How good are my rips?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Fahzz, Jan 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have 120o CD's that I ripped to flac over the last ten years, using different drives and different ripping programs. Many of the flac files sound a lot worse than others. Is there software I can use to evaluate the quality of the "bad" flac files? I understand that it might be that the original CD's themselves were not very good, but I'd like to verify and either re rip them if appropriate, or buy a better CD version if one exists.
    I've seen some online references to something called "cuetool" but the references are several years old.
    EAC seems to require a new rip to compare to their database, and I'd like to avoid that process if I can. I have access to db PowerAmp and EAC, Foobar, and Media Monkey if that helps.
    Thanks.

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

A "bad" FLAC file doesn't sound bad, it skips or doesn't play at all. If you don't like the sound of your rips, get a different mastering.

Load one of the bad-sounding rips into foobar2000, highlight all files, and right-click to "Verify integrity". I doubt you'll find a problem. I've never seen one.

Lucca90, Shak Cohen and punkmusick like this.
  3. Anachostic

Anachostic Forum Resident

4. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll try these. I'm think I'm done buying hardware - now it's time to obsess over the music files...

5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

CueTools checks rips against AR and their own database, so you get two results.

The issue I have with CueTools is, I rip a CD to .flac, get an AR log, then check it later against CueTools, and the number of matching discs in AR is often wildly different, always smaller.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I heard (or actually read it here), that cue tools can correct errors that are burned into a disc (a bad rip) or parts of original discs that do not read correctly using a database.

I have a few hundred Classical discs that I burned off of originals that have errors every once in a while because I used Sony CD-R blank discs which are not so hot, and/or did not get on well with my otherwise wonderful CD-recorder.

I waited for many years to bother with these discs so that if it's true, cue tools can save them, there is more likelihood of these obscure titles being in the database after many years.

What and how do I do these "cue tools" corrected rip?

7. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

"Sounds bad", how are you listening to these rips, as that step may be the problem.

8. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Install CUETools & CUERipper:
    CUETools - CUETools wiki

Configure CUETools to look like this:

[​IMG]

Drop your CD-R files to the appropriate area and "Output" them to your hard drive. You can burn the new files to CD-R once completed.

quicksrt likes this.
  9. If you have ripped the CDs to FLAC format or to WAV doesn't matter. Both formats is the exactly original source, You can convert WAV to FLAC and back to WAV again and it's still the exactly source.

Nice to hear you choosed FLAC. There is still some people who still 2019 convert their CDs to 320 kbps MP3. If you rip vinyl discs you shall choose high resolution FLAC 24 bit 96 kHz, 24 bit 192 kHz or higher.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Thank you.

Or then convert to FLAC 8 once completed.

11. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I was going to say something, but why bother. Do whatever makes you happy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.