Hired guns...the best session musicians?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SpiderJohn, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Duane Allman...

[​IMG]

Another Steve, ARK and danasgoodstuff like this.
  2. rodentdog

rodentdog Senior Member

Paul Jackson, Jr.

3. Swedgen

Swedgen Forum Resident

It was one of his amazing attributes, not just how good of a player he was, but that he always sounded like a regular member of whoever he was sitting in with. He never once stood out or sounded like a hired hand, he just sounded like the Stones' piano player, or the Kinks', or whoever.

danasgoodstuff likes this.
  4. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

That's the job, but yes Nicky did that exceptionally well - I can tell him from Ian Stewart, but that's because Stu did one thing (really well, but just one thing).

Swedgen likes this.
  5. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Duane added a lot to a lot of records, but if I had been in a position to hire session players back then I would've only brought him in if Duane Allman was specifically what I wanted, otherwise I would've gone with Muscle Shoals regulars Jimmy Johnson, Joe South, or Eddie Hinton. And with Hinton and South you got songwriting too.

Valkenburg likes this.
  6. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Nice list! You got Abe Laboriel in the Bass section but I know you meant Drums. :agree:

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  7. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

Japanese guitarists Ryo Kawasaki and Kazumi Watanabe both hired out for a good number of notable projects more so by a long shot even with there pretty lengthy solo projects.

8. 51IS

51IS Forum Resident

when I saw the name Ryo Kawasaki I thought of the software Kawasaki Synthesizer that we used to have for our Commodore 64. Since I’m not a musician I used to use it to make weird backgrounds for the sound collage tapes I used to like to make. Great fun! I checked, it is the same guy, awesome memories - Ryo Kawasaki, Jazz Fusion Guitarist and Guitar Synth Inventor, Dies at 73 – Billboard

Screen shot! https://ia803400.us.archive.org/18/...izer_Demo_1984_Ryo_Kawasaki/screenshot_19.png

Last edited: Dec 13, 2022
  9. ChefBrunch

ChefBrunch Forum Resident

Ryo Kawasaki should get more recognition then he does. Simply a guitar wizard.

51IS likes this.
  10. RVA_101

RVA_101 Hoops McCann

I notice people appear to be omitting jazz musicians (since everyone pretty much would swap places and be a session player for someone else on their album), so I've included them with an asterisk (*) to differentiate them between the rock/R&B/etc session players:

Bass - James Jamerson, Chuck Rainey, Paul Chambers*
    Drums - Tony Williams*, Tony Thompson, Jeff Porcaro
    Guitar - Larry Carlton, Steve Khan
    Keyboards - Greg Phillingaines, McCoy Tyner*, Nicky Hopkins, Tommy Flanagan*

11. keys74

keys74 Forum Resident

Fact check. Abe Laboriel is a bass player. His son is the drummer.

AudiophilePhil and 2141 like this.
  12. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Didn't know that! I stand corrected. Thanks. :winkgrin:

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  13. versionsound

versionsound The six strings that drew blood

Billy Strange
    Mickey Baker

14. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

Huge, HUGE HUGE fan of Landau. His live stuff with Toss Panos on drums is other-worldly. Many years ago, I was digging thru the cutout CDs at Rasputin's and grabbed Live 2000, not knowing what it was. All I knew was it was 50 cents and looked interesting. Got it home and was gobsmacked at the incredible dynamics of this trio (Jimmy Johnson on bass). Michael Landau changed my life, seriously.

Fusionfan likes this.
  15. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

Bass: James Jamerson. Enough said.

16. Anakin Wilbury

Anakin Wilbury Forum Resident

Red Rhodes - Pedal Steel Guitar

17. jwis206

jwis206 Senior Member

18. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Yes, generally if you are a good enough jazz musician to be successful, you can play with any other jazz artist.

A few jazz players transitioned into pop session work, like Victor Feldman and Wilton Felder (mentioned earlier). Jimmy Rowles was another example, a jazz pianist who was also credited for keyboards on Fifth Dimension records. More recently Matt Rollings started as a jazz pianist but went into Nashville country sessions.

chrisblower likes this.
  19. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

I am actually referring to the Sr., his dad, who is a famous jazz bass player. The Sr. is actually more famous than junior as a session player.

2141 likes this.
  20. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Andy White

21. keys74

keys74 Forum Resident

Ok.

2141 and AudiophilePhil like this.
  22. Bucks

Bucks Forum Resident

Vinnie Colaiuta.

23. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

I don't know if Phil Collins would qualify as session drummer, or rather as a guest star. In any case he also played on QE2 by Mike Oldfield.
    In the same way you can find Peter Gabriel playing flute on Mona Bone Jakon by Cat Stevens, and likely on other records, but I would not consider him as session player.

24. 420JJJazz666

420JJJazz666 Hasta Siempre, Comandante

Not sure if he's been mentioned, but Billy Higgins in the drum chair is usually a sign of quality!

25. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

My vote would go to Chris Spedding.