Homo Erraticus – The New Studio Album from Jethro Tull’s Ian Anderson To be released in April 2014

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Nov 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

I hate to go against the grain here because I was really hoping to love this album, but I was not that impressed on first listen. It definitely sounds more like a Tull album than an Ian Anderson solo album, but the Tull album it reminds me most of is J-tull.com and that is by no means a compliment. This is more of a straight ahead, hard rocking approach that may appeal to many, but to me most of the songs sound too similar with none except maybe the first and last tracks standing out. I far prefer The Secret Language of Birds and Rupi's Dance, which had more of an acoustic approach that is sorely lacking here.

I'm hoping a few repeat listenings will change my mind... and I bought the deluxe edition, so I still need to try out the hotel demos disc.

tedhead and stonedhenge like this.
  2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Does anyone know how the Mastered for iTunes version sounds compared to the regular release?

3. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Bought the CD/DVD pack at Barnes and Noble for $19.99 today....giving it a second spin...I think I like it

4. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident

What really gets me is The Engineer. I just can't believe how brilliant that song is, both musically and lyrically. One of the very best things IA has ever done.

There's lots of other great stuff on the album as well. It's a winner.

FritzL, ssmith3046 and Headfone like this.
  5. I haven't heard the album yet, but there is one thing I am sure I really love about it: the cover! Fearsome, apocalyptic and gorgeous!!

I am glad IA stopped using the work of whoever had been on those semi-tacky artwork jobs for ages (Tull and Anderson solo) - I think it was his brother-in-law or cousin, am not sure... I have an old Martin Barre interview somewhere where even he says he was getting tired of it!

6. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

I've never been more divided over a Tull/Anderson album. Flip a coin from day to day. Excellent concept, excellent music, I'm not totally clicking with the sung lyrics. I've got a feeling that I won't be reaching for this as much as APP & Chateau for (a concept) example.

....."It's the browning of the green: we'll be tight as canned sardine."
    this has become a major ear worm for me... I can't get it out!

tedhead likes this.
  7. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

After listening to HE a few times, I am disappointed as no songs really stand out. Musicianship is excellent but there is a certain homogeneity to the songs and the lyrics. I prefer TAAB2 even with its obvious flaw of the spoken passages, which I always skip. Nor do I find a strong sequence like the first three songs on TAAB2, and, for me, there is no song on HE with the power of "Banker Bets." I plan to listen a few more times, but, having read some of the reviews here and on line before I bought the CD, I am surprised at how underwhelmed I am.

8. tootull

I'm usually a lyrics freak, my favourite track this time is the instrumental Tripudium Ad Bellum. World Wars caught in a perfect musical interpretation. Ian Anderson calls it "Jethro does Jazz".

Nothing moves me here as much as "Wootton Bassett Town" and nothing pleases me as much as "Kismet in Suburbia" from TAAB2.

9. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

I might add I saw the TAAB/TAAB2 tour and I loved the second set. Hard for HE to compete with that memory. (I won't even mention a comparison with the first set!)

10. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

My sentiments exactly... I finally got around to the hotel demo tracks and didn't really care for them either (was hoping a more acoustic approach would make the whole thing more appealing to me, but it didn't).

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

listening now

12. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

A lot of complaints about this one. Sounds good to me. So what if you like other albums better? This ain't them. The guy's a million years old and still cranking out this style of music. People should appreciate it more. In 10 years, we won't have the luxury of bitching about albums like this. Personally, I think it's great.

Cronverc likes this.
  13. Mij Retrac

Mij Retrac Forum Resident

I have listened to it a couple of times and overall I like it but I just am not a big fan of the way it is sung IMO. I feel there is no edge in his voice. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with his age. I would love to hear what a young Ian would have done with this material.

14. Say

Say Forum Resident

Exactly. Even when the band plays well Ian's voice is hard to take. He is a shadow of his former self when it comes to singing.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I can't say I connected with the music on first listen.

For the moment I prefer TAAB2. Will have to listen more.

16. Super_Slick

Super_Slick Forum Resident

I went to see this show last night.

Ian seemed to struggle with the vocals throughout but that is a given in recent years. It's the quality of the material being performed which draws me to the gigs.

The show was split in two with an interval. First half was HE, the second half was 'Best of Jethro Tull'. On the HE stuff the band at times overpowered Ian's vocal. Whereas during the second half Ryan O'Donnell had a LOT of lead vocal whilst Ian played flute and guitar.

Say likes this.
  17. tootull

Salisbury -
    Sadly there was a moment of unwelcome drama during Aqualung when an audience member, clearly unhappy with poor old Ryan singing some of that song, stormed down to the stage, tore his ticket into little pieces, threw it over Ryan & then left the hall. Mmmm, unacceptable behaviour from a Tull fan (assuming he was) methinks not to mention being utterly misguided. Ian needs to reduce his vocal burden & it was a brave & sensible move on his part to bring in Ryan - I've yet to hear anyone disagree with Ryan's presence in the band & personally I think he adds a subtly quirky element to the show which works well. So, if you're reading this Ryan - ignore what happened & carry on doing a great job. And if whoever stormed out is reading this just 2 words - grow up!

Thanks to sealion at the Jethro Tull Forum
    Read more: http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/48365/thread

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    Plan9, Say, Pete Puma and 1 other person like this.
  18. tootull

Published on May 2, 2014
    Ian Anderson Jethro Tull Living In The Past live Liverpool Philharmonic Hall 2nd May 2014

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Same thing I notice with a few of the other aging rockers. I like the album though.

20. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

so you are paying premium prices to watch Ian move around the stage with a cover band...great just great, I would have done the same thing, time to hang up the live performances

Carserguev likes this.
  21. Yes it is time for you to hang up attending live performances from bands that include a key member who has aged, lost must of his voice, and has the audacity to hire someone to help on vocals.

RubenH likes this.
  22. Yes, I have suggested he'd do that AGES ago, in some letters to "A New Day" (the Jethro Tull mag from England). IA is still a great multi-instrumentist and stage performer, so why not? I have not heard the results myself yet though. Just commenting on the principle.

Pete Puma likes this.
  23. tootull

Tour: Jethro Tull’s IAN ANDERSON performs new album ‘Homo Erraticus’ plus The Best of Tull
    Published on May 2, 2014

Ian Anderson Jethro Tull Sweet Dream live in Liverpool Philharmonic Hall 2nd May 2014

ParloFax likes this.
  24. tootull

Ian Anderson Jethro Tull Songs From The Wood live in Liverpool Philharmonic Hall 2nd May 2014

ParloFax likes this.
  25. Peter M

Peter M Forum Resident

I don't agree with the premise that there is something inherently wrong or valueless to IA performing, for example, Thick As A Brick with this band rather than the original members of Jethro Tull. I saw the TTAB tour last year and it was superb. I had never heard the whole album live, and I was glad to have the chance to hear it. (Every symphony in the world is a cover band.) What matters is the quality of the performance.

Pete Puma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.