"Hi-end" CD player - worth it?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Benzion, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Source, absolutely :)
    <------
    [​IMG]

F1nut and audiofool like this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well, that's why this thread is about a better CD player - I consider all the other links of the chain to be at the level I want - I've been upgrading them steadily. Incidentally, you also said "better amp" - you don't think the PrimaLuna is good enough?

3. Benzion

I don't do "computer audio", and putting vinyl on it is anathema to me.

4. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

The bottom line was whether or not you could expect a "WOW" from a hi-end CD player. Right? Unfortunately, this question cannot be answered in a vacuum. If you want to be told that the Audio Research Ref CD9 at over $10,000 will sound the same as a $1,000 Oppo or Sony in any system because digital is digital, then you'll find plenty of company. If you aren't looking for that unfortunate narrative, then we'd move on and discuss value. Very few will get value from this specific unit. It's pricey and can't spin SACDs. There is much competition at that price point. That said, for a select few, this unit makes perfect sense. Not for me. Not for you.

Would the CD9 deliver a "WOW" in your system? I think so, but it wouldn't make sense to allocate $10,000 to it unless you were trading up to Cary Audio's flagship pre-amp (for example). And that's not your goal with this system. It would nearly certainly "WOW" in my system, but it still wouldn't make sense for me. I have several hundred SACDs and I'd be more interested in a FPGA design at that price point.

"Good enough" is relative, though, isn't it? A Lamm L2.1 Reference wouldn't make sense in my current system (or yours), but I'd wager that the sound quality will be significantly better.

5. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Exactly. A system with a mediocre source will never sound truly great.

Dave, F1nut and jh901 like this.
  6. Benzion

I think you're missing the point. My "WOW" expectation concerned two specific units - a proposed Primare CD32 vs the existing Onkyo C-7030. I'm not interested in the AR Ref CD9, or the Lamm amp, for that matter. My system consists of fairly well-balanced components, price/performance wise, and that's where I want to stay. So you quoting me AR Ref and Lamm is akin to mentioning a Bentley in a Honda vs Volkswagen discussion.

And there's nothing relative in my question regarding the PrimaLuna amp, either - I believe it is quite good, given the level of the rest of the gear in my system. I'm not making hypothetical comparisons with the stratospheric systems you read about in the Absolute Sound or see at the Munich Hi-Fi.

7. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

There are more options than those two units, but fair enough. Generally speaking, I'd suggest that, if compared to a random $100 CD player, that a hi-fi unit will sound appreciably better. I believe that a "WOW" will depend on expectations. Some might say that, "sure, it was better, but not $1,000 better!". Others will be over the moon at the perceived value.

I would personally go for a used, or maybe even a "certified pre-owned", older hi-end player which has had the laser assembly replaced, etc. This is not the right decision for everyone.

8. Benzion

Well, one of those two units is already there - in my system. As to other options - I agree, I've had rotten luck with both my attempts to buy the Primare: one got lost by FedEx, the other's seller is too scared to take a credit card, even though it's a bona fide audio dealer. So I will simply have to look for other options. Right now I'm leaning towards a Sparkler.

9. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

For the DAC Audio Note 0.1x is $1337 - or you could get an AN Kits from ANKits.

Transports are out there - AN's CDT Two on the second hand market might be affordable and is both a top loader and uses the Philips Pro 2 mechanism.
    [​IMG]

CEC makes a belt drive top loader for $2500. But tough to find. http://www.cec-web.co.jp/service/download/document/catalog/TL5_ENG_Catalog_w.pdf

Pro Ject sells a top loader for ~$1k

[​IMG]

Opera Consonance Droplet is a beast and uses the Philips Pro 2 mechanism (in some not all of them as it was an optional extra). ~$2500

[​IMG]

And the new Audio Note CD Two/II

[​IMG]

10. Benzion

Audio Note units are certainly good, but too huge for my rack. The Pro-Ject unit crams too many features into that small box, and is geared towards use with their own DAC, the Opera need not apply - no offense.

I like the "less is more" philosophy, so leaning towards this:

Sparkler Audio S507

11. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

Vinyl drop never sound like when i rip cd:D

12. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Have you considered Esoteric?

Dave likes this.
  13. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I've got a floor model Droplet sitting in a box in my garage. Used less than 10 hours. Could be for sale. :D

14. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I like that. I'd get it.

15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Late to your thread but the answer in these digital source quality questions usually boils down to the quality of the analog amplification section within the unit and can make for an upgrade in nearly any decent surrounding system.
    Assuming a decent DAC as most usually do, the analog section is very critical for producing clean dynamic power, much similar to the way phono preamps provide the spark for a great sounding analog system.
    Two examples I live with include the Marantz SA8005 SACD player and Sony HAPZ-1ES digital player. Each have exceptional analog sections with large beefy transformers and sound clear, smooth and highly energetic and powerful. They gave an instant jolt compared to your basic very good CD or digital source and are very much worth the money. The effects of a great analog section in a Disc player, DAC or Media player will be obvious in all but the very basic sub entry level system.

16. Benzion

I probably will. Made arrangements to go to Jersey to listen to its bigger brother.

inperson and c-eling like this.
  17. Benzion

No offense meant, just quoting something I've read and agree with - Esoteric is a bubble, an artificial brand created and kept alive mostly for the US market, the way Lexus was. I'm sure it's good, but no - I haven't considered it, and won't, just like I'll never consider Lexus.

18. Benzion

The joke is lost on me - I have no idea what a "Droplet" is.

19. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Nice!
    I see it's using that old TDA 1543 chip :)

20. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I want this. How can I buy one?

"Once you listen to the sound quality of current-mode that has reached the area where you are awake, you will not forget."

No joke, I need this on my desk.

SandAndGlass, somnar and inperson like this.
  21. inperson

inperson Senior Member

The Droplet is the name of the Consonance CD player.

22. Benzion

There's a dealer in NJ:

CONTACT

There's also one in Canada:

VKMusic.ca Home page

23. Benzion

Oh, it's in your garage boxed up, and you want me to put in my system, eh? :waiting:

Bob_in_OKC and inperson like this.
  24. Benzion

Oldies are often goodies.

c-eling and inperson like this.
  25. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Steve, what is the "reference" DAC in your primary stereo?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.