How Bad can ones stereo equipment be.....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by allied333, Sep 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile Thread Starter

I know audiophiles are very detailed with audio equipment and buy the best they can afford after much research. But at this site how poor does some stereo systems perform? I suspect 90% of audiophiles have a very good sounding system and likely most within 10% (for lack of better words) of the top performing audio systems on this site. Your thoughts?

2. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I think I have a very weak system compared to most others. But, for now, it’s the best I can afford. And, I suppose little by little as per economics, I’ll attempt to upgrade.

I think there is prob no end to upgrading. If one buys a super TT the rest of the system will have to match it in performance. If not the other components will need an upgrade.

It the latest “Stereophyle” mag, 10/20, they list recommended components. Very few are below $500 while most much higher. Yet, I don’t mind that perceived extravagance. Nope. It’s a hobby. And one goes as far in a hobby as they can economically. To many, it’s enjoyable.

I may save money or use a credit card, but not if I’m happy with what I got. Or, I may stay put.

I’m sure many, many people have better systems then I, but I’m happy with what I have. I was playing a few vinyls tonight and was very pleased with the sound.

3. moops

moops Senior Member

I don't upgrade gear anywhere near what I think most audiophiles do, and I can't buy a piece of gear just to try it out. I work within a budget and when I purchase a new piece of gear, I do so with the aim (hope) of that new piece being a keeper and taking my system up a notch.

I've made some mistakes along the way, learned a bit too, but the fun has always outweighed the frustration and I can safely say that I'm very happy with where I'm currently at with my CD playback. It's the best my system has ever sounded to me, so I can't ask for more than that.

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

You must be having sleep issues :cheers:

5. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

I suspect that we all have poor performing stereo equipment and room set ups, at least as far as the comparison with a live performance is concerned.

However that does not matter as long as the fun and enjoyment is there. For me it has been there since I started with low-fi equipment as a teenager and it continues to day after 40 years of listing to music. I also enjoy achieving an incremental improvement of the SQ and I keep on working towards the ultimate SQ!

Alan2 and SSoundLtd like this.
  6. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

The question isn't how bad is the equipment but how bad is the installation. Give me inexpensive but basically uncolored equipment in a great room and I'll make it sing. Install much better quality gear into a poor situation and the stereo will sound sucky.

The other question is the listener. I know many musicians who own average to poor sounding stereo equipment and they don't care. They hear the music correctly in their head anyway.

A mid-fi system, set up with care, can make the music come alive. It can draw you in. For many folks, that's all they need.

7. SSoundLtd

SSoundLtd Forum Resident

I'm sure some would look at my Frankenstein setup that I've pieced together in my music room and go wth is that?! :p
    I don't care because I'm the only one who plays and listens to it especially right now. If you enjoy your system and it sounds good to your ears that's all that matters.

8. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I've heard some diminutive system's spin magic, synergy.

9. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

The guys that research the snot out of purchases and do extensive auditioning I'll bet have pretty amazing systems.

OTOH, those that plunk down a bundle of cash at a "high-end" dealer, in my multiple experiences, have a hot mess.

I've known a few guys in the business. They're salesmen first, audiophiles distant second. And that is by necessity, I think, it is a tough business.

10. I guess it depends on perspective - to audiophile or really go "Audiophile", how important or commited one is to finding the best possible, ever stepping, hopefully, upward for better sound quality thru better gear with a nod for room & set-up. I stopped chasing & enjoy some minor tweaks to set-up instead. I'd say my system & room would score about 30% of what is possible performance. I like to think of my system's audio quality as an impressionistic painting that conveys a lot emotional involvement rather than a transparent photo correct copy.

11. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

I have a decent system that works well for me. However, room placement is not ideal. This happens when you live in 500 sqft. I'm sure it could sound better in a different room, but it's good for now.

HiFi Guy 008 and david1111 like this.
  12. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

I've heard some real budget systems that were a real surprise... and I've heard some expensive systems that have left me cold. So much depends on room, source, component matching, and expectations.

