How close is your nearest brick and mortar record store?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by spartanmanor, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

There is a Hastings 2.3 miles from my home.

2. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Gotcha. I haven't been to that place in Redwood City, either, although it's on my list of places to check out. Generally speaking, I've found that most of the shops outside the SF/Berkeley/Oakland area are great for a visit, but not places I'd want to go to regularly.

3. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

There's a great little hole-in-the-wall shop within a mile of my house as the crow flies, who are moving to a bigger location in the same neighborhood very soon. The next closest one is ten miles away but is moving 3 miles closer this month. I don't visit either of them as much as I want to, but my wallet doesn't mind.

4. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

One of my best friends worked at Starbound for years (at the old location). That was a great store in its prime.

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

It's over 30 miles, but is between home and the office. He really doesn't carry many new Lps, but his special order costs are competitive with online. Plus he lets me consign.

6. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

Since my curiosity is piqued, may I ask who it was?

7. About three blocks. Two more blocks and there's a decent used record store.

8. About 10 miles from here in Rotterdam. De Plaatboef is very nice for 2nd hand vinyl. Sadly Rotterdam doesn't have any good CD stores anymore, the last once closed 2 years ago. For CDs I always go to Utrecht, which is about 30 miles from here.

9. I Walk Like A Panther

I Walk Like A Panther Forum Resident

2-5 miles. A good store, too.

10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Good to know. Living in the Village in 88 was pretty insane though. Particularly since lots of vinyl was being unloaded for next to nothing when CDs were the new hot thing.

11. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

The closest record store is a two minute walk away (steep hill, though). But the one I visit most is a little further. 15 minutes or so on foot.

12. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

30 miles. But I live out in the country. Everything is 30 miles away. Haha. I try to limit myself to only go once a week...

I'm lucky that there's a big college there and there's actually a few stores in the town. I generally only go to the one tho. They are very good to me and always price things under retail.

13. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I was skeptical of the place in Redwood City, but when I asked for two LPs I did not see in the store, he let me go up to his library and see if I could find them. My jaw dropped when I saw it, an amazing collection that filled an entire apartment upstairs, and I did find the two LPs I was looking for! He wanted about $25 each for them, which to me, was expensive at the time (stereo Phil Spector Christmas Gift For You and stereo Hollyridge Strings Christmas album), but I bought them anyway.

14. veejaycollector

veejaycollector Forum Resident

I have six stores that are within five miles of my house. Unfortunately one of them is closing at the end of the month. He pushes CDs and new vinyl but has reluctantly sold a few used LPs. The others stores are predominately used vinyl with hardly any CD offerings and VERY limited new vinyl. Go figure.

15. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

just the trend now that a great many of these stores aren't stocking anywhere near the same quantity of used vinyl anymore. and you're right that most of that is because in the late 80s and early 90s, everybody was unloading their vinyl collections and there wasn't nearly as much new vinyl being made. now it's just easier for these shops to buy the new stuff and not have to worry about sorting through big collections. hell, even Prex has drastically cut back the amount of used stuff they buy.

16. Trace

Trace Senior Member

I have several within about 25 miles, bit the closest is about 12 miles away. In fact, I just returned from Easy Street Records and Silver Platters SODO a few minutes ago. Picked up Taste-Live In Concert for $7 !

17. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

There's a HMV that's about a five-minute walk from here. Their selection is underwhelming, though, so I usually end up heading to downtown Toronto, where there's a lot of great stores (Sonic Boom, Rotate This, Good Music, Soundscapes, etc.). I imagine I'll spend some time visiting at least a couple before seeing Fleetwood Mac tomorrow night.

18. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

I suppose I am lucky in that I am about 2 blocks from a shop called Logan Hardware and maybe less than a block from one called Bucket of Blood, go a couple of miles in 2 different directions and there are 5 others or so that are good.
    I notice that so far us less than one milers are in majority, which I didn't expect..

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  19. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

I can hit four different stores on the way home from work, adding an extra hour to my commute. Doable without raising suspicions. Most of you know what I mean :sigh:

ARK and ubiknik like this.
  20. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Well, Wal-Mart doesn't sell vinyl (or even any CDs, except for country music and The Eagles) so it would be 60 miles. Downtown LaCrosse has a nice record shop called Deaf Ear Records, and Onalsaska has Best Buy, Barnes & Noble and others. I buy CDs, but as I said Wal-Mart has next to nothing for music.

That's why Amazon has became my go to store. I'd love to support a brick and mortar record store more often, but it's just easier to order what I want for the web and have it sent to me. But you can't beat the record shop experiance, you really feel like you've bought something special when you buy from a brick and mortar record shop. Or I do anyway.

21. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

Are there any good record stores left in Salt Lake City? I'm going there in April and would love to check one out. Am pleasantly surprised the Record Exchange here in Boise is still going strong and we have Hastings as well.

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

20-40 miles.

23. Psychsound

Psychsound Forum Resident

I am proud to say that my town, New Paltz, NY, has two independent record stores right across the street from each other. Lots of vinyl, used CDs and books also.

24. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

20 years ago, Sydney had Sam The Record Man, Radioland and Music World (formerly A&A). There was an HMV as late as 2010 but it has since closed. All that is left now is CdsRUs on Charlotte Street which is a forty odd minute walk from my house

25. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

Randy's seems to be the only game in town, at this point. As I mentioned before, there's also Graywhale and FYE (although not as vinyl heavy). If you're into heavy metal at all, there's always The Heavy Metal Shop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.