How long should a tube phono stage take to warm up?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

Just curious what members experiences are. It seems mine takes 30 minutes but is optimal at 60 minutes. This seems fairly long time.

Any thoughts?

2. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

That's normal.

3. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I usually try and let tubes warm up for about an hour before use.

4. LeeS

Thanks guys. Just needed a sanity check on this.

5. taters

taters New Member

90 minutes!

6. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

one to two hrs

7. jt1stcav

jt1stcav Say It With Single-Ended Triodes

Not to be a killjoy or anything, but I usually start playing my music about 5 to 10 minutes after I power up my tube system. I know the music sounds its best after an hour of warmup time, but I just hate having my SET amp/SRPP preamp idling at full power with absolutely NO music playing whatsoever. Seems a waste of tube life to me (and 300Bs ain't cheap to this poor slob) just to have my setup sit quietly waiting to warm up for critical listening.

Thus endeth my opinion on the matter...carry on with your discussions.

8. vinyl anachronist

vinyl anachronist Senior Member

I feel the same way.

9. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Well, duh. I fire up my stuff and start playing within 5 minutes of start up.

However, I don't do any CRITICAL listening for at least 1/2 hour, sometimes longer depending on the gear. Tonality changes radically.

10. jt1stcav

Well, duh...I know that!

:hide:(just messin' with ya, big guy...I kid 'cause I care...don't be hatin').:laugh:

I usually turn my system on once I get home from work, pop in a CD as background music while I'm preparing dinner in the kitchen or something, and then do my critical listening afterwards when I can sit down in front of my setup and relax to my music. I just hate having my SET amp on wide open without any music playing...

Please don't have the Gorts bannish me, Steve...:angel:

11. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

I think this is what we all do. My c-j pre and phono stage will not even let me hear anything for the first minute or two. I usually put on something right away and listen as I do other things. Then after playing an SACD or an LP I start really listening. So about 45 minutes warm up. VPI says the TNT needs an hour before being fully warmed up.

12. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I fall asleep within the first 30 minutes specially with the lights out and the ac blowing cool on hot summer days like today. That why I like Ceedee's

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

That's exactly how long it takes for my McIntosh tube pre and amp to warm up.

Of course you can hear the music seconds after turning it on... and you cn actually hear the difference once the tubes have been warmed up.

latheofheaven likes this.
  14. LeeS

Looks like we are in line on this. Thanks! :)

15. Tony Plachy

Tony Plachy Senior Member

TT, You need to lay off of the sauce, you're drinken too much. :D

16. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I only wish....:laugh: :laugh:

17. jt1stcav

I hate it when I get a little too comfortable and doze off in the middle of an album or CD...I'd wake up and play it again (unless I'm just too damn tired...then I shut my system off and just go to bed).

18. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

Sound is hard with insufficient depth for about 30 mins. Still improves until about 90 mins.

19. LeeS

Pretty much my experience as well.

20. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Me, it's my terrier. He jumps on the couch and falls asleep in my lap.
    next thing I know Im snoring right along with him!

21. LeeS

Jeff,

My terrier has her own listening chair. It's funny as I can tell what music she likes. I think she prefers the classical I play and the Britpop as well. :D

22. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Cary Audio

I use a Cary Audio PH 301 MK II tubed phono stage. It uses 12AU7s and 12AX7s. I turn it on at least one hour prior to using it, usually it is on longer than one hour prior to listening.

Scott

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have found the difference between 10 minutes and 60 minutes playing vinyl on a Mac C-220/MC275 combo to be startling. I noticed this recently when playing Exile on Main Street -- I started 10 minutes after turning on the amps, thinking it didn't sound much better than my old first press CD. But when I got to "Let it Loose", last track, 3rd side, about 45 minutes through the album, I heard the sound field just open up -- just blown away by the sound of Keith's leslie guitar track and Nicky's piano. Now I know.

By the way, a little OT, but my pre-amp allows me to program the phono tubes so that they stay off during CD play, which is supposed to save tube life. It's a little inconvenient because I need to fiddle w/the menu whenever I want to play some vinyl. Is it worth it, in terms of tube?

24. LeeS

Easily could be. Tubes can be pricey, especially for matched pairs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.