How far away do you sit from your speakers? Poll

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by james, Jun 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james

james Summon The Queen Thread Starter

I hope these answer options aren’t too goofy.

Tim 2 likes this.
  2. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Usually 7 feet.

3. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

I have a 7 foot speaker spread. Sometimes zero toe in and sometimes lots of toe in depending on my mood. My couch is about 9ft...maybe 10ft.

4. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I answered 10-13' but I have four systems set up in the house and the distance varies wider than that range depending on the system. I try to sit in the sweet spot for each system but in the living room, the speakers are facing west and my favorite seat is southwest of the speakers (though I do have a recliner directly west so have a sweet spot in that system too). Most of the time in the living room, music is background, even LPs. Still, sounds great to me, just no soundstage.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

I sit 9' 6" from my speakers and they are 5' 2" apart. They are toed in to fire over each shoulder in the listening position.

6. timind

timind phorum rezident

9-11 feet for me. Sometimes I'll pull in closer if a song demands.

Eigenvector likes this.
  7. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Main system probably 5-6’ away so I answered 4-6. I listen to my secondary system probably more and sit usually 10’ away. I prefer near field listening and in the sweet spot for critical listening.

8. I have 2 different systems in my entertainment room. One system is my 7.1 home theater system, which has my ADC RVC 3500+6 turntable and several optical disc players. The other is a discrete quadraphonic system, including a turntable(an AT-LP120-USB because it can carry the frequency range for the 30khz carrier signal for CD-4 discrete records, the high-dollar modern turntables don't do that very well) and a quad R2R deck. The main channel speakers are all located in the corners of a rectangular room, center channel below the flat screen TV and a sub-woofer on the floor facing a wall. All speakers, except the sub are located above ear level, like in a Theater. I have 2 recliners in the center of the room facing forward towards the TV and front speakers. All speakers, except the sub, are over 10 feet away from the central recliners.
    With the entertainment room set up for surround sound and quadraphonic, locating the speakers like in a theater seems to work best.

9. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Here for the chuckles.

9ft here....always preferred nearfield......helps take the room out of the equation.Better imaging also.Listening room is close to 1700sq feet so i have tried a lot of setups,always return to 9ft:)

bever70 and timind like this.
  10. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I sit 9' out with my speakers 8' apart center to center creating an almost equilateral triangle which is perfect.

bever70, noladaoh, trd and 2 others like this.
  11. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Depends on the speakers but usually between 8 to 9 feet.

12. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

8 - 10 feet

13. Glmoneydawg

Which is it? 8ft...10ft?...holly hell,how deep is your couch man!;)

bever70 likes this.
  14. Slippers-on

Slippers-on Forum Resident

15. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Those are pretty exact numbers guys --- do you like hang a tennis ball from the ceiling so you know exactly where to position your forehead so it's precisely at that measurement?? :D:cool: You know, like guys hang one in the garage so their wives know how far to pull the car in.......

drew phillips and Tim 2 like this.
  16. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I'm estimating given my room sizes. Main system is in LR of 13x11, setup is on shorter side, speakers are 2 feet from the wall, and my listening chair is about 2 feet from window, which leaves something like 8 feet between me and speakers

In BR it's 11x11, speakers are about 1 foot from wall, and my bed's headboard is practically at the opposite window, so it's closer to 10 feet between my ears and the speakers, even though the room is smaller

Glmoneydawg likes this.
  17. Glmoneydawg

We own tape measures....and keep them on the coffee table....and yes i have a small dent in my forehead from the tennis ball.

18. timind

timind phorum rezident

Between 9 and 11 feet, not 9 feet 11 inches:p

But yes, I do measure my speaker location to get exact toe-in and distance from walls. OCD about that.

GLUDFSSR, Glmoneydawg and George P like this.
  19. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Ahhh... glossed over, thanks for clarifying. Just having fun with it... :)

We're all a tad obsessive about something (present company included), that's a given.... and we're all easy targets for a little ribbing as a result! It's the ones that realize it who can get a good laugh at their own expense!

20. Glmoneydawg

The pinnacle of this hobby is pretty much the definition of OCD....oh ...and welcome to said pinnacle:)

Clonesteak and timind like this.
  21. Jim0830

Jim0830 Forum Resident

Literally 7'-9". If the home theater recliner is up 7', it it is fully reclined 9'. Thanks to ARC the sound is great either way.

22. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I used to be like that but now exact sitting position doesn't seem as important. Not sure if it's my age and hearing or simply speakers with better dispersion. :shh:

23. siebrand

siebrand music lover

Oh my Lord....
    another thread in feet and inches...
    This is an INTERNATIONAL forum!!!
    although obviously there is a majority of Americans.
    The metric measurement takes. METERS, not INCHES and FEET ... okay ... said with sympathy.
    I wear the 45, tonight I will measure ... :rolleyes:

Harry C likes this.
  24. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

1700 sq ft for 1 room? As one example, that's close to a 30' x 60' room. That's possibly more than the sq footage of my entire first floor (excepting garage). Maybe meant as volume in cu ft?

Doug

25. Glmoneydawg

Nope...might be closer to 1600...but yep square ft...its about 80% of my basement

Doug_B likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.