How Good Is The Sound Of Mosaic CD/LP sets

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KLM, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KLM

KLM Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a few of the cd sets but never had the original albums to compare them to. The packaging, booklet and photos are top rate and to my ear the sound quality is pretty good. Anyone else have any words of wisdom. I would be especially interested in the sound quality of their lps.

Mosaic Records is having a sale this month (10% off cds, 20% off lps) and I might pick up a few more sets such as the complete Miles/Coltrane Columbia Years.

Your wisdom and thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Mike V

Mike V New Member

I love these sets myself. I have the Miles/Coltrane set, and the sound is very good. I haven't listened in a while, but I much prefer the mastering of the tracks from Kind Of Blue to the most recent reissue from Classic (those are the only 2 I have for comparisons). Expect quiet, but not silent pressings. They are pressed at RTI, but for whatever reason, I find these to be the most problematic RTI pressings I've had. In particular, there were tiny (barely visible) blisters that were very audible (pops, ticks) that radiated generally in one direction from the center of the disc, usually about an 2 inches beyond the label. Half the discs had this problem, but Mosaic is super duper cool about replacing problem discs.

One other issue I had with the set. They are now using the poly sleeves instead of rice paper sleeves. I find that these damage the records for whatever reason. My RTI discs shipped and kept in rice paper have NONE of the blemishes I see on the ones from Classic and other vendors which use the poly/paper sleeves. Normally, these marks don't sound, but they don't look pretty either.

Sorry to ramble, but in short I think the set is worth picking up! Enjoy.

Mike

3. Mike V

Mike V New Member

Oh, one more note. On the Miles Quintet box (with Wayne Shorter, Herbie H & crew), the "Circle In The Round" track has been slightly compressed and some bass was sucked out. It's in the liner notes. Apparently, at around 30 minutes, they had to do this to keep the track on 1 side. Even still, it's a great sounding transfer and an awesome track (IMO). Just not well suited to LP for time reasons alone. Thought you'd like to know!

I'm very partial to this quintet box, and think the music more enjoyable (Miles Smiles alone is a killer!) in a lot of ways to the Miles/Coltrane stuff. Please don't flame me, Coltrane fans, 'cause I'm one of you! Listen for yourself and decide.

Mike

4. ED in NY

ED in NY New Member

I've gotta say that I really enjoy Mosaic's handiwork. I have the T-Bone Walker, Django Reinhardt & Otis Spann box sets and love the quality work they put into them. I put them right along side of Bear Family.

Best - ED

5. KLM

KLM Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks Ed & Mike. I think I might mosey on over to their sight and buy a few more while their on sale. You might want to as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.