Higher End (priced) Audio, Who’s Buying It?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, May 4, 2022.

1. Tony C.

Tony C. Forum Resident

Yes, but a high percentage of such people aren't building the slightest amount of context. Most of them likely drive cars that cost anywhere from $30-75k, while I happily drive a 10 year old, low-mileage Audi (which I purchased for ~$10k), and prefer to spend some of the savings on stereo components.

jhm, dom91932, Satrus and 6 others like this.
  2. Mac 'n cheese

Mac 'n cheese Active Member

Agree, and this applies to a lot of peoples 'hobbies'. I know a guy who has more invested in guns that I have in my audio system. I think he's a half-bubble off center, and I'm sure he feels the same about me.

Also, agree with Oddiofyl, no apologies from my end, I've owned a ton of equipment over the years, some pretty cheesy and I was in my late 60's before I finally could complete my current and final version. Worked my tail off too, wasn't given to me!

Appreciate all on this board!

3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

Great system. Sounds like you live in a real nice place. Enjoy.

Mac 'n cheese likes this.
  4. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I have often said I have driven a lot of turds to get to where I am in audio today !!!

That’s not entirely true now, the last 15 years I have not only been lucky to have a company car, but they also pay for insurance, gas, repairs…. I have no phone bill.

it allows me to save a lot of money

timind, Tony C. and Khorn like this.
  5. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

I've had high end systems of one sort or another since the mid-'70s. I wasn't wealthy when I owned the first such system-- I was 20 years old-- and though I made money as a lawyer in NYC, I wasn't in the uber wealthy category- just another working stiff. In fact, among the extremely wealthy people I know, very few are into hi-fi.
    The people who are spending on top tier gear are, in my experience, hobbyists who prioritize these expenditures over others- like boats, enthusiast cars, second homes or other expensive pursuits. The uber stuff- 1/2 million dollar turntables, multi-million dollar systems, are far from common and aren't usually within the ken of even the most ardent hobbyists. I think you guys are tilting at windmills. Enjoy what you have; if you are young and have a career ahead of you that will generate money, you can aspire to whatever you want.
    I tell this story periodically: when I was young, I remember reading Dean Batchelor's test drive of the then new Ferrari Daytona coupe in Road & Track. That article was published when I was around 15 years old.
    Many years later, I was able to buy a new 12 cylinder front engine "barchetta," the first such open top car Ferrari had made since the Daytona. And it appeared in the feature article of R&T some thirty years later.
    Nothing wrong with aspirations; someone I knew as a kid once said to me "my biggest mistake was not setting my sights higher." It's not just about the money.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
  6. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

This is the type of behavior I associate with politicians that rant about rich people, you know.....anyone that makes more than they do. It doesn't belong here.

My only question about the super high end buyers is when they have the time to listen. Unless retired, family and work responsibilities cut into listening time and no amount of money buys more time in the day (unless they're fudging their time reports).

Khorn likes this.
  7. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

It's not just on forums or audio read any of the comments in a newspaper restaurant review or wine column when they are reviewing something expensive. Half the comments are always of the "how dare you people are starving" nature.

8. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Good point it seemed like the Khorn thread generator was offline for a while. :D

WvL, bever70, macster and 2 others like this.
  9. FuzzyNightmares

FuzzyNightmares Forum Resident

I got a nice taste of this the other day while driving in Portland. I was stopped at a stop sign waiting for traffic to clear to proceed across the road, no lights for either direction of traffic. I was waiting for some time, not creeping out or anything, and then some pedestrians were crossing in the same direction I was crossing, perfect! With pedestrians in the road, traffic has to stop, and I can safely cross the intersection... But no! Heaven forbid I'm driving a nicer vehicle. A lady on the street I was trying to cross started honking at me and aggressively moving her car forward and breaking like she was going to 1. run over the pedestrians, and 2. try to keep me from crossing the road, and to top it off she was making the rubbing your fingers together signal for money like I was acting entitled and forcing her to stop because I was in a more expensive car (not a G-Wagon or supercar or anything mind you.) I just stopped and pointed at all the pedestrians in the road and put my hands up, and she kept doing her little charade, so I crossed the street and moved on. People are weird.

labreahouse, timind and Khorn like this.
  10. Oddiofyl

Oddiofyl Forum Resident

I'm not buying mega $$$ gear but no one in my circle would ever spend $5000 on speakers or an amp. Honestly they don't need to know what it costs and don't care. I view it as spending what I'd spend on a vacation to have long term enjoyment out of the thing I like the most , music.

