollywood Bowl again ? Easily the worst sounding Jimi Hendrix commercial recording I have ever heard.

I really hope RAH does come out in 2019

Experiencereunited likes this.
  19. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

i really need the original take of Somewhere. I'm getting sick of waiting. i know it exists as i have it on bootlegs already.

20. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I have a feeling this will turn into a whinging "what I don't have" thread!

Should have been the closing line of the OP rather than the opener.

Next year is likely to bring Maui and maybe a Dagger but the latter has more chance of being the Chalpin material rather than anything new. But you never know, EH may feel they "owe" the fans after the poor Ladyland box set and a load of mis-selling.

I do recall the Black Gold statement from a few years ago, released in the next decade or some such sentiment. Do we honestly believe this? If so, that's due some time soon then.

RAH, we can forget, it takes two to tango and while I feel EH are not the one holding this back I do think they have failed to as much as they could to secure its release in one format or another.

Steve626 likes this.
  21. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

is that Black gold tape actually going to be any good? itll just be like the hotel tapes on Electric ladyland

22. 905

905 Senior Member

My guess is Maui.

J_D__ likes this.
  23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Next up will be Maui by the look of it. Janie Hendrix mentioned that they were working on a "documentary" about it and I don't think any other clue has surfaced. Does this mean that they consider the sound quality to be too poor for a mainstream release? On the raw tapes, Mitch's drums are muffled and his studio overdubs (done for the Rainbow Bridge movie) sound like... studio drums. So it's problematic for them. Perhaps it'll be presented as a DVD-Blu-ray documentary with Documentary + All available footage section + an audio CD "best of the sets" thing - but not a stand-alone CD/vinyl. Speculation.

24. John Harchar

If it all sounds like Suddenly November Morning, that'd be ok for me.

The Ole' Rocker, nbadge, jhm and 3 others like this.
  25. John Harchar

I can see that, I actually wouldn't mind another PPX since there's still some listenable material to go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.