SH Spotlight Hey gang, guess what? Some of your most favorite albums in the world use tape dubs as masters..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jul 19, 2022.

1. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Solidarity in damage control? :hide:

2. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The "faders up" version of side two has the track transitions missing, I assume because they edited the transitions out to work on them separately.

Gratefully Deadicated likes this.
  3. supermd

supermd Senior Member

The takeaway is to just sit back and enjoy the music.

4. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

So based on Mr. Steve’s experience and assertion, Dark Side and other albums with cross fades between songs presumably are second generation masters, unless, per Mr. Jamie, the cross fade is spliced in.

However, one would think it fair to extrapolate that remixes, (stereo, mono & surround) at least those done since the advent of digital audio multitrack tech, being from original multitrack session tapes are superior sources.

No?

5. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

It's well documented that engineers working at EMI (later renamed Abbey Road) Studios were trained to splice in only the crossfaded sections and to save the splices of the clean beginning/ending versions. This is witnessed by the fact that we've gotten a clean beginning of A Day In The Life (I'm pretty sure Back In The USSR just fades out early on 1967-1970).

6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

To educate people.

7. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

One more reason for me to dislike them!

EG.

8. Dyland

Dyland Forum Resident

Stereo Blue Jay Way - which has the chorus played backwards in breaks in the verses. Gotta be a third tape.

9. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Was every analog compilation album constructed in this manner as well? Not with the overlapping tracks but copying the individual tracks from the original master to a dupe in the desired track listing of the compilation so just the dupe had to be run while cutting?

10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

As others have said… DSOTM… I’m now intrigued…

11. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Man, if people are upset about this, hearing about how Portishead recorded Dummy would make their heads explode.

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Mostly. Not all.

13. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Forum Resident

Thinking about all of those Miles of tapes...Teo had fun.

14. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

As long as the final result is good, I'm happy.

15. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Now you’ve got me considering trying to compare the sound quality of my Supremes 70s comps with some of the original pressings…I’m not sure I want to open this particular Pandora’s box.

16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Eh, try not to think about it.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The album In A Silent Way has loads of tape hiss, one theory being that it is from all of the work Teo did with the tapes.

Zappa's We're Only In It For The Money is another one that ended up a bit washed out sounding from all of the overdubs and edits.

18. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

19. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

The amount of editing on In a Silent Way has been a bit overestimated. Essentially Teo just repeated a couple of long sections. There isn't really any more editing on Silent Way than on Round About Midnight, for example. The thing about it that's "radical" is the way it uses the limited number of edits to create a structure where there wasn't one in the original performances.

He didn't start experimenting with crossfades and such until Jack Johnson, and even then it was in a modest way. Even on Bitches Brew it is just little loops and things that he was playing with, and the reverb chamber, no fades.

On the Corner is when Teo's editing and mixing practices got really complicated.

20. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Since we do have an "A Day In The Life" with a clean intro in stereo, can we assume that is from the master before being the duped master? Or was it remixed? I forget.

21. Dovetail7

Dovetail7 Pragmatic Purist

Do we really need education in minutiae here...put it in the equipment forum or somewhere it will receive the visibility it deserves?!?!?

22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Don’t blame me. Go after the OP, if you’ve a
    problem, dude!

savemenow and BeatleJWOL like this.
  23. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Are you really complaining about a thread that Steve himself started on his own forum?

24. jb welda

jb welda yellow eyed dog

Now didn't Geoff Emrick (sorry for spelling) reveal that most if not all Beatles (and by implication, most albums) albums, especially the domestic USA pressings, were pressed using far sub-master level master tapes that were sent to Capitol from EMI? So that would mean the dubbing of the master to sub master to sub sub master etc happened before the stamper was made, lowering the sound quality each time? So in reality by the time we hear it on a normal commercial LP, it has been duplicated and dubbed down to a level far removed from the actual master master tape. And I understand record companies used this technique pretty much universally, resulting in some pretty dire sounding final products, which you might not notice if not paying attention and/or never being familiar with the process that results in the records we listen to. Part of it presumably is to protect the true master from overuse, especially since that master will be hung together with splicing tape from the editing process, making it too fragile to truly use for a master, other than as a master to make a usable sub-master from, and then the sub-master is duplicated for actual use in either making other sub-masters for actually cutting the stampers, or in just making safety copies to prevent having to go back to the actual master-master.

So, in fact, we rarely if ever actually get a cut from the real master, just sub-masters, and those sub-masters can be many gens down from the actual master tapes.

Please correct me if I am wrong in thinking this.

jb

25. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

From what I found on Losin's site, Round About Midnight only has editing on "Ah Leu Cha" where they combined two takes. Miles Ahead was a very edit-heavy record, more so than a lot of the electric Miles records.

I agree though that there may be other reasons In A Silent Way has a lot of hiss.

Gratefully Deadicated and Maggie like this.