Hey Steve, why not a APO or AF series of DuNann eng. (Contemporary jazz) Recordings?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LeeS, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Gary, I'm aware of the Keepnews Collection work but are they doing all the OJC titles? Do you have a link?

2. blue

blue Mastering rules

This is what I'd say is the most important to reissue. The originals already sound really great. The music especially of the first two sets listed here is so good, that every jazz fan who hears it, must take it on the list.

• Shelly Manne Live at the Blackhawk 1-4
    • Hampton Hawes All night session Live 1-3
    • Shelly Manne at the Manne Hole live
    • Art Farmer Portrait of
    • Leroy Vinnegar Leroy walks again
    • Shelly Manne Sounds unheard of (just because of the sound, was already reissued by AP as single 33RPM LP, but Stan Ricker)

IMO Chad reissued a lot, that must sell much worse than especially these first two series would.

3. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

It's the one where the guys are on a Merry-Go-Round. They do the most playfully swinging version of "Volare" on it. I think they were having a ball playing that silly (but fun) toon!

West Coast Jazz still has a reputation for being weak, especially here in the east, despite that scene giving us such substantial talents as Chet Baker, Gerry Mulligan, Art Pepper, etc. etc.

Yup!

4. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Lee,

Just an example.

Explorations- Bill Evans
    Alone in San Francisco - Thelonious Monk
    Something Else!!! -Ornette Coleman (contemporary)
    Double Play -Andre Previn, Russ Freeman (vinyl)

Were OJC reissues this past year in 2011

Waltz For Debbie - Bill Evans

Was an OJC reissued in 2010

Here is a link:

Scroll down

There are additional roll-outs of OJC CD's in June

http://www2.concordmusicgroup.com/search/?Search=ojc&Search_Type=all&x=13&y=2

Also:

The Barney Kessell "Some Like It Hot" OJC CD with Art Pepper that Steve mentioned is being reissued on April 24th this month by another import label.

5. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

The Contemporary 4 CD box is a great place to start. The booklet is great and it is a great way to sample a lot of different Contemporary artists. It gave me a great introduction to Hampton Hawes and Barney Kessel.

6. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

He wasn't a Contemporary Artist but while we are on the subject of OJC releases, I have been really getting into the OJC reissues of Zoot Sims' Pablo recordings from the 70's. The ones with Jimmy Rowles on piano are fabulous. All of these are really cheap and sound great to my ears.

googlymoogly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.