Hi-MD from Nippon, I'm tempted

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Rachael Bee, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca Thread Starter

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Very nice! I'd definitely be on this if it were a US release and if it were cheaper. I can't see dropping $400 on a non-ES deck, even if it is Hi-MD. My other concern is that if something goes wrong with it, I'm probably not going to be able to get it serviced in the US. Finally, in perusing the link below, I don't feel 100% safe plugging a 100-volt unit into my US outlet.

http://www.minidisco.com/japanese-product-info.html

All of this said, it looks like a great deck. If only Sony would release it in the US.

3. Rachael Bee

Keith, I'm proably gonna buy one. The only comp is getting a paltry 480. I have 100 volt outlets already. I've gone Nipponese before. I had hoped somebody else 'round here had played with one of these puppies or knew more about the Hi-MD functions...

4. Arto Suomi

Arto Suomi Senior Member

That deck supports NetMD, but not Hi-MD. There aren't any Hi-MD decks as far as I know, only portable recorders. Hopefully this will change in the future, but Sony seems to be targeting MDs for the portable market only nowadays...

All Hi-MD devices are also NetMD devices, but all NetMDs are not Hi-MDs. With basic NetMD (like that deck) you can use high speed downloading from PC. What Hi-MD adds to this is new high-density discs and and a new ATRAC3+ codec (plus possibility to use uncompressed 44.1 PCM audio)

5. KeithH

Arto, thanks for pointing that out. Frankly, I only looked at the picture and the price. :o

To Sony, if you are reading this: Please make a Hi-MD deck! I will buy one! :D

6. Rachael Bee

Thanks for catching my oversight (brain-fart), Arto! Minidisco does have some of those Hi-MD portables. I'm still pondering actually buying one. I really don't care about Net-MD. Hi-MD might be intresting to dabble with... My choices for a new MD deck are so few. So far it's the 480 or 780.

7. KeithH

I'd be half-tempted to connect a portable Hi-MD player to my home systems. However, I'm afraid that the sound would be really poor. I'm highly skeptical about these portables' ability to produce quality sound in the home. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.