I have a car sitting in the garage that I only put 1000 miles or so on a year for a number or reasons. Its a shame I don't drive it more, but I listen to my system every day so that's money well spent. If I had to give up one, the decision would be easy.

Satrus, Phabes, Tlay and 2 others like this.
  11. FuzzyNightmares

Just like my wife doesn’t need to know how much these how quality pressings cost :whistle:

trd, Khorn and Oddiofyl like this.
  12. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

I can confirm they cost $15

Kristofa, trd, DrZhivago and 3 others like this.
  13. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

Khorn likes this.
  14. Stereosound

15. NYC-Blotto

NYC-Blotto Forum Resident

I dunno man . . in 1979 I was doing well and thought I would be a big shot and buy a Porsche (living in NYC of all places). In 79 NYC was pothole city. You needed a Jeep not a Porsche, but really no one 'needed' a car if you lived and worked in the city as I did . . I remember picking up my girlfriend on Madison Avenue one summer day . . I looked over and saw my reflection in a store front sitting in the stupid Porsche and said to myself . . "you a**hole, who are you trying to impress?". Just because people can buy expensive things doesn't impress me. Especially if they are tryin to show off with the crap or talk about it all the time. I'll take inner peace and serenity over 'things' any day . . . . after growing up. As I have said before, people think they own the 'things' but many times the 'things' own them. For some it's about trying to fill an infinite hole that can never be filled with finite things. It will never happen until people do the inside job on themselves. All the 'things' are just a diversion for many so they can avoid doing the inner work. I've had all the right 'so called' stuff and been miserable inside . . and have owned very little and been happy as sht. Just my two cents on all this expensive crp.

jhm, MacMan2007, kellys and 5 others like this.
  16. Stereosound

Khorn likes this.
  17. Stereosound

Khorn likes this.
  18. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Yeah, I didn't take most of those cars into the city. In terms of the emptiness of possessions or possessions owning you, I understand that. It's nice to have the experience, though. Cars, audio, whatever floats your boat. (Never did boats). I like stuff that makes me think.
    But, when I was doing cars, it was a way to escape. I'd leave on a late winter morning and call my wife from the Carolinas; or send a car to the West Coast to drive Highway 1 off season, or drive in Sicily. It was as all consuming passion, as much as this one can be-- not just the hardware, but the know-how (driving skill, not wrench turning). And the history. I tend to deep dive into whatever interests me.
    Now, I don't drive much at all. Still have a license.
    And that was my point--that, it is another pursuit in which others may not venture or venture as deeply. I learned a lot, met a lot of people and did some interesting things.
    I can tell you hi-fi is way cheaper than collecting Ferraris. :)

bever70 and Khorn like this.
  19. Stereosound

jfeldt and Khorn like this.
  20. Stereosound

Even the expensive stuff becomes cheaper once it’s used. However repair costs do not usually.

MGW and Khorn like this.
  21. AudioAddict

AudioAddict Forum Resident

As someone who owns way too many things and moves back and forth between 2 homes, have decided that the best way for me to control the fearful 'thing' overreach is 1) only buy what you actually use and 2) only keep what you can maintain yourself. If it isn't used, it's gone. If I can't maintain it, it's gone. Makes for full garages and happy friends who benefit. Does make you learn a lot to fix things you feel are important.

bever70, Khorn and Oddiofyl like this.
  22. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

You didn't tell her that she was Number 1?

FuzzyNightmares and Khorn like this.
  23. FuzzyNightmares

Nah I left that behavior back in Boston, too many folks here have “Ore-GUNian” stickers in the shape of AR-15’s…

24. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

Tell that to the people who sold used Oppos 205 after wearing them out. I am not looking for an argument, I just want to point out that a long list could be made of many pieces of equipment that have appreciated to surprising levels.

Khorn likes this.
  25. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I am sure if I had more money, I'd probably spend more on hifi gear. My mental barrier would still be, 25k speakers paired with 10-15 k$# amp(s) plus another $10k for analog/digital source, and $3k for cabling. So I'd spend around $50k. Thats it. :)

Khorn likes this.