Hidden Tracks (!!! SPOILER ALERT !!!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KurtNevermind, Mar 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desolation Row

Desolation Row Forum Resident

Not mentioned in the Wiki page or the two threads here are two hidden Red House Painters tracks: "Brockwell Reprise" on Ocean Beach and the instrumental version of "Million + 8 Things" on the Shock Me EP. The latter is one of my favorite RHP songs. It's gorgeous.

2. I don’t have a problem with them. They’re for the faithful. Pregap tracks, on the other hand, I hate. Some players won’t play them. If you don’t turn off the CD player after the last song, you get a treat.

3. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I believe the story that's read out at the end was also from Maynard's then-landlord who used to leave long, rambling, answering-machine messages. Same guy they sampled on "Message From Harry Manback" on the next album.

I really wish Tool could have done something with Bill Hicks before he passed. They were friendly and Hicks was a fan, and they of him.

4. KurtNevermind

KurtNevermind Kurt Cobain's greatest fan Thread Starter

Ah, you got me a bit wrong, with 'masters of hidden tracks' I meant that Nirvana's hidden tracks are the most hidden ones! And as I stated before, there are a few CD versions of "In Utero" that have "Gallons" but don't list the jam anywhere

5. Carl Steward

Carl Steward Forum Resident

Wasted Kisses by Prince and New Power Generation on 1998's Newpowersoul -- as the 49th track following 38 tracks of dead air -- is probably the best hidden track I've EVER heard.

D.B. and Hep Alien like this.
  6. hlennarz

hlennarz Forum Resident

Gigi D'Agostino - Musikakeparla
    from the mixed CD "Il Grande Viaggio Di Gigi D'Agostino" has an outtake of the vocal recording for the song "Un Giorno Credi" at the end of it.

c-eling likes this.
  7. Francophile50

Francophile50 The man with the satisfied ear.

I know there already was a thread on this but it's closed. I was just listening to the Barenaked Ladies concert CD Rock Spectacle. After the last song a minute of silence passes before the band comes back on and tells a couple independent jokes. Then they start to play music and rap and that's the end. Maybe this is just for their fans it didn't really add anything to the album.

Just wondering what other types of bonuses that aren't listed are on CDs or albums that you know of.

8. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I suspect Wikipedia has a good list. I do know they have a list of tracks secluded at the front of the disc, you have to know to cue to the beginning, and hit reverse to get to them.

9. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Seems weird that some cds can't fit the whole album and others can have 20 min. of silence until the hidden track.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Do you suppose it might have something to do with the fact that not all albums last for the exact same amount of time?

11. That might have something to,do with the running time of the album. Say, 40 minutes vs. 80 minutes. The length of a CD changed in the early 90’s from 73 or so minutes to 79 and now 80 (thought some players can’t play them if they are 80 or more). Hence, the editing of some albums.

Hep Alien and fretter like this.
  12. I do think that having 20 minutes of silence is stupid,though.

13. Ted Sallis

Ted Sallis Music Collector Extraordinaire

Off the top of my head:

Styx - The Serpent Is Rising (1973): "Plexiglas Toilet" - hidden track after "As Bad as This" on side one.
    Aerosmith - Live! Bootleg (1978): "Draw the Line" at the end of the "Mother Popcorn" track.
    Black Sabbath - Sabotage (1975): "Blow on a Jug" follows on from "The Writ," at a much lower volume.

Ted

14. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

This was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. I remember hearing the song on the radio and then being puzzled because I didn't see it on their new album.

mschrist and wayneklein like this.
  15. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

My all-time favorite hidden track is on the last disc of Aerosmith's box set Pandora's Box from the early '90s. After the last listed track finished, I got up to take the disc out and realized just in time that the counter was still going. So I waited, and eventually a montage of voices said, "There now. Ain't you glad you stayed? Let's play it again" and then the hidden track kicked in.

Hep Alien likes this.
  16. Dillydipper

From a listener's perspective, yes of course. From an artists' perspective, here was a way to share more music with fans than was a part of the original plan for the release.
    Either take it or leave it...or, hey, you get twenty minutes to get up, walk over and take the disc out. Sounds like a gift horse awaiting a look at its' mouth.

17. Dillydipper

My only thought was, "Hey, why'd they waste all that attitude and snarl, when they could have started off with this nice head-bopper, and drawn some more fans in..."

18. ...and add in the fact that the entire song doesn’t say the title in it anywhere.

"Train in Vain" was the last song we finished after the artwork went to the printer. A couple of Clash websites describe it as a hidden track, but it wasn't intended to be hidden. The sleeve was already printed before we tacked the song on the end of the master tape.[3]-Bill Price.

"Train in Vain" was added after the deal for the band to write a song for an NME flexi fell through.

Ironic. It wasn’t intended to be one but became one anyway...

mschrist likes this.
  19. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

I had never heard the story of how/why that happened, so thanks!

20. Oh I know. As a dedicated fan if it keeps playing, I let it play but it also means many folks won’t discover it. John Hiatt’s “Mile High” as an example. A fan thought that the silence and train noises were leading nowhere and didn’t stick around for the pay off. While as an artist they can do what they want, they need to also play to their audience as well. While it can be seen as a nice coda, it’s one that some fans never discover.

21. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

I was so glad that they added this to the recent vinyl version too. Love that tune.

Jayseph likes this.
  22. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Alanis Morissette has TWO secret tracks tagged on to the end of the Jagged Little Pill CD. The first, an uncredited reprise of 'You Outta Know' and then a few minutes silence before....

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Yep -- my cassette (bought probably in late 1991, possibly early in 1992) hasn't got it.

24. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

Paul Westerberg’s Stereo had an unlisted cover of Flesh For Lulu’s “Postcards From Paradise” after the last listed track.

Or was that on Mono?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.