How much if any did Bon Scott contribute to AC/DC's Back in Black?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by serge, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

if brian is listed as a writer for the songs in ASCAP then he is entitled to something. if he's just listed on the album thats a different story

BS101 and Doggiedogma like this.
  2. ron/asheton

ron/asheton Forum Resident

Were you guys as shocked as me to find out that's not actually Joe Perry on Train Kept A Rollin?

bru87tr likes this.
  3. ron/asheton

I had a book that said something like, prior to Highway there were only two radio stations in the entire US that had ever played AC/DC.

fretter likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

thats not a writing credit. he got a flat performers fee that was agreed on prior to recording. songwriting has paper work that is filed with publishers and other organizations. either brian is listed on whats filed and would in theory receive money still or he isn't. only way around that is trying to give flat fees like ozzy did to jake e lee and bob dailsey at least for bark at the moon. surely someone here has access to see the officially filed writing credits for BIB

905, Gus Tomato, slipkid and 2 others like this.
  5. ron/asheton

Yes, just pointing out that at the end of the day it's business, we've been fooled before by it, and we'll be fooled again.

Especially back in the pre internet days, managing a performer was a bit like Pro Wrestling. Just make it up, enough people will believe it hook, line and sinker that it won't matter.

ZZ Top Eliminator is another one.

6. ron/asheton

I remember my buddy's brother getting one of those pre AC/DC Bon albums and we were so pumped. Until we played it. We were like, what the f**k IS this s**t?!

klockwerk likes this.
  7. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

I recently read Brian’s book. He writes that the Youngs handed him cassettes with rough tracks. The songs had titles. He was encouraged to write lyrics incorporating the titles. That’s what he did, at the rehearsal studio, on the flight to the Bahamas, and at Compass Point.

905, bru87tr, Gus Tomato and 2 others like this.
  8. ron/asheton

There's also an interview where he says he was handed and told basic lyrics and to work with them.

How is his book?

9. BS101

BS101 Iommic Life Complete

If you look closely at Brian during those snippets, perhaps even frame by frame, you can clearly see his head go back and to the left, for which the only possible explanation is that there was a second songwriter, on the grassy knoll.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Jaap74, redsock, The Hud and 7 others like this.
  10. ron/asheton

How long until AI comes out with Bon singing the whole BIB album?

11. Matthew Tate

i also think you can't do that anymore. after a lawsuit in the 1990's involving martha wash i think you have to credit all performers on albums

12. BS101

BS101 Iommic Life Complete

Tons already all over YouTube.

13. ron/asheton

If that's true it would still require people to follow laws, which...doesn't always happen.

Was that Gonna Make You Sweat?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Matthew Tate

yes it was that song that started it all.

15. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Excellent book but only covers his birth through the first warmup gigs of the BIB tour. This narrative is bookended by him losing and regaining his hearing. I really enjoyed it. Lots of cool tidbits about him and the area he grew up in.

905, slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. ron/asheton

I remember an interview where he said he was going build a recording studio in his hometown with BIB money, to give back to the kids. But around this time he moved to the states because he said taxes were taking it all back there.

17. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Nothing's Going to Change Presidente's Kokomo

Actually, the original For Those About to Rock Japan CD pressing has a midrange suckout. The 1989 Australia CD is much better.

18. Heavy Metal Snow White

Heavy Metal Snow White Just A Rock N' Roll Clown

19. Heavy Metal Snow White

Legitimizing the new lineup in the eyes of the fans + bringing Brian on as "one of the lads" and giving him a cut would ensure his silence, as well.

Plus they had no way of knowing that it was going to be the 2nd highest selling album of all time. Most likely why they quit giving him credit beginning with Razor's Edge.

Jimmy B. and Library Eye like this.
  20. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

They can release all of the Bon "Back in Black" AI they want. Listen to a Bon BIB track and then listen to the Brian. If you don't already appreciate the record, you're going to enjoy it even more. It's a Brian record for crying out loud! And I love Bon!

The Hud, Gus Tomato and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. Heavy Metal Snow White

Well, Bon wrote the songs, but we can still appreciate Brian's vocals on it...

Jimmy B. likes this.
  22. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

Do I think BS had input on writing some of the songs ? Yes, band members have said as much. I do think the Angus brothers were a very capable writing team as proven years since.

Do I think BJ was such a song writing genius with Geordie that he came into AC/DC and wrote a multimillion dollar seller his first try, NO. Did he have input, yes. I don’t think BJ wrote much in Geordie, right ? I mean some but not BIB level.

Interviews have proven BS def had input and prob way more than the boys are stating. Thats my take.

BTW: When DD came out, I played it to death. Great album which hasn’t got much mentions here.

Matthew Tate and Doggiedogma like this.
  23. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

If that's the history of it, fine. AI Bon songs on BIB--if it were ever a serious notion--would be changing history. I understand right now it's just a fun thing for someone to do. Eventually it may sound really really good.

24. Heavy Metal Snow White

I have zero interest in listening to any music created by AI.

fretter and Boomy like this.
  25. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Agreed

fretter likes this.