How loud do you normally listen to your music?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by timind, Jul 29, 2021.

1. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

Interesting and somewhat related. I recently began using my phone app to check ambient noise levels. On a recent vacation trip I measured 80-85 dB on the plane, and about the same in a noisy shop - walking on a busy street is a bit less, depending on traffic.

I already suffer from tinnitus and hearing loss, but I had no idea ambient noise levels were generally so high - the world is a noisy place.

2. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

No way to measure. Normally a couple clicks above normal conversation. Sometimes a few clicks above that so conversation is possible but a PITA. I have close neighbors and that affects the ability to crank it up which I'd like to do occasionally.

timind likes this.
  3. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

Free app
    NIOSH Sound Level Meter App | NIOSH | CDC

it is good to measure a few times a year
    If the level is continuously increasing, you may want to have your hearing checked.
    With older folks loud TV volume is a sign.

whenever I test, ie, tones, pink noise, etc., at a loud volume, I use these muffs.
    I know, go ahead and laugh, lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  4. geezin'

geezin' Forum Resident

Thanks. A quick check (1 minute sample) says 66.0 dB with a peak of 73.5 dB as I was listening when I saw this. Neighbor is on night shift this week so I cut him some slack.

izeek, timind and Ingenieur like this.
  5. Ingenieur

Go into 'settings'
    Set time weighting to 'fast'
    Frequency weighting to 'Z'

This will give a better instantaneous value

also, with everything off, measure your ambient background level.

6. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

No laughing here.

[​IMG]

Ro-Go, mackat, Kyhl and 3 others like this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident Thread Starter

Thanks for answering @bever70 post. I was going to, but was called away. Basically though, there's no way you can hold a normal conversation with someone if the music is playing between 80-90db. You would need to talk very loud to be heard over that, and the quality of your amp has nothing to do with it. 85db is 85db, no matter the source.

Ingenieur likes this.
  8. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Wonder why people on this forum seems to use mostly C-weighting ; it measures the bass frquencies too, which are harmless to the ear unless to place your ear very close to the speaker, or at insanely high levels.

9. Ingenieur

I use A for average level
    C for peaks, ie, dynamic range

The Pinhead likes this.
  10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Very thoughtful (and extensive) reply to my knee-jerk snarky post ...

I added Sound Meter (a free app) to my mobile telephone yesterday. Shows that I'd been listening at a fairly constant 75-80 dB (or more).

On my amp at home, volume knob was usually set around 9 o'clock. Now I've got it closer to 8 o'clock (gotta say, my Nait XS2 is just loafing :)).

I've doubtless already got some hearing damage -- 40+ years in the music biz, onstage in rock bands, recording sessions, as well as attending innumerable concerts, has no doubt taken its toll. I certainly wish to be able to hear music when I'm 90 (should I live so long.)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Zos93, izeek, Ingenieur and 1 other person like this.
  11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I can't laugh. You're listening to Andrew Hill. Great music.

Ingenieur likes this.
  12. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Well we are not discussing politics obviously with music playing at 80-90db :D. But we can exchange some sentences at a pretty normal level without having to shout at eachother.
    I measure with a phone app. Tried it last time at a concert, levels were around 90db and we had to shout at eachother, the music also sounded 'loud' to my ears (as in too loud for comfort). When I measure at home the 90db level sounds totally different, as in not uncomfortable at all. I still stand by my opinion that a fitting amp/speaker combination will make big volume sound less strained and more comfortable on the ears.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  13. The Pinhead

My rule of thumb is that as long as I can hear myself cough while listening, I'm fine. Sure as hell I can't hear anyone talking to me at those levels. Or the phone or doorbell ringing, which are all blessings:cool:

14. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I haven't learned a damn thing in this thread considering I've spent the longest time reading the comments than in any other thread topic.

CDV and izeek like this.
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

200db for me, I like to hear glass smash for those high frequencies..:edthumbs:

No actually in all seriousness, about 80db. But I’m really trying to enjoy music at lower volumes as I’d like to listen later at night.

timind likes this.
  16. izeek

izeek Drums, pulleeez!

loud enough to make my ears bleed, sike!
    80ish give or take a couple db.
    i listen in the 60-70 range mostly but go up for them friday and/or saturday nights.
    mondays are loud days. ill listen at 85-90.
    for an hour or two.

The Pinhead and timind like this.
  17. timind

What are you expecting to learn? The question is pretty simple, and plenty of answers to that simple question.

Ingenieur likes this.
  18. Tim Lookingbill

Well now that I know what I know about this thread, I have learned that I'ld rather watch grass grow.

19. Ingenieur

Actually this is a poll
    Look at the numbers for the answer
    ;)

20. Tim Lookingbill

Yeah, I saw that when I read the first page. What did you learn from it? What decibels sound like?

21. dividebytube

dividebytube Forum Resident

Back when I had UREI 813A speakers, I would try to go for "loud as live" sound levels. Plus the 604 driver, at least in that iteration, got more detailed the louder the volume got.

These days I don't play as loud - smaller room, less power - and different speakers. The KEF R500s aren't as dynamic or as BIG sounding as the UREIs but they are a touch more refined.

22. timind

Thanks for your thoughtful contribution. Enjoy your lawn.

23. MaxBuck

MaxBuck Forum Resident

My phone has an SPL meter app, along with the Bluesound control app. It's easy to do (though hardly research grade).

bhazen and timind like this.
  24. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Around 85db most times,although sometimes l’ll crank up a bit to around 90db.

The Pinhead and timind like this.
  25. The Pinhead

Lots of us apparently !:tiphat:

Dennis0675 and timind like this.