Hereditary - 2018 Horror Film

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Jan 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I was trying to think of what the filmmakers of The Witch could have done to damage that film the way the last scene of Hereditary does for me. I came up with...

...if the filmmakers had showed the goat’s mouth moving as it spoke to Anya Taylor-Joy. :D

2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The ending reminded me of some of the more nihilistic horror films of the 70s, although I think the ending was the biggest disappointment of the film. Lots of creepy buildup and atmosphere, but it kind of fizzled out at the very end. Sequel, anyone?;)

3. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

That always seems to be the problem, how to end it. The movie still spooked the **** out of me.

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  4. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

I am not sure why some disliked the ending (unless you all had it figured out before, I sure didn't)? But that's what pulled it all together for me.

5. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

same here

I would have done a couple of small things differently:

No need at all to see Mom's headless body levitate into the treehouse - added nothing, looked pretty damn silly, honestly

Once inside treehouse way too much exposition from Joan (was that her name?)

6. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I'm just throwing this out there, but for those who really disliked the ending, maybe you have to have a belief in some kind of evil spiritual force that could act on peoples actions and lives - particularly if those people are psychically damaged and driven to their breaking point.

As far as evil directly impacting people's lives, I don't know why almost no one has a problem with this idea in Rosemary's Baby or The Exorcist, but then has a problem with it here.

7. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I think the endings of both movies could have been done better - I don't dislike the Hereditary ending the way some do. I think the Witch shoud have ended

with the signing of the pact

8. mr. steak

mr. steak Forum Resident

Liked the film a lot. Started it too late to finish Saturday night so the wife and I took in the second half last night. We both had figured out what and where the plot was headed to but that did not diminish the last hour for us. It was watching a doomed family. Joannie casting the spell at the Peter during lunch was a high creep point to me.

Couple of things- Did not care for the supernatural antics of Toni Collette at the end. So out of nowhere , tone shifting and somewhat pointless.
    And..
    Was there a significance to the treehouse and why it ended there? Other than it being a good movie set piece.

9. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Hm, considering watching this. What say you?

(I skipped reading the thread on purpose).

10. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I didn't think it lived up to the hype. A few creepy sequences but most of it was nonsense.

11. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I haven’t seen it. The hype about Toni Collette deserving an Oscar (and the ending) reminded me of the hype behind Get Out; which left me wondering what the big deal was. I’m not trusting the popular opinion of these thinking man horror movies.

The most recent horror flick on my radar is Mandy with Nick Cage. I haven’t seen it yet, either, but I’m interested enough about it to have a dvd of it (from Netflix) laying around since January and will be watching it soon.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I thought it was excellent. You will probably know about 1/2 hour in if you want to stick with it or not. Do not go in expecting a traditional horror movie. It certainly has that as a stong element, but it's just as much about emotional pain, despair, family tragedy, mental illness, and inevitable doom. As much as I admire it, I'm not sure I want to see it again.

marblesmike and GodShifter like this.
  13. Great looking film but lousy narrative.

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Mandy? Hereditary?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  15. Mandy. Heredity had some narrative holes but I went with it. If you want to see Cage in a rage killing folks, well Mandy might be more you.

16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

About an hour in on “Hereditary”. It’s pretty good so far. “Mandy” looks kind of dumb.

wayneklein likes this.
  17. Nice Marmot

How’d you like Hereditary?

I like dumb.

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Mandy didn't work at all for me. Started okay, but too bonkers. I liked Hereditary much better, and have seen it a few times. I'm not even sure why these two are being compared.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    wayneklein likes this.
  19. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

“Hereditary” was pretty good. It had a very much doomy vibe to it, but I found the ending weak. Great eerie musical score.

Nice Marmot and GentleSenator like this.
  20. This is my take too, but I have less tolerance for horror movies that rely on the supernatural forces as a crutch. The Witch suffered from this too. How scary can a movie be when the foundation of the terror is just make believe?

GodShifter likes this.
  21. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i know you didn't read the thread, but i agree. i actually laughed at the end. which is disappointing because the first half of the film was quite disturbing and well done.

GodShifter likes this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

FTR, I was in no way insinuating you’re “dumb” or like “dumb”. That was purely my opinion of the trailer for “Mandy”. I have a high degree of respect for many members here and you’re definitely one of them (I wouldn’t have asked your opinion on the movie if I didn’t).

I’d love to go further with my review of “Hereditary”, but I think most people covered it pretty well here. Kind of the same vibe, mood wise, of “The Witch” and an ending which reminded me of “The Kill List”.

Again, I liked this pretty well. I agree with others that this isn’t so much horror as a psychological drama with macabre elements.

Nice Marmot likes this.
  23. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The ending was pretty bad IMO. Like you say the first half was interesting. Just took a bad turn at the end and ruined the whole thing for me to be honest.

GodShifter and GentleSenator like this.
  24. Nice Marmot

No need to explain. A critique of dumb, from you (and a few others) is a totally valid viewpoint between friends talking about movies. No different here than if we were having drinks in a bar. To be honest, the dvd has been sitting around for so long because Mrs. Marmot had been subjected to my movie picks for about a month. Dumb was her review of many of them, so I gave her a break and let her pick the movies. I’m feeling Mandy was going to get the same reaction from her.... now though, I’m tired of her chick flicks, so it’s going to be full on Cage ragin’ soon.

I really liked The Witch and Hereditary is near the bottom of my queue. I’ll bumb it up and give it a watch.... you piqued my interest in seeing it, again.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I enjoyed Hereditary ;however, I didn't enjoy it as much as The Witch. The ending disappointed me a little but it was still really good.

GodShifter and Nice Marmot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.