Hot Stampers (Better Records) - One more question...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Victor Martell, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fairaintfair

fairaintfair I Buried Paul

Nail hit on head.

willied likes this.
  2. fairaintfair

Many have. I am one of them. And I'm a happy (abet infrequent) customer.

EndOfTheRainbow, willied and marcb like this.
  3. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Instead of posting ridiculous uninformed asinine accusations, buy a freakin’ record. If you don’t like it, post how much it sucked and return it and get your money back. Otherwise, accept what actual customers have reported and shut up.

4. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

A $30 record is not worth 199 because someone says it sounds good...it’s just odd that people fall for this....

GimiSomeTruth and goodiesguy like this.
  5. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

I don’t agree with any of this, and will say whatever I feel to be the truth....if you don’t like it then ignore it....

GimiSomeTruth, goodiesguy and bootbox like this.
  6. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

That’s not the point he is calling hotstampers to records that are known to be mediocre at best...that’s probably why he isn’t giving deadwax info

goodiesguy and Admerr like this.
  7. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

If a seller is obscuring matrix information that is suspect, pure and simple, and it harms resale value. What a waste of time and money.

goodiesguy and Admerr like this.
  8. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

It would be less expensive to purchase the same record from different pressing plants, do your own listening, keep the best sounding ones and sell the ones that you don't think sound as good. That would be more fun than shelling out a few hundred dollars for this or that record.

dee and moople72 like this.
  9. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

How are they “clearly” known to be mediocre?

11. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Let’s say you have an OJC that sound great....that’s awesome but it’s still a $30 dollar record...

because I’ve been collecting jazz records for over 10 years, all of them are well documented and have a set market value, most of which is based on rarity...

12. How old are Tom’s ears anyways?

13. fairaintfair

Better Records have no resale value that equal the purchase price (or rarely do). Port does not claim they do. It's also not the point of the service.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  14. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Rather ridiculous but to each their own.

dee likes this.
  15. fairaintfair

Who cares "what is known"? As long as it sounds amazing.

Even Steve Hoffman commented above that he's heard the thin waxed "Super Saver" series sound better than many original pressings.

And isn't this the joy of playing records? The messy variables? I say dogma equals awful art...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    willied and marcb like this.
  16. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Nothing wrong with a great sounding record....but selling one without any info and then charging ultra premium prices isn’t right...

someone is going to buy that OJC from him for 199 when they can get the same record for 15

goodiesguy and moople72 like this.
  17. fairaintfair

Feels pretty right to me. I love my copy of BR's Armed Forces. Well worth it!

willied and marcb like this.
  18. fairaintfair

To you perhaps?

Respectfully, At least let us know what kind of system you have? Room acoustics and signal chains are everything, yes?

19. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

It’s all in my personal details like everyone else...you can see for yourself

20. fairaintfair

Apologies! I was looking at wrong tab

21. It's not about stubbornness. If a potential customer feels it's not a service, it's not a service. That's how it works. They advertise, we decide. We're not wrong or close-minded if we don't purchase his product just because of a money back guarantee. Do you wish to force every potential customer to try his product? Or any company's products because of the claims they make?

Shawn likes this.
  22. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Am I missing something? Tom Port describes the one he is selling as "This vintage Jazzland pressing", not an OJC.

23. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

I'm not sure if you're joking, but the last thing I want to do is start selling rejects on Discogs. That alone is a time vs. money equation that I am not interested in addressing. I generally already have at least a few to several copies I've burned through before resorting to Better Records. The overflow copies I have now become gifts for friends or resold to various local record stores.

For me, life and listening time is too precious to spend on shipping and handling. I love collecting records and I don't want to end up creating drudgery for my favorite hobby. YMMV.

LivingForever and Tullman like this.
  24. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

I couldn't disagree more and here's a real-life example: I had been chasing a great pressing of Innervisions for years, spending an average of $30 a copy. I amassed 10 copies and they were varying degrees of mediocrity (oh the tyranny of overgraded vinyl).

I went to his site, saw a listing for sale and thought, "what do I have to lose?" When it arrived I played it and it was analog bliss -- how did I know this? Because I already had 10 freaking copies to compare it with!

You may argue that the next $30 spent on my 11th or 12th copy might have been "the one." Sure, it's possible. And yet it may have also saved me another $300 chasing a white whale.

If that's your jam, buying scores of copies, be my guest. But don't tell me a $30 record isn't worth ten times as much to someone who can now devote his resources to a new whale.

25. Farmer Mike

Farmer Mike Forum Resident

goodiesguy, Anton888, Shawn and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.