Hope for the future, a.k.a. the first record you bought with your own money

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MadMelMon, Nov 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I love the OP's witnessing that and wish I'd seen it as well, because it was indeed a privilege :righton:

I'm always amazed when I see young kids in used record stores--and very thankful for it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  2. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

3. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I think I hate you. :)

Aftermath and papatwo like this.
  4. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

I joined the Record Club of America and got three albums for $1.

Elton John - Elton John
    Three Dog Night - Captured Live at the Forum
    The Osmonds - Phase III

5. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

*starts mentally singing Half Man half Biscuit's - Irk The Purists*
    Grew up with vinyl - earliest (vinyl) memory is being given a childrens record player that only played 7" + two singles/eps (one had a version of I'm only A Poor Little Sparrow, I have no idea what the other was except it was spoken word - pos religious - & had a cover that looked deadly serious & old like one of those records of politician's speeches or a famous preacher - just remember being confused/weirded out by it, not having any reference points and not knowing knowing who the man was but feeling like he must be somebody important that I should've known. Don't remember what happened to it but I didn't have access to any other records so either got bored or it broke & it got quickly binned or given away along with the records. Do remember putting one of the tiny lying down cows from my farmyard set on it and enjoying watching it going round and round.)

Slightly later, living with my grandparents, I got to experience/have access to their record collection (classical, Jim Reeves, Male Voice Choirs, tiny bit of Cliff, Kenneth McKellar, Sound of Music/Mary Poppins soundtrack..) Their record player & speakers came from Boots (own brand), found the booklet for it a lot later and couldn't believe it included instructions on how to to connect a tape recorder and tape them. Basically a major high street shop that also sold LPs, telling it's customers how to pirate them, even though it would lose them sales from tape sharing. Must've been pre the whole "home taping is killing music" campaign.

First record (and last for nearly a decade) I bought with my own money was this bit of rubbish done for Comic Relief (features members of Queen & they thank Freddie Mercury on the sleeve). Got it in Woolworths in 1991 just before 7" singles went, followed by records completely disappearing from sale where I lived.

Oh god, no. Just remembered, the first was really a copy of There's No One Quite Like Grandma, still around a while after it had come out, bought as a present for my Grandmother *shudders*

MadMelMon and Gaslight like this.
  6. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Beatles'65,technically not my money, I took it out of my church envelope that I was supposed to put in the church basket. I took it straight to Als record spot I felt guilty all the way home until I dropped the needle on that record. My life ain't been the same since. :agree:

Adam9, forthlin and Aftermath like this.
  7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Them's the Vagaries....

8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Beatles - "Hard Day's Night" b/w "I Should Have Known Better" with pic sleeve. The pic sleeve is long gone but I still have the 45 - with my name on the label in black magic marker! The grooves on that 45 look like ten miles of bad road.

[​IMG]

This is still one of my favorite 7" pic sleeves ever - I should buy a copy!

Peter Pyle likes this.
  9. ThePostElectroGranger

ThePostElectroGranger Forum Resident

The Jimi Hendrix Experience. I left it at my ex girlfriend's best friends house and I'm more saddened by that than the breakup

Aftermath likes this.
  10. papatwo

papatwo Abiding Member

No need. I trashed the cover with my clumsy attempt to peel off the paste over. I still have it as a precious and painful reminder of my good luck and of my bad judgement.

11. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

Genesis, We Can't Dance

LivingForever likes this.
  12. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Well after all, they were bigger than...;)

BTW, I'd have instructed the teen on how to play a record while quickly advising her that the tracks on that album with no vocals are NOT by The Beatles so judge accordingly.

Aftermath, PH416156 and Ed Hughes like this.
  13. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

Abbey Road. It's been downhill ever since. . . Last album I totally trashed too.

Scooter59 and Aftermath like this.
  14. T-Bird

T-Bird Forum Resident

Friday night at K-Mart. The newest release.
    Not my first record, but an early one that I can remember.
    I was too young to drive. Rode with Mom on payday.
    Used to cut grass, shovel snow etc.. for 'record money'.

[​IMG]

15. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

First self bought Vinyl: a-ha "East Of The Sun, West Of The Moon", Winter 1990/1991 at the age of 14. First CD was "Discography" by the Pet Shop Boys about a year later.

Mark B. and c-eling like this.
  16. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Being born in 1982 I was at the tail end of records as a small kid. I do remember buying the 45 singles of You Got It (Orbison) and "When I'm With You" by Sheriff lol

c-eling likes this.
  17. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I guess the only difference between the OP's modern scenario and us oldsters here is we didn't have to ask where the needle goes. By the time I had or bought my own records, I'd watched people 'drop the needle' countless times. Because...... that was the times.

Aftermath likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

First record I bought with my own money? Money that I earned from a job? Wow, good question, not sure. Would have been my first after school job at KPFK Pacifica Radio in 1973. Hmmmm, I really never noted that momentous occasion. I believe it was GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD.

Scooter59 and Mark B. like this.
  19. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Xanadu soundtrack, I was 8, lawn mowing money, bought at Kmart, played on a cheapo player that my mother had, I didn't care, it was ELO! and a beauty on the cover :)

Mark B. likes this.
  20. That was an awful long time ago. Gotta think about this one....
    Seems like I bought the Soundtracks to both Star Wars and Saturday Night Fever at about the same time. Can't think of anything I bought before those, but it may come to me later.

Mark B. likes this.
  21. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Paid for with the ten dollar bill I got in a card from a relative for my 11th birthday (and I'm pretty sure I had some money left over to buy some candy!) I remember getting it at the Alexander's department store at the big shopping mall on Rt 95 in Milford, CT.

[​IMG]

22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

We're talking about vinyl, only? So:

First 45: U2 - Desire
    First LP: Pink Floyd - More

..too bad Pink Floyd didn't give away their last album for free, just like U2 did
    ;)

23. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Classic!! :laugh:

forthlin likes this.
  24. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Jimi Hendrix -- Are You Experienced?

Peter Pyle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.