My current system, considering its price, is one of my favorites that I've put together. Sure I've heard better but my stereo is a good balance between "serious" hi-fi and general everyday music listening.

13. allied333

allied333 Audiophile Thread Starter

You are not likely considered an audiophile yet,

14. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

My system kicks ass! Wanna know how I know? Cuz I said so:)

15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

My system is literally the cheapest good stuff I could find and it's not a pimple on the butt of the average system here. Nevertheless, it's far and away the best stuff I've ever owned, so it's all relative. Many times I've thought to myself (usually after a major upgrade or problem fix) that if my system was any better I'd never leave the house, but I don't expect anyone else would share that opinion.

Man at C&A, Manimal, Big Blue and 4 others like this.
  16. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I try not to leave the house. I play music constantly. Every upgrade and I am back to wanting to listen to all of my albums all over again. When you find yourself wanting to listen and that is the focus of your waking hours, that is when you know you have a great system. It is all about you in this hobby.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Echo, M.R.Collins, cut-out and 3 others like this.
  17. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Buying quality used gear is one way of jumping up a few rungs on the audiophile ladder without dropping a huge amount of cash. Do your homework, know what you're after, and be patient - you can assemble a killer system.

Also, as others have noted, proper set-up is crucial. I highly recommend the book Get Better Sound by Jim Smith. Reading it and following his tips, many of them absolutely free, had a huge impact on my sound.

18. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

And don't let anyone tell you different!:D

Actually, that pretty much sums it up, if you like what you're hearing, who gives a rats a$$ what anyone else thinks!

19. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Being an audiophile is a state of mind, not of equipment quality. It just so happens that this state of mind usually does drive one to seek the highest fidelity that one can afford.

Being an audiophile is a journey. And most of us started out with something along the lines of an AM radio and a mickey-mouse record player when we were kids. But at some point we got bit with the bug, and many of us became obsessed with upgrading.

I've known multiple audiophiles who own amazing systems and who drive a crappy old beater of a car. It's really just a matter of priorities.

Lenny99, Manimal, Soundgarden and 7 others like this.
  20. Noel Patterson

Noel Patterson Music Junkie

Like mentioned above, I've heard some mega buck systems that sounded horrible to me. I feel that synergy between components and the room are key to great sound. I think you can build an amazing system relatively inexpensively with careful matching of pieces, paying attention to the space they will occupy and careful set-up. Throw thousands at any system and set it up poorly or put it into a room it can't breathe in, and it will not sound as good as it should

Manimal, timind and Mr.Sign like this.
  21. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

You've got me curious now.

dkmonroe likes this.
  22. Lenny99

Lenny99 The truth sets you free.

I have read about professional musicians who have bare bones equipment, but they don’t care because they know how it’s supposed to sound. They are not into stereo equipment.

23. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

First off I always tell people to get in where they fit in and enjoy what they got.

I do laugh at people trying to put a % Percentage % on sound quality, build quality and performance. Thinking a $700 system is 90% of the sound quality of a $100,000 system. Then say that the last 10% is not worth the money and it's all diminishing returns. You'll also hear, do you get 100 times better amp costing $60,000 as you would get with a $600 amp? Is it really a 100 times better?

IMHO most who try to put these percentages on equipment cost haven't a clue and are reaching for self validation of what they actually have, forced or otherwise.

Do you think that the ones spending $50,000, $75,000, $100,000 on a system haven't ever used a $500 vintage receiver? Or put together $1000, $2000, and $5000 systems? Most might have started there, many will just for kicks spend $2000 on a weekend to try something they are interested in on a fluke. Then it gets stacked in the garage with all the other stuff they played with over the years that can't beat what the have in their main system.

That's my thoughts.

But never forget to get in where you fit in and enjoy what you got, unless you feel the need to do it at the expense of others.

24. 4-2-7

4-2-7 Forum Resident

Bingo

Nathan Z and TarnishedEars like this.
  25. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

my system is my gaming PC laptop and some Koss KTXPro1 headphones that cost $19. Sounds great. I'm completely happy with it.

Duke Fame and Coltrane811 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.